Don't Like Sardines? You Do Now

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

I discovered this little gem back when I thought pescatarianism was going to fix everything. Don’t judge. It’s a type of Scandinavian Smorrebrod, or open-faced sandwich. Just leave the sammich part out and serve on baby spinach or other deep green leaves with some thin slices of sweet yellow or red onion. It doesn’t taste like sardines by the time you’re finished with it, I promise.

Smoked Sardine Pate

1 can smoked sardines in oil, drained (or unsmoked with a few drops liquid smoke)
1/2 C. finely chopped celery
1/4 C. mayo, or to taste
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. Worcestershire
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Mash the sardines with a fork until they’re shredded, then mix everything together. Add the mayo last so you can tweak it the way you like it. Eat it right away, it doesn’t like the fridge for more than a day. Serves two, or one very hungry ketoer lookin’ for a huge protein wallop.

Let’s talk pate!
Sardines ideas? Any suggestions?
(Shawn) #2

Question: I’ve been trying to eat 3 cans of sardines per week mainly for the omega 3s, I keep reading about. I’m actually starting to like them, smoked in olive oil,a splash of apple cider vinegar and a little siracha. Only problem is, about 10 minutes after I eat I start burping, every few minutes for about an hour. The only other food that does that to me is raw cucumber. Thoughts… I’m going to try your recipe, looks good.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

I get the Fishy Burps from taking Omega 3 supplements and don’t even ask what tuna does to me. Fish are exotic going down and coming up, I think, at least for some.

(Adam L) #4

I’m trying this for sure, thanks.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

It’s fantastic in summertime on cool, crunchy leafy greens. I hear it works with salmon and mackerel, too.

(Roger) #6

In the past I’ve enjoyed sardines packed in olive oil with just hot sauce. I didn’t enjoy the fishy burps though. Now I have a caesar salad 2 to 3 times a week with sardines mixed in. With the salad greens, cheese, bacon, and dressing, I’ve avoided the fishy burps.

I’d probably drop the Worcesrshire sauce down to one tablespoon. It does have some sugar in it, although it looks like some brands have more than others.

(Arlene) #8

My grandson loves sardines right out of the can. I can’t stomach them. There are just some things I am perfectly happy leaving for others to eat, like worms, insects, fish eggs, liver, raw meat, and certainly sardines. It’s a good thing there are plenty of choices for all of us.

(Jane Reed) #9

Re sardines…ATK suggests substituting them in recipes calling for fish sauce, when you don’t have fish sauce and don’t want to buy a GIGANTIC bottle that you’ll never use up in your lifetime. Sardines, they say, provide a similar umami punch.

(Arlene) #10

I just keep a tube of anchovy paste in my fridge. That’s the main ingredient in fish sauce. It lasts a very long time in the fridge.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Thanks for this recipe, got my hubby to eat sardines. I love all foods from the sea, him, not so much. I think I will be adding some crushed up seaweed to this next time, maybe replace some of the celery with seaweed. Now I am making my self hungry for some sardines :slight_smile:

Got any recipes for a sardine drink made in a high-speed blender? I’m in a rush some times.

(mags) #13

:scream:

(KetoQ) #14

Rodney, you should get yourself one of these:

(Casey Crisler) #15

Gotta try that. I have to force myself to eat them out of the can. I slather them in mustard to disguise the taste. Still have a hard time eating them though . :face_vomiting:

That’s what I’m talking about. Thanks for that. Tomorrows breakfast,… with a half cup of MCT oil.