Do you eat west coast butter or east coast butter?

(Allie) #21

@Shinita that sounds amazing to me :heart:

and why the wars of life won’t ever go away :frowning:

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

I only use kerrygold butter so it is Irish. Not from either coast.

I’m lusting over that gadget that makes butter ribbons. I think I need one of those in my life.

(Cheryl Meyers) #24

In Japan, they used to sell butter only in teeny 200 gr packs, as butter was not used as often, I guess. These days I can find 800 gram bricks in the dairy case – or even 1 kg of New Zealand butter on Amazon.co.jp! yum.

Butter shortage crisis times in 2016:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

There was a butter crisis in Sweden a few years back, when keto became a government-sanctioned diet. Andreas Eenfeldt said that a Mercedes dealer in Stockholm ran a promotional deal whereby if you bought a particular high-end model, you’d get a kilo of butter for free. I always thought that was hilarious.

200g is a big brick. I think 250g is the biggest I ever saw (but maybe not, I will check next time how big the biggest fancy ones are. I guess 250g but I am not sure).

I have this now:

I am unsure if there are still smaller ones but they are mostly for restaurants I guess (you know, mini honey, mini jam, mini butter. they have mini Vegemite in Australia too, I saw photos)… Maybe for very very occasional consumers or for someone who just want to grab it with a bun for a tiny meal…? I remember such tiny packages from my distant past but what is the situation now? No idea.

100g is the most common package, many shops don’t have any bigger ones. It’s cute :slight_smile: Only lasts for a few weeks for us two but that’s just perfect.
I go back to zero consumption now that my few vegetarian days are over. Lard is tasty too and way cheaper but I should use as low as possible added fat too, sadly. I love butter though so I eat it sometimes :slight_smile: I don’t need much.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #27

Yes! (Note: cream cheese illustrated)

What. Is cream cheese that solid, at least sometimes?
I only know mascarpone and we have Philadelphia and that’s it as cream cheese goes. I only tried mascarpone.

(Who knows, maybe savages freeze it just to chomp on it! Like newbie ketoer me and banana though I did that to cool it down enough to make the chocolate I poured on it solid right away. But it’s nice and creamy anyway.)

I am no cream cheese expert, okay? :smiley: Just a curious one.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

This is what I’m eating in the photo (Walmart’s house brand). Yes, it’s solid at room temp. And like butter, it must be stored in the fridge, so it likely would get veryyyy soft otherwise.

We don’t have these things. But we have quark everywhere so I am content enough…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

You don’t have cream cheese in Hungary! Despite the carbs (this 250 gram block contains 8.25 grams of total carbs), I consider cream cheese one of the best dairy ‘inventions’ of the modern era. In fact, I can’t imagine life without cream cheese!

PS: Philly cream cheese contains 2x the carbs of Walmart’s GV. That is, a 250 gram block contains 17 grams of carbs. Thus, it’s a looser in my estimation. I can eat a 250 gram block of GV cream cheese every day and still consume sub-10 grams of total carbs.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #32

If you’re talking Kraft’s Original Philadelphia Cream Cheese, it’s less than 8 grams of carbs per 8 ounces, according to the label.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #33

Warning: Plenty of cream cheese was harmed in the making of this film.

PS: That pic really should be on your driver’s license.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #34

Thanks, I’m going to recheck the label. I hope I’m wrong because Walmart runs out of GV before Philly and I’m left ‘cream cheeseless’ more often than I’d like! :+1:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #35

Have ya’ll tried my dangerous cream cheese recipe?

***DO NOT attempt if you are prone to any kind of cephalic response because this one will put you in rehab faster than an OA member at an Alabama barbecue.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #36

I’ve noticed this, too. My generic Winco brand has been MIA from the shelves for weeks and I’ve been forced to buy Kraft against the express wishes of my church, Our Lady of Perpetual Frugality.

Apparently, we are all low on schmear as a result of a cyberattack. The horror!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

In the U.S., they sell butter in packs of 1 lb. weight, which is 454.54 g. As mentioned above, the pound is usually broken up into four 4-ounce (113.6 g) sticks, but sometimes you can find it in a solid block.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Yes, if you keep it in the refrigerator (we Americans are conditioned—like Pavlov’s dogs—to refrigerate everything).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #39

Oh come on! Generally speaking, refrigeration is not a bad thing. Well, OK, if you don’t have one…

As I wrote, we have Phyladelphia and mascarpone. That’s all what I can think if I hear about cream cheese. It’s possible there is something else but I don’t know about it and I actually searched for it in super- and hypermarkets. I even found cottage cheese and tried it twice (first I dislike it, the second time I loved it but dairy is like this, brand matters. it’s a very nice creamy/crumbly quark).

I like dairy but it’s best for me to keep it at a minimum and use them when a dish calls for them (or as a tiny dessert). I am in love with sour cream (I am choosy though, not just any brand works but there are many nice and sour enough) and it even has a long shelf life so it’s very convenient to use that (and all tiny village shops have it so it’s easy to replace it anyway. we must buy our normal, half-hard cheese in the city or a bigger town once a month, just like almost all food we eat. except the eggs, thankfully. it wouldn’t be fun to go into the city and buy 300+ eggs especially among all the other food and some other items we will use in the next month. It’s good I eat dense and mostly simple things).

It doesn’t surprise me since I heard about milk coming in gallons there :smiley: We have 1 liter milk boxes (I remember some bigger but not gallon sized and they are rare anyway. 1 liter is extremely common).
And 180-500ml cream boxes, the bags (less UHT flavor so I go for them) are always 250ml and 200ml boxes are the most common, by far. And it’s a tiny problem as I must be very creative to use up it before it spoils. I need the sweet tooth of my SO and freezable recipes for it. Even when I put it into 10 coffees a day, it was a bit too much for me.
800-850g sour cream (it’s the biggest here) rarely poses any problem but we don’t buy that in my “let’s try no dairy” phases. It’s the 330g or 450g ones then, never the tiny cup (180g? I can’t follow these always shrinking packages. maybe 145g. whatever, we never buy that).

Quark is 250g or 450-500g. That’s okay. Proper cheeses are occasionally big though and not just 100-200g. 1kg and even bigger is possible and not extremely rare. But not common. And the stupid little town shop doesn’t have ANY cheese. Just those sliced or not but not full and proper cheese things I wouldn’t touch. (Maybe they have some crappy Trappista in the meat and processed stuff counter, Hungary was always big on making bad cheap ones, I hated them as a kid already and Mom only bought that despite not being poor. she spent a lot of money on food but buying proper cheese? maybe there wasn’t a proper variety back then? I don’t remember.)
What grocery stores don’t have proper block cheese?! This one, apparently. Not like you could buy fresh pork there despite it having a meat counter but there are 2 butchers nearby so that’s okay. But no cheese unless I go to a bigger town…?

Well it’s normal for cheese… Eggs, on the other hand… Well those don’t fit into my fridge (I need a fridge WAY taller than me. I need the biggest one that comes with a single door, actually) and they are fine in their cupboard anyway. Thankfully. I really couldn’t put them elsewhere.