Do you eat west coast butter or east coast butter?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

Yeah, but ketchup and barbecue sauce? Maple syrup? Coffee? Nuts?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

Eggs, if washed (as they generally are in the U.S. and Canada) must be refrigerated. But unwashed eggs should not be refrigerated.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #43

I keep cheese(s), eggs and sliced roast beef in my little fridge. Additionally, I keep my GV frozen meat patties in the main freezer (which is not my little personal fridge). During winter, the balcony also helps with refrigeration. My coffee concentrate, for example, is currently on the balcony; but when the weather starts to warm, Iā€™ll have to find room in my little fridge for it.

(Jane) #44

I have never stored my butter in the fridge, except the extra until my butter dish is empty. My butter dish sits on the counter.

(Robin) #45

Same

I must keep my butter in the fridge as it would spoil otherwise. It spoils very easily so I only use, like, 30-50g butter in the butter dish (unless I know we will eat it up as itā€™s our buttered bread eating phase).

I never refrigerate eggs, no matter what as I canā€™t and it worked this far, sometimes I wonder about that but itā€™s not like I can change that or I am not a huge antihipochonder, I am totally that (I basically only am afraid - not, actually but I would be if they would get near to me - of rabies and bubonic plague and the like, I donā€™t imagine my immune system could fight that. oh and fresh raw meat, nope, I cook the hell out of my meat too. raw eggs, on the other hand are fine and dandy to me, itā€™s not like I could avoid that without a huge loss of joy anyway. raw eggs canā€™t be replaced with anything).

(Laurie) #47

Iā€™ve lived with, or near, many different pests and wild animals. So I keep almost everything in the fridge unless itā€™s in a can.

Before I started refrigerating everything, I tried leaving butter in the cupboard at room temperature. After a few days it developed a sour ā€œcheesyā€ taste. So no more of that.

I canā€™t eat cream cheese because of the carob bean gum or other gums. The only readily available (fake) ā€œmascarponeā€ is full of similar additives. But when I can find real mascarpone, oh itā€™s heavenly.

my Kerrygold price went thru the roof here. I go thru tons of butter, I have to buy cheapy store brand. But it is enjoyable for sure on Kerry when I bought it but not enough to pay the price for me at this point, I gotta put the money I save on butter to buy my darn beef that has inflated in price now LOL

(KCKO, KCFO) #49

It went up here too, but I have found I can use a mix of avocado oil and a small bit of butter for most dishes. Some you have to have just butter. If I still ate toast, I probably couldnā€™t afford it, but keto WOE took care of that issue.

I get mine at Costco so not as expensive as at the grocery store. I will happily cut back on other things to continue getting Kerrygold. Worth every penny, IMHO.

I feel ya, pinch a penny on what is more important in our lives, I do it all the time in the grocery too!

Kerrygold is wonderful (once it was on a good sale so we bought a lot) but I love many of the cheapest butters too. I basically only buy the cheapest one, on sale. There are butter sales all the time and there are no bad butters here - except the watered down thing I donā€™t consider butter. I donā€™t want better butter than some of the cheapest ones, they are very enjoyable, I am lucky. Maybe itā€™s not the case everywhere.
Butter is still quite expensive so if lard works, I use lard. The very good pig farm lard I buy is about 3 times cheaper than the cheapest butter and I like it, I just want butter sometimes.
Sometimes I mix butter and coconut oil in baked goods but I only use a little anyway. Recipes using 400-500g butter arenā€™t for me (there are a LOT like that. okay, carby ones but still. (for me) insane butter amounts everywhere).
I started to make butter/sour cream/spice spreads as we have those things in the stores and I always liked them but prefer making things from scratch, they come in too big boxes anywayā€¦ One day I will figure out the right recipe.

(Jane) #52

Same here - it is $3.48 at Walmart for 8 oz, so basically $7/lb. I almost didnā€™t buy it the other day but then decided I would cut back on something else - I like it very much also.

(bulkbiker) #53

This is the label from the UK

So 250g has 10.75 g of carbs. The original version