CHILI KETO STYLE by Kevin, NativeKetoMan

Oh yeah! Gonna try this one.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

Not for a small can. At my grocery their $2.80 for a small can so they are still pricey.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #23

Itā€™s up to the individual if plant estrogens are an issue.
As far as ā€œbeing keto or notā€, there is no keto rulebook :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for this. I will get them dried and can them myself, so much cheaper! I used to love canning beans of all varieties, and miss them!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

They are very low carb beans and therefore fit into the ketogenic diet easily :slight_smile:

(OM) #26

Sorry, I didnā€™t mean to preach. Itā€™s just that a lot of people do keto in order to repair metabolic damage, and unless you are a post menopausal woman the estrogens are harmful and they can mess up the way your body functions. And I think a lot of people donā€™t know that soy is estrogenic. Thatā€™s all.

(Dawn) #27

I love @Brenda advice on making keto work for you so it is sustainable. That is great advice. I make keto chili all of the time without beans and I use big chunks of celery and mushrooms to replace the beans. I honestly donā€™t even miss beans in my chili. I am going to have to make some tweaks to this WOE once I get to maintenance because I will need help sustaining it. Keto treats will be one addition, some pre-packaged spice mixes will be another, more veggies including sweet potatoes, and good old fashioned low glycemic index pinto beans are some of the things that I want to try to squeeze in to my keto lifestyle. Hopefully I can remain in ketosis during my experiment.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

Youā€™re not preaching, you care, and that is good, and that is why I mentioned the plant estrogens. Itā€™s up to the individuals here to research and decide.
BTW, I did keto to repair metabolic damage, believe me :slight_smile:
Read my story here:

For anyone in the U.S., you can order a case of 12 cans of these beans from Walmart for just under $2 a can. With free shipping. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eden-Black-Soy-Beans-15-oz-Pack-of-12/19475706

Update: Oops, forgot someone already posted this in the top of this thread! Also the free shipping is for orders over $35, otherwise itā€™s $5.99 ā€” at least in my area.

(Sophie) #30

Walmart wanted to charge us shipping and wouldnā€™t ship for pick up at the store! We came out cheaper buying direct from the MFG and they delivered via FedEx within 4 days. I get screwed by Amazon because I have a Fulfillment Center just down the road so I get to pay an extra 9.25% sales tax on the top, so I donā€™t buy from Amazon anymore unless I have to. Iā€™m in Chattanooga, so I guess Walmarts vary across the country. As an aside, I have my chili in the crock pot and Iā€™m makin Keto Cornbread to go with. I think itā€™s going to be righteous!

Yum!

Sorry you donā€™t get the same deal. Maybe I got the free shipping cause I ordered other stuff too. And glad you found them!

(Dan Dan) #32

Update:Edan confused me when they wrote and stated fiber was not included in the count. but as others have stated the fiber is counted. Go Chili Keto Style :yum:

I hate to be the barer of bad news :disappointed:

The total carbs is 8 per serving of Black Soy Beans :frowning:

I just found out that many nutrient data labels already subtract fiber :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=955886#post955886

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #33

Not true in this case, the Eden foods label is accurate.
Iā€™ve been doing keto 4 years and this is the first Iā€™ve heard this claim about these black soybeans. Many people use them. Your info is mistaken.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #34

Half a cup of canned black soybeans has 1 gram net carb plus 7 grams of fiber (8 grams of total carbohydrate)

(Dan Dan) #35

updated in my post above :slightly_smiling_face:

(Justin Jordan) #36

Thatā€™s a labeling artifact, probably.

Thereā€™s a standard calorie count for fiber for labels. Itā€™s actually the same as carbohydrates in the US, and different for Europe. Neither reflects the actual calorie count of the particular fiber, whose digestibility varies. If you look at the labels for, as for instance, lentils or rolled oats (I mention them because I looked up their labels on Amazon) the math is the same - calories only add up if you include the fiber.

(This would mean, in fact, that the calorie count is wrong, and itā€™s part of why using CICO is not especially useful much of the time)

This is easy enough to test. Eat them and see. If you donā€™t get the blood sugar rise or lowered ketones, then itā€™s not worth worrying about. Itā€™s the same process I use any time thereā€™s something in food thatā€™s not supposed to be digestible (aka, sugar alcohols, etc).

For instance, the label on my Now Foods psyllium husk says it has 30 calories for 8 grams of carbs. I know, for a fact, it does NOTHING to my blood sugar, both immediately, or over twenty four periods, in MUCH larger amounts than those grams.

Them calories might be present, but they ainā€™t getting processed.

(Dan Dan) #37

thank you for clearing that up :smiley:

when Edan said they did not include the fiber in the count It confused me :crazy_face:

Okay, made this last night. It was a big hit. The beans taste like ordinary beans.

The un-drained 80/20 ground beef made the end product a little ā€œoily.ā€ That didnā€™t necessarily bother me, I just added more cheese to soak it up.

The only disappointment was my homemade hot sauce, which ended up less hot than I had hoped. I was hoping for flames coming out of my ears, but all I got was garlic vinegar with a little zip. I think my dried chilis sat around on the shelf too long.

(Sophie) #39

We had it last night too. It was just as awesome as any type of regular chili that Iā€™ve ever made. I also got to use some pickled jalapenos that I grew in the garden this summer, a plus! I was really tickled with the beans. And the keto cornbread made it a truly southern comfort meal. Thanks to @Brenda for the rec. These are going to be a great addition to my keto cupboard. Tonight is rinse and repeat! :+1: Now, Iā€™m thinking of refried beans with the Mexican (cauliflower) rice that I found on this forum for the next fajita dinner. Yummy!

My sister grew some Carolina Reapers that are now ripe. Iā€™m going to see if sheā€™ll let me have one to make hot sauce with.