Do yourself a favor, make oven bacon!

(Casey Kalogiannis) #61

Yes. But oven is even better. Even less mess.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #62

Iā€™ve always made bacon* in the oven but strangely, I canā€™t abide the smell lingering in my home. Fresh bacon = Hell, yeah. Old bacon = Now weā€™re entering old man with a wet stogie territory. Oh, yes, the windows WILL open, I donā€™t care WHAT the thermometer says outside. Just put on a sweater and shut up, youā€™re getting free bacon.

*Iā€™ve seen the woven bacon thing taken to epic levels by baking it on taco shell forms. Thereā€™s something magical about the thought of a BLT with the bacon on the outside.

(Patty W) #63

Wow! Just did my 1st batch of oven-cooked bacon & so happy with how it all turned out. No standing over the stove, getting grease all over everything & occasionally burning it. Much more consistent; big batches at once, less mess. This is how I will prepare my ā€œpurse baconā€ from now on.

Thanks for helping me see the light :wink:

(David) #64

Was your tray swimming in bacon nectar too?

I did 54 rashers of bacon rolled up the other day. It was LUSCIOUS.

Iā€™m snacking on bacon each time I open the fridge now.

(Jim Priestley) #65

I do 375 using the convection setting in my gas oven! Goes a little quicker, more like 30-35 minutes, although I usually drain and flip about 3/4 of the way through.

ShopRite(NJ Grocer) had thick slice Hatfield and Smithfield bacon both on sale today for $3.99/lb - I have a big freezer, so I emptied the shelf and bought 12 pounds for the strategic reserve!!! (After checking the label to confirm it didnā€™t have added sugar like the store brand!)

Been eating 1/2 to 1 pound of bacon most days for breakfast with 2 eggs., skip lunch, keto dinner.

Body by bacon - down 23 pounds, 4 inches in my waist, A1C below 6 for first time in 20 years! WooHoo!

(Jim Priestley) #66

Why fry in butter when you have bacon fat!!!

(Brian Moody) #67

If you like it partially crispy/partially chewy, try twisting the bacon (works better with a thicker cut). The top of the bacon will drain and crisp up nicely in the oven. The bottom portion will remain in the grease and maintain a softer texture.

(Dustin Cade) #68

Fanny pack bacon?

(Guardian of the bacon) #69

That works.

(Llewellyn Falco) #70

Iā€™d suggest

parchment paper instead of foil.

cheaper, easier, better

(David) #71

I did this with my last lot. The first lot I did was cheddar wrapped in bacon and then stood on end.

(Tammy Schinhofen) #72

i make my bacon in the oven on 350 one side for 25 minutes then flip the bacon and cook for 15-25 min more depending on your doneness level. i put the bacon on parchment paper on cookie sheets. cook it slower so i dont set off the smoke alarm. so much easier and cleaner since my oven has a self clezning mode.

(Jennifer) #73

Just a note - the parchment paper soaks up that lovely grease that should be saved and reveredā€¦ :slight_smile:

This is the only way I cook bacon. I have a pantry chef jelly roll pan that is black from use. Lolā€¦

(Tammy Schinhofen) #74

I get plenty of bacon grease even using parchment paper. I crease one of the corners and dump it into a glass bowl to later put into another container and save for use later.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #75

Made 2 batches of oven bacon tonight, though not intentionally. Batch 1 was supposed to be cooked part-way, so we could make bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos, but it got left in too long and crisped up to the point where it couldnā€™t be wrapped.

Thankfully, we had another pack of bacon in the fridge, which came to the rescue for the jalapenos, which were SO good. :slight_smile:

(Beth) #76

I use parchment paper and thereā€™s plenty of nectar left ā€“ parchment paper isnā€™t really very absorbent. Those bacon weaves in the picture way back at the top of this thread look like they could make a decent pizza crust. Wonder what that would be like!

We have also cooked bacon in our smoker ā€“ note, we didnā€™t ā€œmakeā€ bacon ā€“ we cooked already made bacon in the smoker. It was very good ā€“ very evenly cooked. Not as crispy as our kids like it, but crispy enough and my husband always worries about the burned parts giving us cancer. No burned parts this method.

(Robert Bailey) #77

Oven bacon is absolutely the best. I particularly like eating hog howl (cheek of the pig) baked in the oven. Itā€™s much more fattier and flavorful in my opinion. Plus the texture is kinda chewy, which I really like.

I love oven baked bacon but the same thing happens to me, grease all over the oven big time. Maybe my temperature was too high. Gonna try this again at 350 degrees. BACON!!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #79

I like my bacon fresh, not reheated. I like my bacon in 6 minutes, not half hour or more. I use a bacon press in a skillet, the fat goes right in the eggs. No oven heating, no oven grease, no hot kitchen, no precarious grease filled sheet pan to pull from the oven hot. I made oven bacon In restaurants a lot. It makes sense there, at my houseā€¦not worth it. :cowboy_hat_face::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

Hmmmm. How much of a mess does it leave on the stove top? Iā€™ve never used one of those before and Iā€™ve got a lot of cast iron! What brand do you have?