Sardines ideas? Any suggestions?

Although I live on the ocean, I never could wrap my brain around eating sardines. The texture, smell, and look just, well, made me gag. Throw in the bones and scales, and I could never.

So, I’m starting with boneless and skinless Wild Planet sardines in olive oil after reading/podcasting so much about how good they are for you. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make them more palatable and enjoyable I don’t want them to be something to choke down. Any ingredient ideas besides mixing them with mayo, hot sauce, lemon juice or spices would be most appreciated

Argh! Just found this thread. Lots of great ideas in here!

Frying. Mash with avocado, bacon grease, yum… I’m hoping to quickly be able to handle them out of the can by themselves since they travel and keep so well.

(Tim W) #3

I put mine in a bowl (same brand/format as you) then I add a couple of boiled eggs, some pork rinds, drizzle everything in olive oil and maybe sprinkle with curry powder.

Then, I don’t eat bites of “just sardines” I have a fork with a bit of sardine, a little bit of egg, maybe a chunk of pork rind, makes em much more palatable. I have eaten them “straight” out of the can and will do that in a pinch, adding a little extra salt seems to help in that case, I expect to get used to them over time and eat them more often.

Good luck finding your favorite method.

Thanks, @infromsea. This is helpful in a couple ways. One, some good ideas for mixes (since I like all your ingredients). Two, to show I’m not the only one who views these as somewhat of a challenge right out of the can. It’s weird since I lived my whole life near the ocean and have eaten some gnarly ocean stuff. It’s these little buggers I’m struggling with mentally. Oh well, probably starting a 5 day fast this week, so I have plenty of time to recipe these up. :grin:

(Tim W) #5

If nothing else the curry powder alone might make em easier to go down.

Enjoy the fast!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

Yeah, make my sardine pate. It’s a lot less sardiney than pate-ey. Or something.

(Sophie) #7

We just gravitated towards the ones in tomato sauce…ketchup seems to mask everything…just ask your kids.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

Not this kid. I ate those sardines packed in mustard sauce right out of the can like Spaghettios.

(Sophie) #9

LOL! My daddy used to take me fishing as a kid…there’s nothing you can tell me about sardines! :grin:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

I once saw someone catch over a thousand sardines at once. But he was a really big guy.

Oh yes, this’ll be in the rotation. It has the ingredients I was thinking would be good. And I think the celery will nicely add some crunch and get rid of some of the well, smushed fish texture. Thanks for this! :slight_smile:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

Yup, the celery is definitely key. It has such a low carb count and overall nutritional value, yet so much flavor and mouthfeel, I think of it as a crunchy spice. It’s fantastic in chili and soups, too. Now you got me hungry.

I stopped buying sardines in olive oil and opt for spring water then add my own oil. Wild Planet are great but still don’t know the quality of their oil.

Foodwise, I usually just make a poke type dish.

Sardines, Greens, Avocado, Oil, Nuts, Olives in a bowl.

Then choose a flavor… Tarragon, Curry Powder, miso mayo, dill pickle juice, some keto dressing.
WARNING: not keto but most of the time I flavor with balsamic vinegar :star_struck:

(Mary) #14

I use sardines as a base ingredient like tuna. I then add a tart like lemon juice or acv even both. Next I add crunch by adding minced onion, green onion or cilantro with the stems minced. Sometimes I just add chopped veggies chopped small. Last I may add olive oil or home made mayo. If I want adventurous flavor add a good curry powder. I use it to top baby greens or spinach. I scoop it up on cheese whisps.

@PrimalBrian I didn’t like sardine bones but I liked the idea of eating the bones (for the minerals), so I get the ones with spines and I mash them up. I promise you can’t even tell that they’re there! Then lots of chopped celery, some lettuce and sometimes an herb - basil, cilantro or parsley will help if you’re trying to get used to the flavor - some lemon juice, and lots of olive oil and salt.

(Jeremy Storie) #16

I like king oscar brand covered in hot sauce :grin:

I love sardines just out of the grill, I think their texture is way better than the canned ones, and since you live close to the sea… Anyways, another delicious way to eat them is to smear them with a good amount of tapenade mmhhmm yummy!!

Thanks for all of these great ideas, everyone. And optimistic confidence! As I mentioned, this is 100% purely mental for me. Nothing some celery, spices, cilantro, mayo can’t fix! :grin:

(Todd Allen) #19

I eat sardines right from the can with added salt. They take salt well and I can salt them heavily when I need to get my salt intake up.

(Mike Glasbrener) #20

Or on a green salad!:grinning: