Consistently gaining weight after two years on keto

keto
newbies
extendedfast

(Gabor Vattay) #21

Absolutely no digestive track issues,no IBS nothing else.

(Omar) #22

I could be wrong but then the only possibility remaining is that you have low metabolism.

(Edith) #23

How about changes in medication?

(Edith) #24

I think 15 pounds in two weeks must be a fair bit of water weight. Could something you are doing be causing you to retain water?

Hi,

Can you please share how your <20g carb is composed. Are we talking about decent quality meat and veggies? Or do you avoid meat and take supplements to compensate. There’s 20g carbs and then there’s 20g carbs. What are we talking about exactly?

You may be thinking “it’s the same successful diet as before”, but the food industry may have changed the food right from under you.

Consider a very different 20g carb diet. Switch things around.

What fats / oils are you using?

“Leg cramps, kidney stones, brain outage” - these are not unheard of but suggest deficiencies. Are you sure you’re getting ample salt and water?

Are you triple sure you dont’ have hidden carbs? I would’ve sworn it’ll never happen to me, until it did. Twice.

Are you on any medication. I mean any? Are you male or female?

Failing all the fundamentals, I reckon you need to have a Thyroid Function Test at the lab. Vitamin D? Liver Function Test. Etcetera … I personally would not let a doctor push me into any medicine, but I do use them to get the pathology tests referral.

I find a ketone blood analyser helpful. Yes the numbers go up and down, it’s like chasing shadows, but zero or next to zero is a significant reading. I had brand A yogurt, no problem, then tried brand B - bam - no more keto for me. It knocked me out of ketosis. Without the meter I would not have known, I had no other obvious symptoms. Just a stall which is easy to wave away…

(Gabor Vattay) #26

I’m very glad that you ask questions. Please, keep on asking! I think I’m pretty informed, yet, I have no clue what’s wrong. I know one thing, my father had the same body type (big belly, no muscles) and died at 65 in heart attack.

(Running from stupidity) #27

Declaring Fung to be “obviously wrong” on the basis of n=1 is NOT a “working hypothesis”.

Ludicrous conspiracy theories about every person on keto gaining weight but never saying so is not a “working hypothesis.”

Thinking your scales give you an accurate indication of, well, anything except actual weight is not remotely accurate.

You may want to investigate what “working hypothesis” means, and have a think about the infallability of instruments that give you a number based on calculations and averages rather than actual measurements.

(Gabor Vattay) #28

Hi,

My labs are all great, including thyroid and vitamin B and D. If I eat just meat for a week, there is
a lesser degree of weight gain. If I eat meat + keto veggies for a week, I get a moderate weight gain.
If I eat cheese for a week, it is moderate weight gain again.
If I eat home made keto-bread (just a bit) + butter, strictly below 20g carbs, I start gaining weight like if I were eating normal bread with butter. Something like 1 lbs/day. If I do that, then I usually fast for 4 days just to recover.

I use keto sticks several times a day. I never-ever get out of ketosis.

I eat no processed food (I’m in Europe)…

(mole person) #29

Lol…I’ve got 22 months on keto and am effortlessly hanging out at 108 pounds +/-, which is about 17% body fat. Keto and IF are working just fine to keep me there.

Biologically impossible. The most fat you can gain in a week is two pounds, and that’s if you’re trying to gain weight.

Sounds like you are being systematic, which is good. And good to hear lab work is good.

Meat - contains lots of nutrients, not just protein. Eggs are great too. Butter is good.

Stating the obvious here but that “keto-bread” doesn’t sound all that keto. That 4 days sounds familiar to me, that’s how long it took me to recover from getting kicked out of ketosis. I was fine with brand A yogurt, but then tried brand B - BAM - no more keto for me. Blood analyser result of 0.2 mM - I couldn’t believe it. Can’t trust anything we buy!

Definitely consider food alternatives but don’t change everything all at once.

(Don’t tell me your private medication, but if you’re taking any, and I mean just one tiny little pill then it could make all the difference).

Do you feel you’re fighting any infection? That can knock you out of keto.
High levels of stress and poor sleep don’t help.

I know it’s a pain and very frustrating to check then triple check all the fundamentals but hopefully it is something basic which can easily be fixed.

(Gabor Vattay) #32

No infections, no medication. Just minerals, and vitamin D, iron, B6 occasionally.

Do you have a blood analyser?

Yes the numbers go up and down and up and down, chasing “good numbers” is like chasing shadows but when I got knocked out of ketosis I did not have any symptoms. I stopped losing weight, but we can always wave that away, stall, short term, wait 4 weeks blah blah blah … but the meter showed a stone cold 0.3 and even 0.2 mM - I knew something was wrong. Then in that week I gained 1kg.

Looking over and over my food it was not obvious what caused it. Everything seemed the same to me, just some “minor” changes - but obviously not so minor.

(Cindy) #34

Gabor, can you post what you actually eat for a day? As in, how many keto veggies? How much cheese? What kind of keto-bread are you eating?

The rapid weight gain certainly sounds like nothing more than fluid retention that occurs when you’re eating too many carbs. You also haven’t mentioned if you’re male or female or an age. Both are factors that can affect weight fluctuations.

You’ve also mentioned using keto sticks several times/day. That makes me think that perhaps you don’t quite understand what happens with a ketogenic diet, because once you’re fat-adapted, your ketone levels in urine go down. Unless the sticks refer to blood ketones? In which case, it’s a bit excessive to be checking it several times per day.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #35

It’s not excessive it you are doing some n=1 experiments to see how foods effect you.

(Cindy) #36

True, but I don’t get the impression that that’s what’s happening here. And even then, you probably wouldn’t be doing a new n=1 experiment every single day. Unless you’re really trying to push the boundaries of what you eat (See, I really CAN eat X and stay in ketosis!), which is a whole other issue.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #37

Sometimes I’ll test 3-4x a day.
I am chasing numbers, but I have specific reasons for that. I’m trying to predictably bet my GKI at or under 1

(Heather Meyer) #38

Hmm i reckon that might not be true…
Whats his name… ah… Dr. Nowzarden says that his patients gain weight no problem eating 8-10,000 excess calories per week let alone 5,000 somtimes in one day. Judging by the fat increase he sees on morbidly obese people and how quickly they can put weight on… im going to say it is more likely that,

“Most not ALL can NOT gain more than 2 pounds in a week”. There is obviously a small % who can gain more than 2 pounds of fat per week.

However…whether its do-able by Keto…no idea??

I haven’t watched more than a few episodes of “My 600lb Life” but does he monitor their fat gains versus total weight? Every episode I’ve watched just had them stepping on a scale.

I still say it’s impossible to gain more than two pounds of fat in a week. Your gag reflex, even on a carby diet, would kick in before you could overeat to the point that your body stored more than two pounds of fat.

I think either the machine was incorrect or the OP is exaggerating. A much more obvious and likely reasoning for gaining weight short term is water retention. But I’m gonna need some real proof about that great amount of fat gain in just two weeks.

(Heather Meyer) #40

Haha… well i aint testing the theory…thats one
N=1 i am not testing personally.