Do you eat west coast butter or east coast butter?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Is there a difference? You butter believe it.

Wow. I don’t know why I need this info but I learned something today.

We don’t even have butter sticks here. Ours are bricks or how should I call them. And my (pretty, autumn leaves patterned) butter dish is big as all butter dish here so I possibly could put a 250g brick into it too but we use way less so I only put a part from even the tiny 100g ones into it.

I have a problem because I use a “Butter Butler”. The one size of butter just slides right in. I have to trim the other and put the trimmed off pieces in. I just love dispensing my butter in ribbons. It makes the butter easier to melt on foods.

(Robin) #4

Oh my gosh! I am going to try to control myself. What kind of life choices have I made that I do not have a Butter Butler in my life?

I’m sure I would use more butter, just to make the ribbons.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The same was true in London, when I lived there with my ex. The milk man would deliver the butter in solid pounds, and we had a dish to put it in that was made to hold a pound of butter. We never refrigerated our butter, because (a) British weather and (b) we used it fast enough.

The Butter Butler works well for dispensing cream cheese as well. But you need to use it up a lot faster than the butter, as it spoils within a short period of time.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

You have inspired a lot of lust and envy today, OgreZed. I also want one that makes the little butter roses

I don’t have that kinda time with cream cheese. Spoon and mouth, five seconds and done.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Doesn’t using the spoon slow you down? :grin:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

Good point. I often use a butter knife and just slice off cream cheese pages on which to write smoked salmon. Tastes like poetry.

(bulkbiker) #10

Wow when was that
 milk men are almost completely gone these days
 no electric trucks any more

(Allie) #11

We still have them here, but I don’t know how they keep going as so few houses use them now. Mind you, they’ve expanded to deliver more products now which I guess helps.

Interesting to read size diff. is new technology machines vs. old machines in use
huh
cool, one of those ‘who woulda thought’ type things about a product :slight_smile:

one thing I guess is the West Coast butter might get smaller thru inflation, no wait, they won’t replace those machines, too expensive, so cost of that butter as in its size will rise I am sure :frowning: ugh

well what ain’t isn’t getting smaller and more expensive or staying the same size and getting more expensive
nothing now LOL

We have trucks, a local dairy farm sells everything but cream. I can’t get cream without that bad UHT flavor anywhere :sob: (Oh well, it was easier to drop cream, it just added calories even with my tiny pace
 Tastes okay in coffee though, all the coffee overpowers the UHT flavor but not the cream flavor.)
But I can buy nice raw milk. I don’t often drink milk, cream is loads better except the UHT thing. Sigh.

Butter Butler sounds unnecessary to me (I am fine with using a knife) but fun
 Never heard about such a thing before.

And my current butter is 125g, I forgot about that size. Cute lil brick, obviously. It lasts for a few weeks if we don’t eat much buttered bread. My SO totally does, he has a Vegemite phase again
 He needs regular deliveries from Australia to keep up with his appetite for it :smiley: We can’t buy that stuff here, only Marmite (we like that better, actually). Not like I found it at the usual place in the last 1-2 years

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Hate to admit it, but it would have been about cough forty cough years ago. :sob:

yea, what is now ain’t what I grew up with and my mom is hitting on 94, the changes she has been thru are mind blowing

(Robin) #16

Hahaha
 me too. And spoon is optional.

(Robin) #17

We had the same milk man for most of my childhood. Meadow Gold was the company brand. Milk and butter. Milk in glass pints in a little metal basket. (sigh)

when I was little we had the ‘mosquito spray poison truck’ come thru our neighborhood on a weekly basis to ‘handle those suckers’ and US kids ran thru the damn fog of it all and our parents didn’t even think twice, I mean, ‘they’ said it was harmless only to kill skeeters

and WHO THE HELL came up with that in our NJ state? I don['t have a clue but from even my time, this world is warped but thru my mom’s time it is even mega warped now

milk man, jobs lost
think now
internet and everything online or thru delivery app and more.

retail store and employees, who needs them? no one really
SO much is changing and service people thru milk, ice delivery is so gonzo
more are going gonzo right now :frowning: jobs are disappearing at warp speed. scary for who needs a job

We didn’t have milkmen (I am 45 years old and Hungarian)
 But we had raw milk to buy in our own milk jug or what is that called with its lid and handle
 Only in the village, the town has shops with milk in plastic bags. And people made doormats from the bags cut into ribbons
! Even my Mom. It wasn’t pretty but it did the job. And the milk spoiled in days
 Now supermarkets only sell milk with a super long shelf life but the taste is worse. I found a pretty good one some weeks ago, I was elated. It reminded me of raw milk.

Of course, the best milk I ever had was the warm, freshly milked cow milk from the neighbourhood
 I got goat milk from another neighbour but that wasn’t warm at that point.
But any raw milk I ever drank was pretty good.

(Robin) #20

This is another reason I enjoy your posts. Hungarian memories and point of view. Our lives are so similar and yet