Check Out Mrs.Know It All

newbies
fasting

(Kimbrie) #1

I am BRAND new, like a few days now. When I discovered the program I pretty new early on this was the perfect program for me. Great for obese people (I have 100 to lose), quick results were a definite plus, plus it would teach me to make eating healthy and exercise a regular part of my life. It offered an entire lifestyle change. I read a lot, then I read some more. I posted to this forum and another asking any questions that came up. In my mind I was set, i had read enough testimonials so i figured i was prepared for just about anything to go down just fine. I made what turned out to be a rather uneducated decision. I was going to start with the fasting, in my mind get that weight loss kick started. I must have had 6 or 8 people caution me against it, but hey I had spent a few hours online, I knew what I was doing. I decided to start out the fast for 48 hrs and then 12 not fasting, and from then on it would be 36/12. Dont ask me where these numbers came from. In all my research I have seen anyone use that type of schedule. Could be I thought I was going to come in an revolutionize the place with “original” plan…thinking back I am not sure, honestly I was so excited. I couldn’t wait to start putting these things into action, start to finally change my life for good. So the first 48 hours were totally what I would consider ideal. I bought a water bottle str8 away so I could make sure I got my water, that seemed pretty important. To be honest I wasnt even the slightest bit hungry and was very active during that time and never felt poopy. Hour 50 rolls around I am having so much fun I again make the proclamation that why not go to 72. Not long after that stellar move, things started to go slightly down hill. That night I was blessed with the incredible insomnia I had read about several places. I laid in bed tried to sleep but I was so restless, sleep was not coming. I moved out to the couch so hubby could sleep and laid there all night praying for some sleep. The next morning the other keto “flu” symptoms came on one by one, the confusion, fatigue, muscle weakness, I turned into the biggest crabby patty too. So the moral of the story is if 6 people tell you something is a bad idea as well as not a single solitary person tells you it is a good idea…stick with the majority, especially when they are all people who have been at it awhile. I feel dumb and a bit defeated, but I will NEVER give up. Tomorrow is my first food day, so hopefully tonight I get some sleep so i can start fresh tomorrow. Have a GREAT night

(Susan) #2

Kimbrie -what happened to your username on this post, I just see a numbers and letters, your username is gone.

You will be fine, try not to stress =). We are all here to help and support you and give you helpful hints of things that work for us and what doesn’t!

Remember that everyone is unique and what works for one person might not work for another.

You can do this, you are an intelligent woman and are ready to make changes for the better in your life. You will do great, just breathe =).

(Kimbrie) #3

I am not sure what happened it wont let me click on it or anything???

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Try signing out and back in again Kimbrie. :cowboy_hat_face:

Welcome! Look athe bright side. Think of how easy a 24 hour will seem next time.

(Kimbrie) #6

Way to look at the bright side of life friend, it made me smile and that is always cool! :grin:

(Kristen Ann) #7

To be honest I think its impressive you fasted that long without being fat adapted. You should be proud of yourself (not feeling dumb or defeated). It took me months to work up to 48 hour fasts. I haven’t be able to do one since February. Keto flu can happen with or without fasting… Just need to keep your electrolytes up. Also there a few (rare?) people on here that started their keto journey by fasting to get into ketosis, so not unheard of. Just brave souls. Good luck on your keto journey. Keep up your electrolytes and you’ll be fine.

(Kimbrie) #8

Hi Kristen I really appreciate you saying that. I am not really sure what has me so hell bent for leather…but I also weirdly chose to have my kiddo bots naturally lol. In my brain it made sense…a few learning experiences out of it. #1 I didn’t get my electrolytes until late today when I already felt a little poopy. So next time I will not only be well hydrated but I will have a couple of days of the minerals under my belt…that brings up a question, I accidentally bought the supplement and it doesnt have phosphorus in it. Should I go get a phosphorus supplements? Secondly, I need to eat good meals the day before, this last time technically I was fasting since friday but I hadn’t eaten all day. So by the last day my body was like, oh really we’ll show you. I am not going past 48 hours I dont think until I am fat adapted…it might go better, but there is no reason I NEED to push it too much. How I felt wasnt too bad, but you cant expect yourself to get anything done as I was just wiped out. Still overall a truly wonderful experience and I can easily say I am hooked. Enjoy your night

(Kristen Ann) #9

Do you mean potassium? I don’t take any phosphorus supplements, so can’t help you there. If you meant potassium, just add lite salt to your electrolyte drink.

