Chili Verde

mexican
chili
instant-pot

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

This is my personal recipe adapted for Instant Pot but can be done in a heavy pot also. This is classic Mexican Cooking. :man_cook:t4:

Ingredients List

4 1/2 lbs / 2 kg. of Pork Butt with the fat cap removed, cut into 1.5-2” cubes

The Vegetables

1 lb. / 450g Tomatillos

1/2 a White or Yellow Onion (about 135g.) cut in 1/2” / 1 cm. thick slices

1 oz. / 30g. Garlic cloves with a layer of skin still attached

12 oz. / 300g. Poblano Chilies
(substitute Anaheim, or Hatch if you can’t get Poblanos)

4 JalapeĂąos

Grilling / Fire Roasting the Vegetables

First the chilies. I use a sauce pan with a lid to let the chilies steam in their own heat after charring.

Next the cast iron skillet for the rest

Garlic and Onions, the garlic gets done faster and you don’t want it to burn.

Last do your Tomatillos. You don’t need them turning to mush, just charred and cooked partway.

After charring it’s time for some knife work. The chilies should be rubbed with your thumb to get the burnt skin and ash off. Don’t rinse them. They don’t need to be perfect, a bit of the black stuff adds flavor. Halve and remove the stem and seed cap from the Poblano Chilies, cut the stem off the top of the Jalapeños. Peel the Garlic cloves. If you have a food processor purée the Tomatillos, if not squeeze them in your fist to crush them up.

Roughly chop the roasted garlic and onion, dice the Poblanos and slice the JalapeĂąos into rings leaving the seeds and core. Dump it all in your cooking pot.

Finally add some lard to the skillet after it’s cooled down some! Cuidado!! :fire::fire: Brown the Pork cubes in batches, don’t crowd them. I did it in 3 batches.

As they finish add to the pot.

Spices

1 Tablespoon of Salt

1 Tablespoon of Mexican Oregano

1 Tablespoon of whole Cumin Seeds

6-7 whole Cloves or a 1/4 teaspoon of ground Cloves

About 10 twists of Ground Black Pepper

One bunch of Cilantro, cut all the stems into 1/8” / 5mm lengths while bunched going right up to and including some leaf. Reserve the leaf for adding fresh on top of your bowl.

Pan roast the Cumin Seeds until toasted and fragrant. If you’re using whole Cloves do the same and pound them in a mortar. Add all the spices to the pot.

If you’re using an Instant Pot set it for stew for 40 minutes. If you’re cooking stove top you’ll need to add some stock or water to cover. It will need about 2 hours cooking time. During the last hour it’s crucial to keep a close eye and stir it regularly at shorter and shorter intervals because like Marinara it can easiyscorch and ruin the batch. If you accidentally scorch it immediately pour it in another pot leaving the scorched stuff out. Taste it and see if you ruined it. If not continue cooking on the lowest simmering heat to finish. You might need to add some liquid while it’s cooking if it’s reducing too quickly. You want it reducing and thickening the last 20-30 minutes. After I cooked in the Instant Pot I poured off the liquid into a sauce pan and reduced it to half. I had added 1 cup of chicken stock and since all the liquid and meat juices are retained in pressure cooking there was more liquid than I had planned. When it was about half the volume I added 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum that was mixed with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil for the time that it was cooking down. Usually you would coat the meat with flour like you do making western style stew. This creates some roux and Chili Verde usually thickens as it cooks down. Pour your KETO thickener into the boiling sauce and whisk it in. It will thicken up in a couple of minutes, mix it back in with the pot. It’s finished, taste and add more salt if you need it.

Serve it topped if you like with some chopped Cilantro, Sour Cream and if you can get it Cotija Cheese. :man_cook:t4:

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

This batch made nine cups. Two stuffed me!

I hope some of you enjoy this, beats the pants off American style Chili Con Carne.

:cowboy_hat_face:

Note If you can’t do the roasting like I did you can use a broiler and a sheet pan covered in foil. You’ll have to research that on your own. Fire roasting can also be done on a gas stove directly on the burner grates. You best have a good ventilation system and go ahead and get that pesky fire alarm disabled first! I have done this many times either late a night or during rainy weather. I roast Red and Yellow Bell Peppers this way too.

The Great Instant Pot Instant Inspiration Thread
You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes
What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

For link purposes. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Doug) #3

Right on, David! Truly mouth-watering. Viva los poblanos! Somewhat similarly, my wife roasts peppers in making green chile stew.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #4

Oh baby I’m going to make this!

('Jackie P') #5

Oh wow! That looks so good. I had never heard of a tomatillo and don’t know if I can get them in the UK. I will go on a mission to track them down!

(Steve) #6

Outstanding! Your sauce would be good in molcajete too

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

@CrackerJax

For those across the pond If you can’t find fresh tomatillos you may be able to get canned, it will still be good but lighter on the char flavors. If you have trouble getting chilies you can use canned green fire roasted chilies. Add any green mildly spicy local peppers that are available if you like. Tunisian Baklouti Chilies may be available and would be delicious. :man_cook:t4:

('Jackie P') #8

I’d like to give it a go! You know I am a chilli fiend. It just looks so fresh and flavourful😋

(PJ) #9

There it is – that looks great!

My base recipe is similar but process is different. And I have rubbed sage instead of cloves, and several other spices.

I love charred and skinned peppers like in fresh salsa. I bet it’s great in chili verde!

PJ

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

I still have a quart stashed away in the freezer. The roasted charred vegetables are what it’s all about. Mexican Oregano is actually sage. A particular variety that the use a lot. It has oregano qualities but it’s a totally different herb variety than Mediterranean oreganos. :cowboy_hat_face: