Chaffles

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #161

Looking forward to my waffle maker arriving next week! I’m going to try an egg/cream cheese/xantham gum combo - I’ve made ‘pasta’ to that recipe and reckon it might bake quite nicely as a keto waffle.

Check out the technique in this video

To make my chaffles consistently, I put the mini-waffle maker on my kitchen scale and then do:

• 10 grams of shredded cheese
  • 25 grams of beaten egg (or batter)
  • 10 grams of shredded cheese

I do the precise measurements because I’m terrible at eyeballing the ingredients I’m adding. I always add too much and it oozes out over the waffle iron.

I just bought this shaker bottle, so I can do a lot of eggs (or batter) at once, to store in the fridge so it’s ready to go. It’s so easy to dispense 25 grams of egg/batter out of that shaker cup.

(Bob M) #163

You really do have to measure by weight and also find out for your particular model for what to use. For my large model, I’ve had to double the recipe, which means 76g egg and 60g cheese. That is less than two eggs, it’s about 1.5 eggs. So, if my wife makes one, we use 3 eggs between two chaffles.

Well, my first chaffle “failure” occurred last night. We were having “Taco Friday” (with no taco shells, of course), and I had all the food ready for the kids but was planning on making a chaffle as a “taco” shell. Everyone was already eating, and I hadn’t started the chaffel. So, I just did my normal and ate it out of the bowl.

Today, I get my small chaffel iron and I plan on making a chaffle for my blunch (ran for 40 minutes this morning, so I might only make it until 9:30 am or so for that). And by “ran” I mean “jogged so slowly that sloths could pass me”.

Edit: That’s about three “large” eggs in the US. I’m not sure how eggs are sized in Canada or elsewhere.

(Steve) #164

That is exactly how I make my crispy chaffle.
I use a washed out water bottle with enough beaten eggs for the chaffles that I will make in one day. Super easy pour on the scale. Measure, measure.

I weighed some large eggs yesterday and they came in at 65 grams each. The crispy chaffle recipe calls for 25 grams, I don’t know how people are getting a whole egg in there… chaffle iron size I guess?

(Steve) #165

Bob, what is the weight on your egg?
It looks like the kids are warming up to chaffles, did they try sandwiches yet?

I live in Norway and the eggs I use are about 45-50 grams.

(Boston_guy) #167

Kid is getting in the habit of chaffles for breakfast (instead of cereal). Made with mozzarella, some PB powder and chocolate protein powder. Some maple syrup - not exactly low carb, but it’s 95% good stuff and way more nutrient-dense than cereal.
Non-LC wife is liking cheesy chaffles too!

(Mandi) #168

I’ve had mine for about three months. No tips. Just enjoy!

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #169

Which cheeses are good for chaffles? Is gouda ok? Gouda usually has zero carbs.

(Susan) #170

Thanks @OgreZed for that video, I am a very visual learner so that is great =).

(Susan) #171

Thanks, @ctviggen Bob, I am going to make it for supper tonight and use it for a meal, a sandwich with ham and cheese I think =).

(Not a cow) #172

On sale for $20 today at Amazon.ca here https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71U5JOHwMWL.SX679.jpg

I just bought the stupid thing for $30 on Friday

(Susan) #173

@Moo --send them a complaint, they will credit you the $10

Believe me, I have done this a few times with Amazon, they don’t want you to be mad at them =).

Log in and go to the talk live to a rep option and it puts you in contact with a live person and they will credit your cc for the difference.

(Not a cow) #174

Thanks Mom, I will for sure. Better than returning and rebuying

(Not a cow) #175

Appreciate your help Mom, this worked like a charm, they credited me $10 on my next purchase after spewing off some thing about amazon prices change blah blah blah. haha.

(Susan) #176

Great! I have done it a few different times as well =).

(bulkbiker) #177

I’m guessing any hard cheese grated would be fine…
18 month aged gouda is one of my favourites…

(Ryan) #178

Hi all!
We have egg allergies in our home but I am super interested in trying out some chaffles that everyone has been posting.

Anyone figured out or tried a way to make them eggless?

Searching online I really only found one recipe that uses coconut flour and flax https://www.ketofocus.com/recipes/keto-vegan-chaffle/

Thanks!

(Elizabeth ) #179

My waffle iron arrived yesterday, and I’m in love! I’m often disappointed by keto recipes, but these ARE SO GOOD! My fav is with cream cheese and Everything But The Bagel seasoning. But I’m still experimenting!
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #180

Thank you. I see mozzarella here is either a ball in liquid, or already grated, but in this case it has potato. I assume the recipe is with the former, right?