Stir
Drink through a straw - A MUST

Gargle/rinse w warm water after
Sometimes twice
Wait about 30-40 before brushing

Then sleep like a baby​:grin::joy:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #23

Thanks!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #24

As to ACV, I’m skeptical. Eat keto, be fine.

According to Ben Bikman, .5 for nutritional ketosis is actually an arbitrary line. He talked with Phinney or Volek about it, and it’s a pretty arbitrary line. So, maybe .3 is okay. Maybe .1 is okay. It’s wonky and fairly novel tech.

As they used to say when pee strips were all we had, it’s not about a deep color or a mild color. Any color is adequate.

(CharleyD) #25

I for one am happy to keep a bottle of that magic elixir at my desk and home. I know it makes my tummy happy.

I’m also happy that @atomicspacebunny does yeoman’s work collecting data like she does. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

(Sami Kearns) #26

Dumb question here…what I get from Dr Schmidt’s video is that ACV raises blood ketone levels. Doesn’t this equate to exogenous ketones? As opposed to forcing the body to make it’s own ketone bodies???

What am I missing here?

(Wendy) #27

No because it’s your body making them just like fasting or keeping your carbs low enough.
Is it true though? I have read that acv seems to lower insulin, perhaps that is how it “makes” ketones?

(Bunny) #28

Technical answer: If you put two 2x acetic acid molecules together you get DIACETIC ACID or ACETOCETIC ACID or 1 of 3 ketone bodies!

In other words it helps (IGF-1-hepatic) with the formation and production of endogenous ketones from your own body fat or dietary fats, not by any stretch of the imagination is that an introduction of ‘exogenous ketones’ into the body!

RESEARCH:

1. Acetic acid inhibits insulin secretion
    Acetate receptor inhibitors could improve diabetes therapy.
    https://www.mpg.de/8952248/acetic-acid-insulin-secretion
  2. Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/281
  3. The role of acetic acid on glucose uptake and blood flow rates in the skeletal muscle in humans with impaired glucose tolerance. Randomized controlled trial, Mitrou P, et al. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25626409
  4. Vinegar supplementation lowers glucose and insulin responses and increases satiety after a bread meal in healthy subjects. https://www.nature.com/articles/1602197

Some other interesting information on ACV i.e. fermented foods:

Apple cider vinegar/coconut vinegar
(Sami Kearns) #29

@atomicspacebunny and @Happyheart
Thanks so much for the replies and explanations. They’re very helpful. :slight_smile:

I have been drinking my water with ACV with the mother for over 10 years. I am overweight but that is primarily due to me being a chocoholic. :grinning: I should be diabetic with what I eat. I just had bloodwok done and the doctor was amazed at how good my cholesterol was. I also don’t get heartburn. So I would have to say the ACV is a good deal. Plus it makes the awful tap water taste better.

(Marcia T) #31

Actually the book is on Amazon and it’s by D. C. Jarvis:
Folk Medicine: A New England Almanac of Natural Health Care From a Noted Vermont Country Doctor
Check it out! Maybe it’s even (still) found in public libraries.

(Bunny) #32

…Thank you for that!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #34

Ok, I’ll say it. This is anecdotal at best.

Anecdotes have value. but it is not, as he said, a study.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #35

Circling back, there is nothing special about the mother, as acetic acid is present even in sourdough starter, much less plain white vinegar. ACV is a relatively mild vinegar, but so is champagne vinegar. I would guess the relative availability of ACV and the health branding of stuff like Dr. Bragg has made people study it more than champagne vinegar.

And, since two acetic acids form diacetic acid, and voila ketone body, really, any vinegar should do as a ketone juicing thing.

But if your goal is more ketones, rather than just eating right and letting your body do it for you, I have no words for you.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #37

It’s way hard on teeth.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #38

I think that’s why someone said drink with a straw.

It also makes drinking it right before bed really bad as it will sit on your teeth all night

(Bunny) #39

If ACV is doing something to your teeth then you would probably be drinking way too much of it?

If your placing 1 or 2 table spoons into a glass water, your barely going to be able to taste it.

Some people have the idea they should drink it straight out of the bottle and it may effect your teeth if your drinking it like that constantly, but you would have to be drinking this stuff by the gallons or swishing with the stuff like mouth wash for it to effect your teeth!

Hard to believe somebody could drink enough of it for it to effect your teeth?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #41

Better to wait a half hour before brushing your teeth since the acid temporarily softens the enamel. Soda is acidic enough that you shouldn’t brush your teeth straight after drinking that either.

But for ACV or lemon, diluting well enough and/or using a straw are good strategies to protect your teeth, and drinking straight water afterwards is not a bad idea.

(Windmill Tilter) #43

I’m not sure if ACV really will damage enamel, but to be on the safe side, I store a little container of baking soda next to my ACV. I drink my ACV, put a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the empty glass, add a bit of water, then swish it around in my mouth for a minute like a mouthwash.

It’s probably totally unnecessary, but I feel better knowing any residual acidity has been neutralized just a few seconds after taking the ACV.