Day 12 and I woke up really lethargic and tired

(Keto Koala 🐨) #1

Hi guys. Ive only been on keto for 12 days, I had terrible insomnia and was only getting 4 to 5 hours sleep a night but last night I finally got 9 hours sleep. But today I’m more tired than I was yesterday. No headache or illness just lethargic and feeling really lazy, can’t stop yawning ect. Is this normal. I’m eating about 4 to 7 grams of carbs a day and trying to get enough protein and fats in. Just feel in a tired fog today.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

It’s just carb withdrawal. It will pass. You’ve successfully purged yourself of glucose and glycogen by staying very low carb each day. Gluconeogenesis is synthesizing just the minimal amount of glucose you need for those cells and organs that can’t use fatty acids and ketones for fuel. Unfortunately, all your other cells and organs don’t yet know how to utilize fatty acids and ketones very efficiently. They’re wasting a lot and waiting for glucose to arrive. Sooner or later, as long as you stay in ketosis consistently they will figure out fatty acids and ketones are great fuel, better than glucose in many ways, and start using it more efficiently. Ultimately, most cells and organs will learn to utilize fatty acids and synthesis of ketones will decline. You could think of ketones as the gateway drug to fatty acids. More or less.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #3

Yes that’s what I figured. It says on Google that it can take time to enter full ketosis and that each person is different. Considering that I was eating a tonne of carbs and sugar less than two weeks ago, that makes sense. Thankyou for clearing that up. It’s a total effort to even move today, good thing it’s Sunday :joy:. I feel like I’ve had a sedative when I havnt. It will pass. Xx

(Keto Koala 🐨) #4

I feel like a walking science experiment today. It’s just hit me like a tonne of bricks. On Friday I saw bright coulours, then yesterday I had terrible headaches but they went away, today I woke up lethargic and now I feel like I’m made of stone, my legs are aching and I feel like I’m in an dream. Now the bright coulours have come back and my hearts pounding.I don’t feel sick though. The body really is a strange amazing thing. I think at the start i may have accidently eaten a bit of suger (hidden in salami) I ditched that and for the last 4 days have been VERY strict. Only eggs, real proper non artificial cheese and grass fed minced beef and the tiniest amount of greens. So perhaps that’s why it’s taken this long to cop carb withdrawl. Who knows.

(Susan) #5

Just make sure that you are getting enough electrolytes, Aimee.

You can make your own. Personally I eat Pink Himalyan salt because I don’t like salty water, so I eat it and swallow it down with water and I take 3 magnesium citrate tablets a day.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #6

Hi Susan :blush:. I do eat pink Himalayan salt but I only grind a little bit on my meals. Perhaps I should eat some too. :nauseated_face:. I hate the taste of salt on its own but it’s worth it if it stops me feeling heavy and tired. I feel a little better than earlier but yeah, it’s just been one of those days. I feel SO lazy today. :joy:.

(Susan) #7

I bought some of if ground initially then I bought some that is pre-ground and I swallow some of them (as they are tiny) with a glass of water. I don’t like the taste of a lot of salt on foods or in water, so that works best for me.

@David_Stilley has a fun picture he made of him saying Eat more salt (1:30am here so I am too tired/lazy to find it but yes, salt is important I find personally at least). I also tend to get leg cramps if I am lacking in it.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #8

Yup I have leg cramps. Oops :no_mouth:

(Susan) #9

It just sounded to me like you need to increase your electrolytes and often taking in more of the salt helps. It cannot hurt to try at least =). I hope that that will fix the problem for you =).

My daughters that are 21 and 25 went to Australia (in the Brisbane area) this past summer (May 28-June 28, 2019) and went to a Koala Bear Sanctuary and petted some and some Kangaroos, and saw some cool other animals too. That has nothing to do with Keto, I know, but your picture you have as your display picture just made me think of that and so I am just telling you, hehe =).

(Keto Koala 🐨) #10

Awwww Koalas are such cute fur babies. Pity so many are dying in these bushfires :disappointed:. Yes, this photo was taken in Cairns and he fell to sleep and started snoring in my arms :heart_eyes:. I LOVE animals SO much. I lived in Brisbane for 6 months but in summer and it was too hot, but cairns is even worse. The humidity there is terrible.

(Susan) #11

The fires there atm are terrible, I know, I see it on the news =(. My girls loved Australia and really want to visit again the future.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #12

Hahaha lol, yes it’s very popular but I love cold weather. If I could choose I would live in Norway :joy:.

(Susan) #13

I live in Canada, and our weather is very similar to that of Norway and Sweden actually =).

(Keto Koala 🐨) #14

I know, when I was little I watched a movie called “Fly away home” Its about a little girl who raised Canadian geese. It was filmed where you live. Your lucky, the weather looks wonderful.

(Susan) #15

We have the 4 different seasons, so that is fun. Now that I am older that I am not that enamoured with winter but that is more because I am always afraid of falling on the ice and snow, and it is really cold at times!

I live in Ontario, some parts of Canada do not get nearly as much snow as us, like British Columbia by example.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #16

My Mother was born in Cornwall England. She said it was always cold there. Australia is strange, where I am it’s unbearably hot in summer but quite cold in winter (no snow though :pensive:). I grew up in the mountains on a farm and it got very cold up there. I used to get up early and walk outside in the frost with bare feet and play with all the animals. I had pet goats, pigs, dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, horses, cows, a goldfish… I’m I think that’s them all :joy:. Got to bottle raise a baby pig when I was 7. For my 8th birthday In 1996 I was given a newborn baby goat :heart_eyes:. But the fires, burnt the place down

(Susan) #17

Aww that is so sad =(. Did the animals all die?

We have a pet Guinea Pig and a pet Bunny at our house =).

(Keto Koala 🐨) #18

My father owns it now and I don’t speak with him so I’m not sure. All the animals from my childhood have certainly died :joy:. My dear pony Felix died in 2016 and I had got him in 1999 and he was already 8 years old then. He lived a great full life, dear little man. Awwww guinea pigs and Bunnies are the best. I love the little Wheek Wheek noises the piggies make when they are excited or want food :heart_eyes:

along with carb withdrawal you are detoxing your body.

you got a double whammy happening. You got your body flipping from glucouse burner to ketone burning.

Then ya got detox. Toxins flooding and leaving your body.

good old ‘adaption’ is hitting you. Just treat your symptoms. Feel tired and need a nap? Go take one :slight_smile: Shouldn’t be too long, it usually isn’t for many of us, but some get hit longer and harder, just work thru it best you can and when you do…the ‘other side of adaption’ is just a wonderful place to be :slight_smile:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #20

Haha thanks :blush::heart:. The tiredness slowly went away. I’m actually facing a triple wammy because, I was on very heavy strong opiate painkillers for two damn years ( I broke my back in a terrible car accident in 2011 when I was 22, I wasn’t driving) So I was totally dependant on the meds. I decided to stop them one month and two days ago and I’m STILL withdrawing. I couldn’t sleep for almost a month. Last night was the first full night sleep I’d had. The withdrawles are getting better very slowly. Trust me to decide go give up everything at once :joy:. Yes its been a long slow hard month. The meds were so strong that I didn’t menstrate for a year and a half. Back onto keto discussion, I find that I get really full really quickly now. I ate less today than I did yesterday, yet was somehow fuller. As especially after dinner. No wonder my bodies in a bit of shock, giving up carbs, sugar and oxecontin all at once. It’s the best thing I could have done though. Xxxx