Fasting Ramps Up Metabolism

fasting

(Mark Rhodes) #1

I have not read the full study yet but the review of it is interesting.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-36674-9

Consistently gaining weight after two years on keto
(Doug) #2

Right on, Mark. Increased metabolism - average gain is 13% after 4 days of fasting - Dr. Fung has mentioned this a few times; it stems from higher levels of norepinephrin.

In previous research, the G0 Cell Unit identified various metabolites whose quantities decline with age, including three known as leucine, isoleucine, and ophthalmic acid. In fasting individuals, these metabolites increase in level, suggesting a mechanism by which fasting could help increase longevity.

I think the ophthalmic acid indicates that things are going on in the liver. Leucine - one of the essential amino acids - didn’t know that we had less of it as we get older; don’t know how our diet affects this. As far as a metabolic product, I’ve wondered about it, since it’s the most potent inhibitor of autophagy, and here it’s being produced by autophagy. :smile: Maybe some sort of self-regulating deal.

Several antioxidants, such as ergothioneine and carnosine, were found to increase significantly over the 58-hour study period. Antioxidants serve to protect cells from free radicals produced during metabolism. Products of a metabolic pathway called the “pentose phosphate pathway” also stay the harmful effects of oxidation, and were similarly seen to increase during fasting, but only in plasma.

If fasting does rejuvenate us, this would certainly work toward it. Biologically/Evolutionarily - how often are we designed to eat?

(Mark Rhodes) #3

Hey Doug, Yeah combine that with how Bikman looks at leucine: https://twitter.com/BenBikmanPhD/status/1030258800698118146

I know the best muscle growth I ever experienced over 8 weeks time was combining 5 day fast with heavy lifting and breaking that fast with the lifting and 3 Grams of BCAA…turns out I could have just taken leucine. On the down side I found it too difficult to maintain that fasting schedule.

(Doug) #4

So much to learn… A lot of this stuff is counter-intuitive, at least for me, but fascinating.

(Christopher) #5

The best muscle growth you experienced was lifting heavy while in a fasted state for 5 days? Was that a continual 5 days @ zero calories, or did you break your fast each day after so many hours?

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #6

Great article. Thanks. I find it interesting that an age old remedy like fasting is finally be studied on this era and that they are finding out how good it is for your health.

(Mark Rhodes) #7

Continuous. I often go 100-140. I’ll lift at 40, 72, 96 whatever. BUT the blast lift I go super hard and then break with a HWC shake of BCAA goodness to take advantage of the resulting insulin surge…or so was my thinking. The ideas of Volek and Bikman in regards to leucine also play a role.

Christopher I found my original post in this regard: Fasting, Keto and Progress

Study done in…4 people…

(Mark Rhodes) #9

Yes and if you read it some respond more poorly to fasting than others. It reminds me of this study of n=1 in 1983

It is, in my opinion, these types of studies that can get us to a more well designed study.

(Doug) #10

Yes, to a large extent we have to take what we can get here, what with the relative absence of profit for big companies when it comes to people not eating or not taking drugs. :smile:

No question that there is wide individual variation - some people get cold when fasting, some don’t.

(Mark Rhodes) #11

Doug if you get cold try 5% solution iodine. Since I started supplementing I dont get cold.