Crustless Pizza (aka Sausage Crusted Pizza) - ode to Lou Malnati's

pizza

(Sharon) #22

https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/ketogenicforums/uploads/default/optimized/3X/0/1/0128bd8468b866dd09ded5ce1e36ba903f8e69f7_1_374x500.jpeg

Looks really good!

(Ashley) #23

Dangit, Amazon it is then

BTW, it’s easy to make a quick sausage crust pizza at home:

Microwaved sausage patty meatza

• Thaw out one or more frozen sausage patties in the microwave
  • Add some spices – smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, …
  • Add Rao’s marinara sauce and topping – diced onions, mushrooms, …
  • Cover with shredded Italian blend cheese or Mozzarella cheese
  • Microwave for a minute or so, depending on how many you made

(Raj Seth) #25

It came out delish!! And boy was it filling. It was a 12” skillet, and the four of us could only have 1/2 the pie. 1/8 each. That includes two 18-19 yr old boys.
Only thing I would change is add more tomato sauce
As for psyllium husk - I don’t even know if it matters. I will do the next one without any fiber added

(Sophie) #26

I order Oat Fiber from Netrition. I love their flat rate shipping on heavy stuff.

(Sophie) #27

Try it and see. The egg makes a great binder in itself.

And here was my second go…

(Brian) #28

I would love to see some other variations on deep dish pizza that are keto friendly. I tend to like the “veggie lovers” varieties better when eating the real thing, spinach, broccoli, onions, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, garlic, that kinda stuff. I’ve tried a few times but it’s never quite what I think is really excellent.

Some of the deep dish options at places like Oregano’s aren’t awful anyway, especially considering that a medium is enough for 3 meals for 2 people. But it would be nice to be able to make several options at home, a bit more low carb.

Regular pizza isn’t really even tempting to me. I’d drive a long way for a good deep dish…

:slight_smile:

(Steve) #29

Hey guys - you may not actually need the oat fibre or egg - @Shallimar 's son has made this a couple of times and he’s just using the sausage meat and it’s holding together without it.

So, if you don’t have oat fibre in your pantry, you can hold off and try the recipe without. I did this for two reasons:
1). Egg always makes a good binder for other ground meat (burgers, meat loaf)
2). Oat Fibre is REALLY thirsty - soaks up a LOT of moisture - so I wanted it to keep as much of that good-for-you sausage nectar in the crust for flavour and moisture (plus, good fat energy) :slight_smile:

But, you can likely leave them out and the crust should still work. :). May just not be quite as durable to sliding around.

(Raj Seth) #30

As @fischersd said, Psyllium husk probably held a lot of juice in. When I drained my crust - I got about 1-2 TBS of fat… needn’t have drained it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #31

What sauce do you use? I haven’t been able to find one that’s not really carby.

(Sophie) #32

I used Rao’s. I did notice that I now have it at my Walmart (cheaper than Publix), but who knows how long that’ll last.

(Ashley) #33

Never seen it at mine I’ll have to check

(Sophie) #34

I’m still tryin to get through that jar of Rao’s, so guess what’s for dinner tonight? Got no complaints here! :+1::smile:

(Sophie) #35

Walmart is in big time competition with Amazon currently, so if you don’t see it on your shelves, check online and see if you can order it. Most times, you can get free shipping, if not to your home, then pick up at the store.

(Todd Gamel) #36

I make mine with out oat fiber, or eggs and have never had any problems with the meat crust not binding at all. I simply just mash the Italian sausage in the bottom of my pan and add the toppings and bake. Easy peasey…

(Cecile Seth) #37

Only problem was the (non-keto) teenagers snarfed the left overs before I could!

(Raj Seth) #38

Annie - dont go breaking my heart!! Rao’s from Costco, of course!!