CHILI KETO STYLE by Kevin, NativeKetoMan

It’s simmering on the stove right now… mmmmm.

(Roberto) #42

2.41 per can at vitacost today-- i always get more than $50 so i get free shipping

(Jane Reed) #43

A month ago I bought a can at my nearest Whole Foods. $2.29.

And nothing like being hit upside the head: thanks, Just Peachy, for the idea of using the beans for refritos in Mexican-style recipes. Why didn’t I think of that? A generous amount of spice or hot sauce mixed in will mask the flavor of the beans, which is not very strong to begin with.

To reiterate, these beans are not something I eat but once or twice a year. I’m aware of the problematic nature of soy, and I can’t believe that occasional consumption will be harmful.

(Candy Lind) #44

In that case, the ones I bought at the Asian store just before Christmas had been sitting for quite a while! I thought I was buying the kind they put in Kung Pao dishes, but couldn’t verify because no one at the dang store speaks enough English to help a non-Chinese-speaker! LOL I’m going to put them through my food processor and use them as “crushed pepper flakes” - hoping that making the seeds more “available” will help with the heat. Otherwise, I’ll just use a lot at a time until the useless things are gone. I’m not a “hot freak” but I do like some heat in my supposed hot and sour soup!

(CJ Shrader) #45

Hey @Brenda,

I want to say this chili is really delicious. I particularly like the beans in it and they were worth the hassle to find them.

However, when I made it and figured out the nutrition I’m seeing roughly 4 net carbs per 100 grams. 100 grams isn’t much, so this is actually pretty high carb! And it’s worth mentioning that I skipped one can of crushed tomatoes too.

Was there some magical brand of tomatoes you used for the paste and the crushed tomatoes? Mine was very high carb and as far as I could tell it had no added sugars or anything.

(Diane) #46

Ooh… I’m going to try this! Hadn’t thought of adding mushrooms.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #47

These days we are cooking a lower carb version of this. I edited the original recipe.

The original recipe worked for us as we only ate 1/4 each, but we have moved towards lowering the carbs even further. Tomato paste is very high carb.

(Bob M) #48

I make a paleo chili that has no beans (to me, beans don’t belong in chili), but if has tomatoes, it’s going to be somewhat higher in carbs.

I up the flavor profile by adding soy sauce (naturally fermented, no wheat) (could use coconut aminos), anchovies, marmite; also add some larger chunks of chuck; I cook in an oven 200-225 covered but lid cracked for a few hours, 3-4.

I should compare that to the recipe in this thread (without the beans though).

(Laurie) #49

I’ve made chili with canned black soybeans many times. I’ve also made it without beans. I prefer it with beans because they make the texture more interesting. As others have mentioned, you could probably use mushrooms for “texture” instead.

In some places, chili has neither tomato nor beans. Google chili no tomatoes, and you’ll find lots of recipes and tips.

(CJ Shrader) #50

Thanks Brenda! I’ll have to try this next time

Made a half batch – which is still HUGE — and having some for dinner tonight. Please tell Kevin I love this recipe!!!

(Laurie) #52

I’ve been using Eden black soybeans in chili forever. Today I decided to try your recipe. I changed a few things, because that’s just the way I am. My bf and I each had 1/6 of this, and I told him if it was good enough I’d take the rest to the potluck tomorrow. It was really good! Potluck here we come.

Usually I don’t find that cheese enhances this kind of thing, but cheese went perfectly with this.

(Angie M.) #53

So you basically HAVE to add the beans to reduce the amount of carbs in the dish, yes?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #54

Counting net carbs doesn’t work that way at all. If you don’t want to put beans in the dish you don’t have to. Adding the beans does not reduce the amount of carbs in the chili.

(Laurie) #55

I use black soybeans in chili (and certain other dishes) for texture and appearance. If it’s just a bowl of cooked ground beef I think it looks like dog food.

By the way, we did take the chili to the potluck. They ate it all, and I got lots of compliments! (Even though I didn’t take any cheese to sprinkle on top.)

Thanks for info on the beans. I’ve done a chili similar to this but on top of one lb of beef and sausage, it called for a pound of bacon (mmmmmm). It’s really good. I’m going to try next time with the beans!

(Catherine) #57

Did anyone figure up how many calories, carbs, protein and fat per serving and how many servings this makes?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #58

I have calculated it before but didn’t save the information. You’ll have to do the math lol

(Diane) #59

Always a good idea as different brands of ingredients are likely to have different macro nutrient profiles. So the nutrient information will differ slightly (or a lot) based on the ingredients you are actually using.