Crustless Pizza (aka Sausage Crusted Pizza) - ode to Lou Malnati's

pizza

(Steve) #1

Ok, here’s my take on Lou Malnati’s “Crustless” pizza - once again, thanks to @miketo for posting that in the “What did you keto today?” thread. I’ll definitely be checking them out the next time I’m in Chicago!! :slight_smile:

A link to Lou’s: https://www.loumalnatis.com/blog/2010/08/crustless-not-your-average-deep-dish/

And, yes, for the carnivores in the crowd, this would definitely qualify as a meat lovers pizza. :slight_smile: If you count the crust, that’s 5 different varieties of meat in this pie! :smiley:

My cast iron skillet is 11 1/2" across at the rim. You can reduce the number of carbs by halving the sauce (or eliminating it altogether if you like) as well, everyone likes different toppings on their pizza, so your macros will definitely vary! :slight_smile:

Ingredients:

“Crust”:
1kg hot italian sausage meat - 2400 Calories, 190g Fat, 160g Protein, 6300mg Sodium, 2530mg Potassium
2 large eggs - 148 calories, 10g Fat, 1g Net Carbs, 13g Protein, 140mg Sodium, 134mg Potassium
4 T of Oat Fibre (12.4g) - 20mg Sodium

Toppings:
1/2 cup pizza sauce - 74 calories, 0.6g Fat, 10g Carbs, 2g Protein, 605mg Sodium, 402mg Potassium
29 slices of pepperoni (99g) - 243 calories, 19g Fat, 5.4g Carbs, 19g Protein, 1053mg Sodium, 313mg Potassium
31 g of onion (coarsely chopped) - 12 calories, 2.2g Carbs, 0.3g Protein, 1mg Sodium, 45mg Potassium
75g of shredded monterey jack - 235 calories, 12.9g Fat, 15g Protein, 493mg Sodium
46g of bacon par-cooked - 216 Calories, 15g Fat, 15g Protein, 687mg Sodium, 226mg Potassium
65 g red bell pepper - 20 calories, 0.2g Fat, 2.7g Carbs, 0.7g Protein, 3mg Sodium, 137mg Potassium
122g shredded Old Cheddar - 488 calories, 45g Fat, 28g Protein, 854mg Sodium
83g of mushroom / garlic mix- 75 calories, 3.5g Fat, 5.8g Carbs, 2.5g Protein, 391mg Sodium, 174mg Potassium
50g diced ham - 50 calories, 1.7g Fat, 0.8g Carbs, 8.3g Protein, 450mg Sodium, 144mg Potassium
116g ground beef - 327 calories, 23g Fat, 28g Protein, 100mg Sodium, 449mg Potassium
50g sliced green olives - 67 calories, 6.7g Fat, 0.3g Protein, 933mg Sodium
52g pickled hot peppers - 7 calories, 1.7g carbs, 0.3g Protein, 797mg Sodium
200g shredded Mozzarella - 667 calories, 53g Fat, 46.7g Protein, 1600mg Sodium

Total: 5,233 Calories, 403.6g Fat, 29.6g Carbs, 339.3g Protein, 14,431mg Sodium, 4,668mg Potassium
Per slice (if 6): 872 calories, 67.3g Fat, 4.9g Carbs, 56.6g Protein, 2,405mg Sodium, 781mg Potassium

Directions:

Prep your toppings first - put them all in bowls covered in shrink wrap and put them into the fridge to keep cool until you need them.

If you haven’t sautéed the mushrooms and garlic in the 2T of butter yet, you can do that while the crust is baking.

Preheat your oven to 350F

(Note: you want to work fairly quickly so the sausage doesn’t get too warm - want to keep it as cold as possible, so it’s easy to hold its shape)

• Using a serrated knife, slice each sausage lengthwise, just to open the casing, so you can remove it from the sausage meat
  • Deposit each sausage into the bowl
  • For each 500g/1 pound of sausage meat, add one large egg and 2T of oat fibre to the mix
  • Mix well with your hands - it should be very sticky when it’s ready
  • Form into a crust in your cast iron skillet - you want to go up to the edge (but not over it)

You can either chill the crust and pan at this point or not (I did - but I’m not sure it made a difference).

Place your pan in the 350F oven and bake it for 25 minutes (if you are making a smaller, thinner crust, do this for 15, then ballpark the remainder based on how done it is).

Now place a plate on top of your crust that either fills or close to fills the top of the pan. Use oven mitts using that to hold the crust in place and the handle of your pan to drain as much grease as you can from the bottom of the pan (under the crust).

Now use a couple batches of paper towels to sop up the “scum” from on top of the pizza crust - be gentle - it’s very tender at this point - you don’t want to gouge chunks out of it.

