Consistently gaining weight after two years on keto

keto
newbies
extendedfast

(Running from stupidity) #10

You’ve got no shortage of whacko theories, have you?

I’ve been keto for 5 years and had to work extremely hard in order to gain a measly 1.5kg.

(Gabor Vattay) #12

Very good news indeed! What can be the difference between you and me?

(PSackmann) #13

You don’t say in the original post, have you been to your doctor to have a thorough check-up? Gaining 15 pounds in a two week period without a change in diet is a signal that something may be wrong.

(Omar) #14

is it possible that such weight gain is muscle mass? or at least partially

How about the health of your liver?

Are you able to notice where the additional pounds went? is it in the tummy or hips or neither ?

Might take a look at this. It was just posted this morning.

(Gabor Vattay) #16

I’m pretty sure it is not muscle mass. I have a very good (Whitings/NOKIA) scale and I can see how my fat % goes up. I started my keto at 210 lbs (BMI=31) I had 30-32% fat. Once I lost 44 lbs and reached BMI=25 then I was at 24-25% fat. Now I’m back at 187 lbs (BMI=28) and fat is again at 30+ %.
It is all belly fat. It took only two weeks to get from 25% fat back to 30% fat when I stopped intermittent fasting and did just normal keto.

My liver lab work is always excellent. My glucose, insulin, triglycerides … are all great!

That seems unlikely.

These scales are heavily influenced by hydration levels.

(Omar) #18

sorry for asking too many questions.

since it is clear that you are gaining belly fat.

How about your digestive track?

any indigestion bloating or IBS issues?

(Gabor Vattay) #19

I’m a physicist. We call it “working hypothesis” :slight_smile:

(Gabor Vattay) #20

You are right. The intraday fat % fluctuates like hell depending on hydration level. But, the running average curve is more or less correct.

(Gabor Vattay) #21

Absolutely no digestive track issues,no IBS nothing else.

(Omar) #22

I could be wrong but then the only possibility remaining is that you have low metabolism.

(Edith) #23

How about changes in medication?

(Edith) #24

I think 15 pounds in two weeks must be a fair bit of water weight. Could something you are doing be causing you to retain water?

Hi,

Can you please share how your <20g carb is composed. Are we talking about decent quality meat and veggies? Or do you avoid meat and take supplements to compensate. There’s 20g carbs and then there’s 20g carbs. What are we talking about exactly?

You may be thinking “it’s the same successful diet as before”, but the food industry may have changed the food right from under you.

Consider a very different 20g carb diet. Switch things around.

What fats / oils are you using?

“Leg cramps, kidney stones, brain outage” - these are not unheard of but suggest deficiencies. Are you sure you’re getting ample salt and water?

Are you triple sure you dont’ have hidden carbs? I would’ve sworn it’ll never happen to me, until it did. Twice.

Are you on any medication. I mean any? Are you male or female?

Failing all the fundamentals, I reckon you need to have a Thyroid Function Test at the lab. Vitamin D? Liver Function Test. Etcetera … I personally would not let a doctor push me into any medicine, but I do use them to get the pathology tests referral.

I find a ketone blood analyser helpful. Yes the numbers go up and down, it’s like chasing shadows, but zero or next to zero is a significant reading. I had brand A yogurt, no problem, then tried brand B - bam - no more keto for me. It knocked me out of ketosis. Without the meter I would not have known, I had no other obvious symptoms. Just a stall which is easy to wave away…

(Gabor Vattay) #26

I’m very glad that you ask questions. Please, keep on asking! I think I’m pretty informed, yet, I have no clue what’s wrong. I know one thing, my father had the same body type (big belly, no muscles) and died at 65 in heart attack.

(Running from stupidity) #27

Declaring Fung to be “obviously wrong” on the basis of n=1 is NOT a “working hypothesis”.

Ludicrous conspiracy theories about every person on keto gaining weight but never saying so is not a “working hypothesis.”

Thinking your scales give you an accurate indication of, well, anything except actual weight is not remotely accurate.

You may want to investigate what “working hypothesis” means, and have a think about the infallability of instruments that give you a number based on calculations and averages rather than actual measurements.

(Gabor Vattay) #28

Hi,

My labs are all great, including thyroid and vitamin B and D. If I eat just meat for a week, there is
a lesser degree of weight gain. If I eat meat + keto veggies for a week, I get a moderate weight gain.
If I eat cheese for a week, it is moderate weight gain again.
If I eat home made keto-bread (just a bit) + butter, strictly below 20g carbs, I start gaining weight like if I were eating normal bread with butter. Something like 1 lbs/day. If I do that, then I usually fast for 4 days just to recover.

I use keto sticks several times a day. I never-ever get out of ketosis.

I eat no processed food (I’m in Europe)…

(mole person) #29

Lol…I’ve got 22 months on keto and am effortlessly hanging out at 108 pounds +/-, which is about 17% body fat. Keto and IF are working just fine to keep me there.