I definitely agree with this. I would suggest not fasting until you’re fat adapted, but to each his/her own. I’m no expert on this and I’m terrible at fasting unless I’m extremely busy lol. I think your body saying we’ll show you" might be sign to hold off fasting until you’re fat adapted. Fat adaption take several weeks… like 6-10 weeks.

(Kimbrie) #10

I did mean potassium, thank you. It is truly not my intention to argue, your opinion does matter to me. I am will think it through for a bit. I will say that the 48/actually close to 60 I did fast with nothing but water and 2 cups of coffee, I had no real hunger. I felt really good until the last day, but again my top number for awhile is 48. I felt on top of the world, almost euphoric. So my side of the fence feels that it went pretty well and next time I will be better prepared. Thank you again for trying to make sure I stay healthy that really means a lot

(Kristen Ann) #11

Everyone is different and you’ll get a lot of different advice on here. Just do what works for you!

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

This link explains how to remove the anonoymous number back to your name, if you want to post under your user name. HOW TO: Post anonymously(and revert to normal)

I experimented on myself a lot of times. Learned from all of it :slight_smile:

Little experimenting tells you what your body likes and dislikes, what tricks/tips come easy to you or are very hard. All that info gets put into a very personalized plan just for you to succeed.

Keep up the good work and hope you find a nice sweet spot to land thru your journey.

(mole person) #14

Lol… I enjoyed your post. You got keto flu.
It likely would have happened even if you hadn’t been fasting. It’s very common in the first days of keto. You’re doing the right thing. Lots of salt (don’t hesitate to even eat two additional teaspoons of it over the course of the day) and plenty of water as well.

Your being gung ho is not a bad thing. Most people who come here announcing big fasting plans off the bat fail miserably at them and so we caution a lot against it when we see it. But, some people take to it like ducks to water and this rarer success is more common in those who have a lot to lose. It still takes a real fortitude to give up food for days and so it’s great that you had such a success right out of the gate.

There isn’t anything wrong with early fasting if you aren’t suffering from it. It’s the entire focus of Dr. Fung’s practice after all.

(Jane) #15

Just some friendly advice after reading some of your posts. You mentioned wanting to lose weight fast to keep motivated…

Keto will heal a lot of the damage the typical SAD diet does to our bodies. And sometimes this means your body prioritizes internal healing over weight loss and you hit the dreaded stall. Sometimes the scale doesn’t budge but your clothes get looser (so get a tape measure and write down your starting points). Men usually lose weight a lot faster than women so be careful about comparisons.

Weight loss isn’t linear and sometimes makes no sense. I’ve fasted and lost weight and most stayed off after re-feeding. I’ve fasted and lost weight and gained it all back after re-feeding. Eating basically the same things after re-feeding. So annoying!

But regardless of how your journey goes you can always get support here - celebrate your victories or need some encouragement.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

You clicked on the anonymise icon, and are now in anonymous mode. If the “no more anonymous” icon doesn’t work (I occasionally have trouble with it), you will have to log out and log back in under your username to post as yourself again.

(Kimbrie) #17

I totally agree and yes weight loss is my vanity speaking but at the end of the day I am in this to transform my life to a healthier lifestyle…I appreciate you taking the time to reply

(Kimbrie) #18

I have tried to toggle out of anonymous mode and it doesnt change anything…to be clear, the little spy means anonymous and the circle means regular right?

(Marianne) #19

:blush:

If it’s any consolation, I don’t think this is too uncommon. I’ve read a lot of posts from people just starting and after only a couple of days, they want to start fasting. I do it once a week (48 hours), but definitely not my favorite thing, plus I don’t think I tried it until 3-4 months.

If you can, try to approach keto as your new way of eating. Don’t think too much about food (other than to plan what you are eating for the day), weight, weight loss, checking blood levels or pee sticks, tracking, etc. (again, this is for me). Just enjoy your life and let the days pass. It goes by so quickly and after several months, you start to notice that you look a lot better in your clothes, have more energy, feel great, etc. It is so freeing.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

Kimbrie

You might want to ease into fasting. Sleep gets better when your body is used to the ketones. Not always perfect sleep but good enough.

Fast expert Megan Ramos advises 2 days of eating between fasting to keep your metabolic rate from going down.

Welcome - we are here to help.