Oh…and don’t worry that it’s shrunk down a bit - my theory is that the toppings will melt and push out the sides a little bit…maybe. :wink:

Now you’re ready for your toppings. The order I’ve listed mine is in the order that they went in. (I was going to blend the cheeses together in advance, but didn’t…kinda glad I didn’t now - it turned out pretty amazing!!) :slight_smile:

If your amount of toppings is similar to mine, you’re going to want to put it back in the oven and let it bake 25 minutes.

(Optional: put it on broil for an additional 3-5 minutes to scorch the top of the cheese a bit)

Then take it out and let it cool for a good 10 minutes before you try to cut it up. (Me, I ended up taking about 20 minutes, as I was trying to calculate the nutritional macros at that point). It’s a good thing I did. The pie had firmed up enough that I was able to get my big spatula and transfer the pie to my cutting board.

The sauce is the Exquisite Pizza Sauce recipe: Exquisite Pizza Sauce
** I use President’s Choice Free From Hot Italian Sausage (zero net carbs)
*** The block cheese I use is Kraft Cracker Barrel (also zero net carbs)
**** I say par-cooked for the bacon (though many people likely cook their bacon this way) - you need to ensure that it’s not super crispy - you don’t want hard ingredients in a pie, hurting peoples’ mouths.
(bacon I use is President’s Choice Naturally Smoked bacon (also zero net carbs)
**** One can of mushrooms (156g) was sautéed with 2T (30g) of minced garlic in 2T Butter - once cooked down they weighed 152g - 83g of that made its way onto the pizza - so the macros reflect that.

Edit: For anyone that wants it, did an export of the recipe in Paprika format. Also exports of the Keto category as well as all of my recipes if anyone would like them.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aiQMn6XWsbF4U51wsuX7tNuscxcZmrbx

Heh - it seems fitting that this amazing dish turned the number up to 365 recipes in my Paprika database :slight_smile: (one for every day) - only 110 in the Keto section - but I’m working on that!!! :smiley:

What's your absolute favourite Keto recipe?
Cauliflower pizza crust vs regualr pizza crust
Just the top of the pizza
What did you Keto today?
(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

OMG, I want to lick my phone right now!:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

(Mandy) #3

Ummm… Yes please!!!

Thanks for this, it looks just like the original! I can’t wait to make it!

(Dom DePlume) #5

Holy crap, dude! That looks on the edge of pizza P0RN!

(Dee) #6

WOW!! Love at first sight…:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::yum:

(Tom Seest) #7

It’s so purty!!!

(Todd Gamel) #8

Looks awesome! I have a similar recipe on my keto food blog…I love this recipe more than any of the other that I make, but occcasionaly I just place a small amount of sauce in five small circles on the cookie sheet and top them with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni and bake for 10 mins. Got the idea from just eating the toppings off a delivery pizza.

(Sophie) #9

Got mine in the oven as I type… :heart_eyes:

(Sophie) #10

Ok, I did out my own spin on this but basically followed @fischersd’s directions and it was a huge hit here!
I used 1lb mild Italian sausage and 1lb plain sausage to which I added some Italian seasoning. I did follow the technique for making the “crust” right down to the oat fiber and using the plate to drain the oils. I think this was really important and I’m glad I did it. The oat fiber seems to add some stability to the meat base. My pizza toppings consisted of…pepperoni (No, I didn’t count them), red bell pepper, black olives, fresh mushrooms, red onion, mozz cheese and anchovies! (Yes, I adore those salty little bastards ). I also used Rao’s sauce since I had it on hand and didn’t feel like messing with the pizza sauce tonight. I baked according to directions and broiled for about 3mins to finish off. All I can say at this point is that it was fuckin fabulous! Screw all the fill in the blank-head crusts, this stuff is going on my regular rotation! :smile: Thanks @fischersd for working on the recipe and @miketo for gettin the ball rolling.

What did you Keto today?
(Steve) #11

That looks AWESOME Sophie!! So glad you’re enjoying it!! :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

Kevin Mountain
@NativeKetoMan
Bookmark this.
I think you should make this your project.

(Tim) #13

I made this last night for my (mostly) non-keto family and got huge raves all around. Thanks for posting!

(Raj Seth) #15

Ive been drooling about this since I first saw the recipe - but had to wait :sob::sob::sob: till I could make it at home (darn work!!)

I’m making it today. I will substitute psyllium husk for oat fibre (its what I have)
Hopefully I will post pictures.

(Terri) #16

Thanks for sharing so much detail! It looks absolutely delicious!

(Ashley) #17

Anybody in US know where to get oat fiber?

I see it on both the Walmart and Amazon websites…

(Jen) #19

So I think it’s safe to say the psyllium husk worked? Looks awesome!

(Ashley) #20

Thanks I’ll look at Walmart tomorrow!

It’s on the Walmart website, but I don’t think it’s available in their stores…