Chaffles

(bulkbiker) #181

Grate your own… no additives…?
I use something like this

Could even just break up a slice of cheese. Then nothing to clean. :slight_smile:

Some people have used the ultra thin sliced cheeses top and bottom, as one slice is about a 10 grams serving size. But I would think that would squeeze all the egg mixture out of the waffle iron as it closes.

(bulkbiker) #183

Hardly a mix though and you still need something to beat the egg up in?
You can add the grated cheese to that?

(Susan) #184

So thankful this recipe was posted — I’ve been wanting bread lately (unusual) and when I cave and have a slice or two of Ezekiel bread it ALWAYS upsets my GI tract and makes arthritis flare up. Going to the grocery tomorrow, can’t wait to get the ingredients and give this a try. Now if I can just find the waffle iron… :slightly_smiling_face:

(Mandi) #185

Has anyone tried chaffles with ricotta?

(Elizabeth ) #186

:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:
Chaffles on Sunday - perfect!
Chaffles on Monday - burnt one and sealed the waffle maker shut with the other one :sob::sob::sob:

(PSackmann) #187

Coming in late, I used my Villaware Belgian waffle maker this morning, made 4 at once. Used custard cups to beat each egg individually and add the grated cheese. Cooked on medium high for 10 minutes, and they came out easily, no sticking. A bit eggy for what I was expecting, I used cream cheese, lettuce and bacon on 2 and couldn’t eat it all. Extras are in the fridge for later this week, maybe with tacos tomorrow night

Air fryer, brilliant!

(Wendy) #189

Well made a burger Chaffle. After a 20hr fast. Had a left over burger,figured was a good chance to try it. Was pretty good. Although half my mouth was numb, due to dental work this am. Funny the taste buds are not as sensitive. So I will try it agian. Want to also try a BLT. Love the options it gives!!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #190

Have just been doing my online grocery order ready for the anticipated delivery of my waffle maker!

Options are:
Block mozzarella ‘for cooking’: 2.2g carbohydrate per 100g
Ready-grated mozzarella (added ingredient of potato starch): 2.5g carbohydrate per 100g

Not much difference in carb count there - I did in fact go for the former, but only because it was cheaper!

(Third option is the soggy white mozzarella in a bag - I get this quite often for my keto lasagne - but I guess it’s not really chaffleable though.)

(Bob M) #191

That’s good, Susan. I got my oldest daughter eating a chaffel with ham and cheese this Saturday. My wife was about to show her how to make a chaffel on Sunday, but I was sitting there, just after making ham and cheese and a chaffel, and my daughter said she wanted one (her second one of the weekend). So, like a good dad, I gave up my ham and cheese, chaffel sandwich to her, and made another. :wink:

I got the small waffle maker – and it’s tiny. I see why people think it’s good for burgers, as it is a good size for that, but I see using my huge waffle maker more often.

Chaffle pepperoni and bell pepper pizza. Added basil, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder and salt to the chaffle batter. Used the cheese - egg - cheese method.

My waffle maker has 4 wells so I used two for the chaffles and I put the bell peppers flattened out on the other two wells to cook them a bit. Took about 10 minutes to finish. Added a little tomato sauce, mozzarella and toppings then broiled in toaster oven with toppings. The corners were a teensie bit soggy from the tomatoe sauce by the time I got to the last couple of bites. Next time I may actually melt the cheese on first and then add a little sauce and toppings.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #193

I always preferred regular pizzas constructed this way. Maybe a variation taken from Chicago style but a local number 1 rated New York thin style place here uses this. No biting in and pulling a slab of melted cheese off the top lubricated by a layer of hot sauce causing second degree burns on your chin when a the whole cheese top slides off! :grin:

The superiority to me is no soggy crust and the cheese dough fusion. Those look pretty great. :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks!

That does make for a slippery situation. I never thought about that. Makes total sense though. Crust then melty protective cheese then wet stuff.

(Steve) #195

We tried meatloaf on a buttered chaffle with creamy gravy and super hot horseradish last night.The chaffle reminded me of good old Yorkshire pudding soaking in the gravy. I think the chaffle makes a great substitute for Yorkshire minus the flour. How about hot turkey on a chaffle with a rich gravy at Thanksgiving, who needs stuffing?

Tonight I get a loaded big fat meatloaf chaffle sandwich with the leftovers, it has to be in my top 5 chaffle meals

(Susan) #196

Yesterday I made 4 Chaffles in total -all turned out great; which was awesome for me, as my first attempt the other day was a mess.

I made a BLT for lunch and 2 Keto pizza’s for supper with them. Both meals were delicious.

(Shar) #197

Just got my butt back on Keto after a slight break over part of the Summer. Anyway, I was surprised and delighted to come across the chaffle craze. LOL The other day I made a mock McGriddle. For TWO chaffles I used 1 egg, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 2 tbsp of swerve and 2 tsp of sugar free syrup (roughly as I eyeballed it). And oh my, when I added on my sausage, egg and cheese, it was heaven!!! LOL

I also made some cheddar jalapeno ones for various other sandwiches but am having a problem reheating them. Anyone else have this issue? They were floppy and greasy after trying to warm the one in the toaster and I tried it again in the microwave and nope, not good. Any suggestions or should I just stick to making them fresh as I need them?

(Bob M) #198

I really do think that chaffles are a game changer. We had them last night with hot dogs, taco meat, sour cream, cheese. I cut my large chaffle into two and use them as open-faced sandwiches. My wife made this one with different cheese (cheddar), and they were great.

I’m planning on using the small maker to make an egg, ham, and cheese sandwich. That would be great. If this works out, I may buy another small waffle maker, as to make sandwiches for more than one person can take a while with only one small waffle maker.

My wife and I were discussing when we got our large waffle maker, and when we actually used it. We didn’t remember. We’ve had it at least 7+ years, and we don’t remember using it much until now. In fact, it was in the cabinets above the fridge, and you had to get a stool to reach up there to get it.

I like chaffles so much that I got pepperoni, to make chaffle pizza. I’ll test that out. (And I haven’t eaten pepperoni in a long time; since moving to higher protein, I usually eat ham instead.)

('Jackie P') #199

Hurray it’s here
All the way from the USA!
The good news, :grin:

The bad news :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I need a ruddy plug adapter :sob:

(Bob M) #200

Bummer. Report back once you get that adapter.