Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

why shrimp and crab taste sweet is because they are collecting amino acids in their tissue, as a way to balance the salt in the surrounding water. Their preferred amino is glycine, which tastes sweet, and thus the more glycine in your -----this is from the net and you can read more on it if ya google up some extra info on it all.

also FB shrimp have carbs :slight_smile: when one reads their nutritional values listed. like 3 of beef has 0 carbs, 3 oz… of shrimp have about 1 or so.

That is why you will feel shrimp is a sweet meat and so is crab etc.

These few carbs in this meat is not one bit in any way bad for a zero carb person ever. They don’t count. They don’t count because they are wrapped in a super nutritious wrapper of meat protein. But can enough shrimp effect blood sugar etc? That would need to be a personal experiment cause I never do blood sugar ever in my life. I think it was one time, long long ago I did a prick the finger cause my MIL is diabetic and used her machine thingy. My sugar level was like 84 or something like that. She said oh that is low and I said, hell no that is where people should be LOL She had no f’ing clue truly on good BS numbers vs. bad ones kinda and she is the sick one LOL

Crave in the future. Yes that is a real thing. Many of us do just that.
We know we don’t snack. We don’t graze eating thru the day like others or as we did before switching to carnivore. We feed. We feed on a good big zero carb meal and we think about the next one and how/what foods are bodies might be directing us toward.

I eat my big meal and then as my body tells me thru the day into night, how I might wanna eat tomorrow. Big beef one day, might be switching to lighter seafood and chicken the next so my body is directing my mind into a ‘what you might need’ next food, like more fat day or less etc. and it is a real thing and a good thing. It is our body telling our minds we might need more fat, need more dense food again like a steak, or our body is super satisfied and wants a lighter meal of eggs/bacon and draws us in other directions. This is a perk of sensing your body is actually speaking to you :slight_smile: As many of us never got these true feelings when eating crap and our body is directing us as it should naturally do. Only time I got any feelings when eating crap…I wanted and needed to eat crap ALL day cause I was nutritionally starving my body of any true nutrition and your body says, omg eat, I need real nutrition yet I was still feeding it a friggin’ bag of potatoe chips UGH

So I have to say FB you are becoming one hell of a tuned in zero carb person. Very cool you are feeling as much as you are so quickly…a lot of carnivores don’t have a clue on a lot of this insight into how their body is changing, let alone acting on it and asking questions so early on…you are special zero carber if ya ask me, I like it, very cool!!

and I saw those mushrooms on that plate HAHA next time say no mushrooms, give me more eggs as a substitute, that way you can share more with your date and everyone is more happy then :wink: :sunny:

(Polly) #904

I just had steak and prawns for my lunch. The combination was divine!

food yesterday was

8 slices bacon
7 link sausage
2 chicken breast pan fried in a lot of grass fed butter for sopping…yum
2 beef sticks

wanting beef today. got a 1 lb. ribeye defrosted and will hit up that bad boy later on and be very happy. another meal after, not sure. I might hit up a lot of hamburger as my second go to. got beef on the brain today!

zero carb is fabulous and treating me wonderful. I feel so alive! Alive and thrive LOL

(Cheryl) #906

I’m still coming out of the post-Holiday season and my weight is almost back to where it was before I fell off Carni. It’s been great to be back for the last few weeks.
I’ve noticed these last few days that I don’t feel for fatty meat. I want to trim the fat off a pork roast, for instance. And added butter doesn’t appeal to me after reverse-searing a steak, for instance. I’ll listen to my body and monitor how I feel. Anyone else getting that feeling?

HI!! Happy you posted an update!!

absolutely Cheryl. You eat exactly as you want and desire. There are absolutely no rules on following exactly what you want to eat at all times…well…one rule, no carbs HAHA

You got this. Eat everything you love and want and never give it a second thought. Rock it out!!!

