Chaffles

(Steve) #141

I’m not sure what method or recipe that you are cooking?
I use either the Crispy Chaffle or the Fluffy Chaffle
Crispy Chaffle method is: Add 1/2 the cheese to the iron and pour the egg on top add the other 1/2 of cheese and cook. I find that it brings out the salty cheesy taste as it crisps up.
The Fluffy Chaffle Method is: Mix the egg and cheese together by weight and pour the mixture onto the iron and cook. It results in a milder taste, it is also my preferred chaffle for eggs benedict and sweet based chaffles.

I think it could also be the cheese that you are using. I made some chaffles with Monterrey jack and they were pretty mild in salt and cheesy taste. I would try that for a sweet based chaffle, I think you will be surprised once you get chocolate or cinnamon in there. The other point I would like to make is measure by weight. Specific to my chaffle iron,I use 38 grams of beaten egg in a basic single chaffle recipe. If I weigh my extra large eggs that I presently have on hand, one whole egg weighs in at 60 or so grams. That is a huge difference jamming a whole egg into one chaffle. The same goes for the cheese, 1/2 a cup of cheese needs to be weighed for your particular iron to be consistent on every chaffle. I weighed out 25 grams of cheese for a single chaffle but that is for my iron. If i used the 1/2 cup method of measuring cheese it could possibly weigh in at 40 grams because it was a finer shred or packed in too tightly. I also don’t want extra carbs sneaking in on the keto diet.

Write down your weights, cook time and different cheeses to hone in on your perfect chaffle.

I picked up cheap scales from Amazon for under $10

(Steve) #142

That looks really good and you nailed it on the first go. It only gets better too… pizza, eggs benedict, burgers buns, sweet stuff…

(MooBoom) #143

Thank you! I stalked this thread obsessively and made the chaffles according to the cheese/egg/cheese method. We also got a ridiculously powerful waffle maker because I had a hunch chaffles were going to be a big part of my life, and I didn’t want to fart around with a halfway ok machine.

#noregrets #itsthechafflelifeforme

(Mandi) #144

I used the mix of egg and mozzarella. I didn’t weigh, but will next time. I wonder if it’s the waffle maker. It’s classic and not belgium, so maybe they are crispier than normal. Don’t get me wrong, it was delicious. Maybe I should cook them a little less. Time to experiment! Thanks for the suggestions!

(Mandi) #145

Thanks Janie! I will give that a try.

(Mandi) #146

May I ask what type of waffle maker you bought? I bought a Breville recently and it’s amazing and those look a lot like my Breville waffles.

(MooBoom) #147

I did indeed buy the Breville! It is sensational. I’ve never been so excited by a small appliance. Peak adulting :joy:

(Mandi) #148

Could not agree more. Best waffles I’ve ever had! Did you use one egg per square? I wasn’t sure what portions to use because the wells are so deep!

(Bob M) #149

That’s why I’ll probably still use my large waffle maker for these, although I did order a small one too.

We’re having Taco Friday tonight. I usually just put the meat into a bowl with whatever else I like (usually salsa, cheese, onions, sour cream; I’m not a fan of avocado). I’m thinking I might make a chaffle and then put the filling in there, so I can pick it up.

By the way, using fresh salsa for some of my blunches, my CGM gave me zero blood sugar rise. Odd, that. I expected some blood sugar rise. (In fact, I had the same meal two days in a row, both with fresh salsa, and my blood sugar went down for the first day, so I tried to eat exactly the same the next day, and my blood sugar did not change. No idea why, although my first meal was after 36 hours fasting, my second after eating the day before.)

Guys- I don’t like the combo of egg and cheese as a Chaffle. I saw a recipe using egg and collagen and that looked interesting. Instead of buying collagen just yet, does anyone think i could use mct powder, which I already have? Anyone tried that as a chaffle; or just in general would mct powder be a good sub for collagen powder?

It only costs you an egg and a tablespoon. Have someone film you. if it is any good you willbe a youtube star

Chaffles Stuffed with Spicy Taco Meat, Cheese, and Jalapeños.
I tried a little different method this time. I put shredded cheese on first then poured less of the beaten egg into each waffle well. (I used two eggs total for the 4 waffles.) Then I put in my cooked taco beef, jalapeños and shredded cheese. I put the top down and cooked for about 8 minutes. This gave me a sort of top and bottom thinner chaffle. I took them off the waffle iron. I added cheese to one and sandwiched another on top while they were hot resulting in nice melted cheese. I topped with sour cream and a little habanero salsa.

It was yummy! It was a little crispier because of the cheese but no real difference in the chaffle itself except for volume.

(Susan) #153

I got my little tiny one today and I made one but I did it wrong I guess… I put cheese, then the egg, then cheese, and the egg made a gigantic mess all over the counter, and I let it cook, and it was really hard to get off the grill, and all fell apart… so I will look for a video of doing it on youtube I think =).

(Steve) #154

Could I suggest a really simple way to make a chaffle? Try mixing the beaten egg with the cheese and pour part of the mixture onto the preheated iron until you cover the waffle divots. Your eggs could be too large, that is why we measure. Let it cook for 5 minutes and take a peak to see if it needs to go longer. Another clue that it has finished cooking… the steam stops.
I’m sure you will get the hang of it.

(Susan) #155

OKay, thanks!! I will try that next time. For sure I wasn’t giving up at all, I just got it today and just had to try it immediately was all. I will try that and make a sandwich for supper. I think I am going to ask for a larger one for Christmas from my kids so I can make more then one piece at a time.

What a great tip!

(MooBoom) #157

Yep! One very large egg per square. I’m going to experiment with less egg and more cheese- to try to balance the egginess a bit better.
How long have you had yours? Any tips for me?

I used to avoid salsa and tomatoes because I thought it would mess with my weight loss.
I haven’t started testing my BG yet but anecdotally, after incorporating salsa to spice up some of my meals, I’m not seeing a correlation with salsa and a stall or other negative indicator. Surprises me.

(Wendy) #159

I’ve made Chaffle-keto-waffle
1 servings:

1. Oz mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup) 1.egg
    Easy to measure!!

Egg:90 cal
.4g carb
6.8g fat
6.3g protein
2. Mozzarella cheese: 45cal
.5 carb
3.5 fat
3g protein

(PJ) #160

This weekend I’m doing a huge experiment with these.

I will do one just for you. I have collagen hydrolysate, and I have MCT powder. I’ll see what I can do and post pics and results.

PS I am not optimistic about that combination but anything is worth trying. :slight_smile: