Dry Fasting. Is there any science to this?

(TJ Borden) #136

I think I understand it, but I can’t get over why someone would pour water on perfectly good bacon.

(Justin Roberts) #137

Here’s my n=1 for a dry fast.

I did a 24 hr dry fast Tuesday morning until Wednesday morning. I was 189 lbs Tuesday morning and 185.5 lbs Wednesday morning. A loss of 3.5 lbs. I consumed nothing for the full 24 hours. No food or liquids. I then broke my fast in the morning with a leftover double chicken bowl from Chipotle with sour cream and cheese. Had a plate of ham and cheese for lunch. I topped the day off with dinner: a 16oz hamburger steak pan seared in bacon drippings, lard, and its own “tallow”. I then added heavy cream to the leftover fat in the pan and deglazed the fond to make a sauce and poured over the steak turning it into this amazing, creamy Salisbury steak type meal.

This morning (Thursday) I was 187.

So even after my day after of feasting and fluid intake, I can assume my 1 day dry fast netted a 2lb weight loss.

During my fast I had a few food/drink cravings that were more habitual than anything. I ended up just going to bed at 9 PM (which is early for me) so I didn’t have to deal with any more cravings!

Overall it was a great experience for me. If you do try a dry fast, just listen to your body. I didn’t experience any negative effects, but that doesn’t mean you won’t. If you feel bad during a fast, break it.

(TJ Borden) #138

I have a pound of hamburger in the fridge I was trying to decide what to do with. Problem solved, because that looks AWESOME

(Justin Roberts) #139

You need to find some of this if you don’t have some…

http://www.adkinsbbq.com/products.html

It’s fantastic on just about all meats.

(Pablo Rodriges) #141

But the gum can spike your insulin level.

Did my second dry fast went 30 hours before I felt the need for a few sips of water (I talk a bit for work and my throat was dry.) Finishing the day out with just those sips. I have a bit of a headache and I am tired *not to sure if that is related or not). I will say starting around hour 26 or 27 I felt a little foggy and my brain was not as sharp as normal. But that seemed to pass until about an hour ago (so that would be around 32 hours after any significant water intake.) I’ll refuel after I get home and see what the scale says. I did this to try to eliminate inflammation I developed a week ago Monday after being glutened. Between yesterday morning when I woke up and this morning when I woke up I dropped 3.3 pounds. I’ll be glad to get home and drink some water.

Okay, updating this Wednesday morning: total loss for 35+ hour dry fast before drinking was 4.2 pounds. After refill I am down 3 and half from when I started but up 3 and half from my pre-glutened weight. So not sure if I am still dealing with the inflammation from that. I am going to go back to water fasting today. I don’t know that dry fasting has any appreciable benefits that I can measure for myself. I don’t think I will do this very often. It did seem to help with some of the inflammation so that’s good. Not sure it burns more fat than I do when water or fat fasting.

Oh, and I woke up and my face is swollen today. Not sure if it’s rebound effect or a sign I am sensitive to the pecans or sheep’s milk cheese I ate last night.

(Dan Dan) #144

For some their very thoughts can spike insulin but it is rare :open_mouth:

“No significant differences in the blood concentration of glucose, insulin and GIP or hunger were observed…”

(Pablo Rodriges) #145

when dry fasting your body break down old cells for energy. break down your fat cells to get water, that’s why you still pee, even not drinking.
after 3 days dry dry fast your system is reset.
dry fast is on another level, than water fast.
I have done 7 days water fasting this year.
3 times 3 days dry fasting, I have lost total since 1.1.2018. 24 kilo of fat. I am 58 old man.

I’m a 42 year old pescatarian triathlete, sun gazer, and regular faster. I have been intermittent fasting 20/4 year round, and dry fasting for 11 days 3 times per year, for approximately 6 years. I discovered dry fasting after being diagnosed in 2012 with Fibrillary Astrocytoma. I cured myself in under 6 weeks (time between scans). Seizures stopped inside 7 days. No medical interventions used at all and no relapse since. I’m currently 72 hours into my 11 day dry fast and all indicators are normal (as per usual). I cannot quote the science, however, I can speak from experience that dry fasting (for me) has been both safe and life changing.

(Bunny) #147

Drink water when you are thirsty!

(Geoff) #148

Proathelete, Can you please share more details about your 11 day dry fasting experience? Are you active during such a long dry fast? Do you ingest anything? can you please Share any articles from your research? Tips? What indicators are your speaking of that are all normal? Thanks!

I am currently 48 hours into a fast, with the last 28 hrs being hard dry and expect to transition back to water after 40 hrs of dry. I will probably end the fast after 4 days. I feel my energy levels dropping after 24 hrs of DF but a “fasting euphoria” coming on. I also feel like i have crossed into ketosis due to very limited hunger cravings.

(Justin Traer) #149

This user signed up, stayed for 5 days. Claims to have cured brain tumors with fasting.

S/he is dead or trolling. Overall, it sounds like terrible advice given they have ghosted this forum.

OR, I found the forum not very useful, am busy, and haven’t returned. But you do you. Have a great day.

(Justin Traer) #151

Fair enough. And a great day to you too.

So, I finally decided to jump in and try this. I did a soft dry fast on Sunday for about 16 hours and am planning on a 24+ hour hard dry fast tomorrow (I am water fasting today and Friday). I felt much better on Sunday than I had expected (I expected to feel super thirsty and dehydrated; I felt neither). The only negative, and I believe now that it’s due to how I ended the fast, was really bad leg cramps that night (after ending the fast with a regular meal and beverage). I hear that you have to carefully re-introduce water and I’ll be trying that this time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #153

I’ve just re-read this whole thread, and while I find the ideas intriguing, I’d really prefer to see more than just the one under-powered human study before making up my mind. I would really prefer a study with n = 100 or more, not a mere 10.

Furthermore, I’d particularly like to see a study discussing the difference in effects between dry fasting and wet fasting in humans. i just don’t see that the Papagiannopoulos study shows that dry fasting is an improvement over wet. Certainly, the claim that dry fasting is “three times better” is not discussed at all in that study.

The Papagiannopoulos study does at least prove the feasibility of dry fasting, and I am surprised that the participants were able to go five full days, because I didn’t think that was possible. So at least I’ve learned something useful. I’ve also learned that there is a protein named for the Fate who spins out the thread of life—that is a fact so useless that I’m probably going to remember it until the day I die (my brain works that way, lol!).

(Brian) #154

Do any of you know whether Dr. Fung has talked about this enough to state the “why” of him not being a fan of dry fasting? I’ve heard him say that but have never heard him flesh it out. Thought maybe someone else here might have.

He is one of the major gurus of the fasting world, and with real, clinical experience, so I don’t blow off his thoughts without a serious reason.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #155

The problem I see with the idea of dry fasting is kidney stones. Kidney stones develop when you don’t get enough water and they don’t manifest themselves right away. So you can have one start during a dry fast and not feel the end result until several years later.

(Dan Dan) #156

I have 1 indulgence day a week which usually ends with a 1 pound slice of chocolate fudge mountain cake from my favorite restaurant .

I used water only fasts to get back into ketosis which takes up to 3 days then I came across an old epilepsy study that used water deprivation and dry fasting to induce ketosis in less than 24 hrs. So I tried it starting at midnight and by 6 pm the next day I was in ketosis I have dry fasted since.

This Saturday I went to the Opera in the morning had Chinese for lunch A Burger and Fries for dinner and took home 1 pound slice of chocolate fudge mountain cake for a midnight snack (my friend forced me) I dry fasted and by 8 pm Sunday was back in ketosis. I have eaten 1 pound of breaded chicken (It was on sale) as part of my DryFast OMAD everyday this week and have stayed in ketosis .

I’m beginning to think I’m a freak :thinking: