Does everyone take a large swig of oil in the morning, or smaller swigs during the day?

(Michael) #42

Well that’s enough sarcasm for me in the Newbies section of the forum. Not funny.
Clarity is all that’s required.
I’ll be cancelling my Patroen sub immediately.

Bitter? Or peppery aftertaste?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

I thought the point was clear: fat is not a magic keto food, it is merely the “safest” source of calories, since it has a minimal effect on insulin secretion. I include this in about fifty percent of the posts I put in the Newbies section, along with the standard advice to eat to satiety, no more, no less. My apologies for trying to liven things up. To each his own, I guess.

(Jane) #45

I question why the OP is posting in the Newbies forum when he’s been here for 15 months.

(John) #46

Moved it to the Food / Fat section, since it seems to fit there. You can move threads too, if you are a “regular” member.

I don’t swig it…have had a teaspoon before with coffee and no taste really, texture is just a silky smooth liquid so really unless you have an aversion no big deal IMO. However, going to drop MCT oil as a little research today points at the MCT for the return of my insomnia, despite only having it in the morning…

I take a teaspoon of cod liver oil before breakfast. I don’t eat oil on it’s own besides that, but I use it for cooking and very rarely fat bombs. Sometimes bulletproof drinks if I want them.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #49

Uhhhh…no.

I feel like I’m getting plenty of fats in all different forms, cheese, heavy cream, butter, bacon grease, marbled red meat, etc.
Losing weight fast, and feeling great, while not being overly concerned with perfect numbers, of anything, especially calories :slightly_smiling_face:

(barrytspencer) #50

I’ve been to a couple of olive plantations and tasted various olive oils there (small shot glass), not bitter at all?
Maybe just the type of oil you’re trying?

(Susan) #51

I was only eating fat directly when doing a 48 hour fat fast with coconut oil and mct oil one weekend that did not end well. @BlueViolet was part of this experiment as well, and it didn’t end well for her either, we both felt very ill from this.

(Doug) #52

For good taste, some bitterness is required, in my opinon - this will be a matter of individual taste. I’ve got some extra-refined “light” olive oil that has a really high smoke point, for frying, and much of the taste has been refined right out of it. I can drink a little of it, but it’s just not good like regular olive oil.

Never have been to an olive oil plantation, but have had some really good olive oils from wineries that sell them as an adjunct product. Best I’ve ever tasted from any source was from a winery in the Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, California.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #53

My opinion is that any amount, “bitter” = “bad” :slightly_smiling_face:

To me, saying a little bitter is good, is the same thing as saying, a little rancid is good :grinning: lol

Speaking of which, I’ve read that some people have a genetic makeup, that is waaay more sensitive to bitterness, and I have to believe I am one of those people. And as such, I have never been able to drink any kind of tea, as it always tastes bitter to me… Even the milder types that other people day, “Oh, this tea isn’t bitter at all… Just put some sugar in it” :grinning: lol uh… No, and no :slightly_smiling_face:

(Doug) #54

Chris, it certainly sounds like you’re really sensitive to bitterness. I hear you on tea - it most definitely can get bitter fast. Olive oil’s flavor is a mixture of three primary things - bitterness, pungency (peppery heat) and fruit/vegetal aspects.

OliveOilTastingGlass

They even make special glasses for tasting olive oil - the warmth of the hand helps the oil get to 28 ° C or 82 ° F - perfect for perceiving everything that’s there. :sunglasses:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #55

Why would anyone need to drink oil? Sometimes I have a taste of butter or sip a bit of olive oil while I’m cooking, and I know the Greeks and Italians have a shot of the stuff sometimes, but for those of us trying to lose fat, why would you intentionally try to increase the amount of dietary fat you’re consuming?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #56

Not all of us are trying to lose weight. One could just want a little ‘pick-me-up’. Also, coconut oil is a mild cold preventative and ‘swishing’ through your teeth is reputed to help prevent plaque and tarter build up.:yum:

(Wendy) #57

I love the taste of coconut oil and try to remember to take a spoonful a couple times a day. I take it for the health benefits. Older brains often benefit from the medium chain fats it provides.
I am not currently trying to lose weight but even when I was, I added some to my diet. For me it didn’t seem to stall me.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #58

Hey Gabe, because that’s what Keto is all about ! Increased fats, medium proteins, and as close to zero carbs as possible. Done correctly, eating fat, doesn’t make you gain fat. That said, if your just getting into Keto, you shouldn’t be trying to see how much fat (or protein, for that matter) you can shove down. But rather, trying really hard to relearn “what actual hunger is”, and not eating because its fun, or its comforting. I do know exactly what your saying though… I’m actually having to use just a tiny bit of self control (which is good, because that’s about all I have :slight_smile: lol) with my GF’s fat bombs, that she makes and eats all kinds of almost daily. I just keeping telling her, and myself, let me just lose 10 or 12 more lbs and then I’ll be able to eat a few more of those fat bombs here and there :slight_smile: Honestly, I don’t think a few of those fat bombs right now, would make me gain weight, but I do believe they would slow me down, or even stall me for these last few lbs I’m trying to lose…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #59

Anyone else remember the old days when mom forced you to down a tablespoon of cod liver oil before going to school in the morning? That was bad enough, but if you got sick in spite of it she’d force another one on you just before bed. :dizzy_face:

Well, thank you mom! I just bought a tin of this at a local deli. A bit pricey at 5.95 each, but I might find it or the equivalent at one of my ethnic groceries at a lower price. It’s basically a can oil cod liver oil with pieces of cod liver floating in it. Like this.

If I get really serious about it, I just might spring for this. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #60

I hear what you’re saying, but I’ve been at this for 3 years, and the biggest mistake I make is eating too many fat calories. In fact, imho it’s the mistake of a great majority of LCHF eaters: Stop telling newbies to eat more fat!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #61

Okay, I hear you. I’m certainly eating way more fat than I did before Keto, but as I say, I am now trying to limit that a little until I lose these last 10 or 12 lbs. I know even a Keto person can eat too much fat !