You know the first day I ate a 1 lb. pack of bacon I thought, OMG this can’t be right ever in any person’s life on this plant!! You know what, it is right for anyone who is zero carb on this planet if it what they want and desire it :slight_smile: Since then I have eaten many a 1 lb. pack of bacon with the happiest darn look on my face while doing it and thinking, others are eating celery and dipping into ‘light ranch’ on the side. Omg this plan rocks big time LOL

(Daisy) #908

Nice to read everyone’s updates. I have been holding true to 100% carnivore with a minor exception last Sunday when we celebrated Valentine’s Day early at red lobster. I said no to the cheddar bay biscuits, but purposefully ordered the lobster smashed potato, along with my lobster, steak and smoked sausage. I really enjoyed it but it made me super sick afterwards. I still won’t get on the scale, but I feel like I’m really not losing weight. I look better, building some muscle, but definitely not losing weight. It bothers me a bit, but I keep pushing it out of my mind. My life is filled with a lot of stress and I’m not good at managing it well. I’m trying. Digestion is better! Not 100% but about 90. Sleep is still not where I’d like it, nor is energy (due to the sleep I think), but all is slowly improving.

@Ketodaisy MRSA from a spider bite. I had no idea that could happen! Man, the normal bite is bad enough with all of the reactions that come along with it but MRSA? Yikes! Sure glad you are okay now!

Btw, extra bonus points for saying NO to those super tempting “cheddar bay biscuits” lol.

(Edith) #910

@Ketodaisy, it took many months for my digestion to get normal when I switched to carnivore. I still have good days and bad days, but the good days are starting to out number the bad days.

Before breakfast blood tests. Glucose: 5.3mmol/l; ketones 0.6 mmol/l.

Finding better nutritional ketosis in Keto carnivore having eased off dairy.

When I say dairy, I mean HWC and cheeses. But am still using butter and ghee for cooking. I don’t drink/ use any milk. I reckon when people go on about “dairy” on podcasts they should actually specify whether it is milk, cheese, yogurt, cream butter, or whey.

PKD is a no dairy approach due to gut irritation from the carbs and/or the proteins. PKD, no whey.

I have gained about 9lbs body weight since starting this challenge and lost inches from my waist measurement. I’m 6’5”. Body weight scales are dumb. I only know that weight change from going to a doctor’s appointment. This style of Keto is a redistribution of body mass, rather than a weight loss exercise, in my n=1.

The spider bite reaction has gone. There is a small mark where it bit. That’s all.

Great to have you back Cheryl. Hope your thread ain’t too messy with us n=1 experimenters leaving our stories scattered around the place.

The instinct to eat fat, or not, is interesting. Researchers argue eating less dietary fat, to within a zone (as yet ill described), will allow a fat adapted individual to use their own body fat for body energy.

My experience in these months comes at it from the other side. A carnivore challenge can quickly morph into a protein sparing modified fast. That is a lower fat, low carb way of eating. I ate a bit too much protein on some meals and found, in my case, I remained kind of hungry. I say kind of hungry as it was more dissatisfied. By adding a bit more fat, of my choosing, such as butter, my satiety was greater. This was preferable action for me, rather than eating more meat, as @Fangs might recommend to someone who was actually hungry, rather than just not satiated.

I enjoy that hunger satiation has 50 shades of fat or protein. And that I can now sense at least 2 of them.

thanks FB…good to be reminded :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yes there is that line of satisfied with your meal or being ‘truly hungry’ as in your body wants food point blank. Fat and what meat/seafoods etc one does eat will be known to them as they progress on carnivore.

There are days I fat it up big time and down it a big on actual meat and there are days that meat fills my tummy and is way more important than a ‘fast fest’ day so it is very personal to each of us what ‘true signals’ we are getting and how we approach those meals for the day to give us what we need.

A newer person on carnivore just starting out, most times it is real hunger point blank. That is when you feed the body. It helps in a lot of ways to keep a person on the plan and to also not make them scared of how much they do eat because we count no kcals on this plan ever.

great chat on the thread :slight_smile: everyone seems to be doing just great and finding their personal way!!

food yesterday was

1 lb. ribeye steak. yum

1 chicken breast

2 beef sticks

Scale gave me another 1/2 lb. drop. I got the 1/2 lb. dropsies happening and I like it LOL

I was hungry and not hungry after that big old ribeye. So I ate some chicken and then wasn’t hungry at all but late in the day I wanted food but honestly, I wasn’t cooking and eating food to lay in my tummy late at night so I passed on eating, grabbed a few beef sticks and that held me but this morning…so yea I am eating good and early :slight_smile: I woke up hungry so feed me LOL

food yesterday was

1 lb. monster cheeseburger
1 chicken breast dipped in homemade alfredo sauce
2 beef sticks

everything is going fine on zero carb!

(Daisy) #917

So I was watching Kelly Hogan’s latest video last night and realized (when the lady said something about hers) that my spider/varicose veins have massively improved since keto/carnivore. I say keto/carnivore because I really have no idea when they went away lol.

Also pretty amazed at how fast my foot healed. I dropped a kitchen knife and stabbed through it 2 Friday’s ago, and by that Sunday, there was zero pain. I could barely walk Friday night and Saturday. Again, never really thought much about it until someone else said something about their quick healing.

very true Daisy. Our body can and will put in its’ true efforts for faster healing because it is all it really ‘needs’ to handle caused our carnivore bodies are literally healthy and can put all that time and effort into direct healing of say, a cut, or whatever. Sounds crazy but it is true.

Our SAD sluggy carb coma bodies were so polluted that when we had a wound or other type of troubles it had to handle so much inflammation, healing our insides and battling toxins/chemical processed crap that it just can’t and won’t function to its capacity. We overwhelm our entire system. All the bad piles on and on and on and our poor bodies.

when I think back how I ate, omg I am always amazed how our bodies can take such abuse for such a long time but that one day, ya know, we can go down with multiple disease and diagnosis in a flash, like many do and live with.

Zero carb took away a lot of med fears for me truly. I like that about this plan :slight_smile:

OW on the stabbing LOL…cool though you feel better now!

You made me think what I did the other day. I have very long fingernails and I was cutting my ribeye up before I cooked it and I literally sliced straight thru my fingernail and it was one scathing hair from my fingertip. I thought omg I sliced off my nail and just missed my fingtertip, and I got such darn sharp knives they are scary as heck…I knew to cut slower and watch where my fingers are…another reminder for me to slow down with my sharp knives LOL

great report KD!!

(Daisy) #919

Oh my!!! I’m so glad you missed your fingertip!

Sardines scramble eggs for breakfast
It was an early breakfast at about 8.30 am
1 can sardines in olive oil
3 large eggs
Pink salt
Sheet of nori seaweed
Cup of black coffee and MCT oil

Weekend work at computer to get a head start on next week.

:nauseated_face:

Brain working hard, body sedentary in front of a screen.

Headache, agitated after 3 hours. Body made me move. Got out for a surf check and cafe stop. Ham and cheese. Coffee with cream. Dairy comfort. Dairy needs a close looking at. Look at ocean. No waves yesterday. Today big, wild surf. How we rapidly change. Watered the trees. The fruit is ripe in the food forest. I stood in an bull ants’ nest and had to do a dance, then a striptease to get them out of my jeans.

Scotch fillet steak and two large eggs cooked in butter for dinner. My wife had salmon fillet and salad. There were 3 Nectre dripping figs left in the fridge. I had none. They are gone.

Back to the city on Monday. Looking forward to work. I like my job. The 3 hour drive allows at least two human nutrition podcasts to keep me learning and adapting.

Breakfast? A filet mignon smothered in 4 tablespoons of grass fed tallow. Oh man… :heart: at first bite! lol Also had beef liver and bone broth.

Linner? (2nd meal around 3pm. A combo of lunch and dinner, heh) Canadian bacon, gobs of pork lard, anchovies and bone broth. Mighty tasty day. :slight_smile:

@Fangs I want to talk about fibre. I just listened to Dr. Dale Bredesen (The End of Alzheimers) again and he makes an interesting point about toxins in fat and detoxifying the modern body by doing a poo.

Shall we chat here or here: