Apple cider vinegar/coconut vinegar

(KetoQ) #4

Hi Stacy –

Many people, including myself, use apple cider vinegar as a way to improve insulin sensitivity. Therefore, it’s good to take after a meal. I add it to vegetables as part of a salad dressing, it’s more palatable that way. It tastes horrible if you drink it down with water.

Q

(David Brown) #5

do you personally rate it?

(Stacy Blanchard) #6

Your profile says you’re 4 weeks in and have lost a significant amount of weight. Just eat real food and make it delicious-steak over vinegar.

(KetoQ) #7

Dave –

Coconut vinegar is acetic acid, just like apple cider vinegar. So benefits are probiotics/gut health and insulin sensitivity, among others.

Q

(KetoQ) #8

I would recommend ACV. I have used it while I have been losing weight – along with doing lots of other things – so I can’t pinpoint it as a primary reason for my success.

But I do notice after I drink it that I don’t feel hungry. And that might be chalked up to the fact that it tastes like shite and ruins my appetite when I drink it.

(David Brown) #9

I’ve noticed that it does get rid of your appetite.

many thanks for your help

(Allie) #10

It’s easily available in all of the local supermarkets here, pretty mainstream these days.

(David Brown) #11

i mustwalk around with my eyes shut. I’ll probably notice it all the time now

(Allie) #12

You won’t be able to get away from the stuff now :joy:

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

Any vinegar with the Mother, that stuff hanging out on the bottom of the jar, will do. All vinegars are good.

Balsamic doesn’t come with Mother, it tastes great but has a higher carb count so I only use it for special dishes that need that sweetish vinegar tang. It isn’t bad, just not as many probiotics and higher carb count than most vinegars.

ACV is one of those old “miracle” aids that is just in the past few years being rediscovered. It has a lot of benefits to the digestive system. The acidic taste is all that holds it back.

I first learned about it as a relief for gall bladder problems. A few teaspoons in a glass of water sipped over about 20 minutes will relieve gall bladder pain. Not cure it but will relieve it.

Also helps lowers BG levels a few points.

It also comes in handy on fasting days.

(bulkbiker) #15

not so unknown as you think?
Also Waitrose sell it

Edit to add… Mark next time read the whole post…!

Maybe I’m weird but I find ACV tastes kind of yummy mixed with cold water (sparkling is even better I suppose) and salt.

(Omar) #17

this is true with SIBO people.

the hunger is partially caused by bacteria in the stomach/small intestine. ACV kills this bacteria or limit its growth.

Of course you know your self better than any one but SIBO can be caused by the fact that the stomach is not acidic enough. and ACV is one remedy to correct stomach acidity.

(Bunny) #18

That is interesting, didn’t know there was such a thing as coconut vinegar, looks nutrient rich too, going to get some! Not only is it rich in potassium it will help your body hold onto it longer (and the other minerals in it) rather than being flushed out under normal circumstances because of the added acetic acid element!

That is just super crazy neat, thank you for posting this!

Rich in Minerals

The sap used to make coconut vinegar comes from coconut trees grown in volcanic soil rich with minerals. The sap contains phosphorus, potassium, iron, magnesium, sulfur, boron, zinc, manganese and copper. It is especially rich in potassium, containing an impressive 192 milligrams per tablespoon. The Institute of Medicine lists known functions of each mineral in your body. Potassium is important in balancing electrolytes, controlling high blood pressure and metabolizing sugar, while phosphorus works with calcium to build bones and facilitates your body’s ability to use other nutrients. Iron is critical for the creation of red blood cells and is essential in the production of cellular energy. In addition to being another component in red blood cell formation, copper is a mineral that will also assist your body with iron absorption. Magnesium is important in nerve and muscle function and is essential in every major biological process in your body. …More

(Allie) #19

I tried ACV just to see if I got any benefits. All I got was a reappearance of the heartburn I had lost through going keto.

(Omar) #20

interesting

I am not expert but I could conclude that your stomach acidity is adequate to prevent SIBO

(Allie) #21

That’s what I took it to mean too. It pleased me as I’ve worked hard to rebuild my microbiome after many years of antibiotics.

(Bunny) #22

Same thing happened to me but I kept on with it (2 Tbls. to a glass of water) consistently and it went away, then I also added fresh raw digestive bitters (ginger & horse radish) with a cheese grader to it!

Oh! the horror stories you will hear when peeps drink too much of it ! Lol

Quotes:

Digestive bitters support digestive function by stimulating bitter receptors on the tongue, stomach, gallbladder and pancreas. Their primary effect is to promote digestive juices such as stomach acid, bile and enzymes to breakdown food and assist in the absorption of nutrients.

The bitter pungency of horseradish can stimulate digestive liver function and provides a powerful stimulus to underactive stomach linings, enzymes, and other mucus-lined organs!

Research has shown that vinegar can mildly lower the growth of gram-negative bacteria like Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus. These bacterial colonies are higher in bacterial endotoxins called lipopolysaccharides (LPS). Higher LPS levels are implicated with a whole slew of inflammatory health problems as well as leaky gut syndrome.

ACV has also been shown to have anti-yeast, anti-fungal, and antiviral benefits which are all helpful at supporting the microbiome and immune balance. Another benefit to ACV is its natural antihistamine effects.

It can help to lower the symptoms of allergies and chronic immune problems such as sneezing and wheezing.

When purchasing ACV I always suggest looking for one with its “mother” included. The “mother” is a colony of beneficial bacteria which is similar to a kombucha’s SCOBY. …More

Apple cider vinegar can help with a variety of health problems including: diabetes, high cholesterol, blood pressure and heart health, cancer, weight loss. To better understand these claims, we reached out to Carol Johnston, PhD, RD, Professor and Director of the Nutrition Program at Arizona State University. Dr. Johnston tells us that there is actually a lot of research, as in “researchers around the globe have conducted human trials with similar results,” to support vinegar’s “antiglycemic” effect. The antiglycemic effect refers to foods that are thought to decrease blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels. In these research studies, this effect has been seen in “healthy adults, pre-diabetics, and those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.” Those who have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes need to be cautious when consuming vinegar as it has a history of contributing to hypoglycemic (abnormally low blood glucose level) events in those individuals.

See also: Dr. Darren Schmidt: Science of Apple Cider Vinegar ACV

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #23

LCHF removes your appetite, regardless of your vinegar intake.