Chaffles

(Elizabeth ) #121

That is gorgeous!! :heart_eyes:

(Wendy) #122

Another idea!

My husband was needing a “Goody” :stuck_out_tongue:

(Susan) #123

That looks very nice Wendy =).

Just cooked the oreo CHaffle (can it be a chaffle with no CHeese?) with buttercream filling. The recipe filed two squares and while I didn’t cook them long enough to crisp up (i pulled them when it beeped) they were light and fluffy and perfect treats.

SWMBO is getting a little tired of the big waffle maker being out all the time so I will switch to the DASH when Amazon delivers…

(Wendy) #125

Was yummy!! Thank you!

(PSackmann) #126

It makes a perfect breakfast before a day of chores and yard work over a couple of eggs. The trick is not having too much, it is self-limiting in the amount that can be eaten at one time.

(Wendy) #127

I am pretty picky about portions. My husband, you have to be on him. He is the Cookie Monsters brother!
I like the recipe, 1 egg 1/2 mozzarella. 1 serving!

(Boston_guy) #128

Maker arrived yesterday, finally. My non-keto wife and kid had about 3 each. Very crispy and savory.

Tried a couple variations:

• sweet for the kid: peanut butter powder and chocolate protein powder.
  • Sour cream: Intensifies the flavor.

My breakfast was pulled pork sandwich with chaffles and kimchi. Yum. They need toasting though; get pretty floppy in the fridge.

TODO: Nutritional yeast

(PJ) #129

Ah you guys! I got a simple (non-belgian, I prefer the thin ones like mom made when I was a kid, in the paleolithic era) waffle iron a long time ago from amazon, and have had “figure out some kind of protein powder / coconut meal waffle that works” on my planning list for probably 10 months and haven’t done it.

And here you are with a recipe that is incredibly like the one I use in my Ninja to make baked firm ‘disks’ that I use for little pizza or sandwich or whatever! Which is rock-stupid easy, so ought to transfer, and I’ve consider it, but… lazy… Now finally you have inspired me to do this!

Might be worth the mention, from all my prior experimentations with “egg and cheese, sometimes a meal of some kind” baked into a breadish (as I call them):

Mozzarella (part skim): 4oz: Cal 288.00 Pro 27.52 Fat 18.04 Cho 3.16
Monterey Jack: 4oz: Cal 424.00 Pro 27.76 Fat 34.32 Cho 0.76
Provolone: 4oz: 400.00 Pro 29.00 Fat 30.20 Cho 2.44
Muenster: 4oz: Cal 416.00 Pro 26.56 Fat 34.08 Cho 1.28
Colby-Jack: 4oz: Cal 110.00 Pro 8.00 Fat 9.00 Cho 1.00
Blue&Gorgonzola: 4oz: Cal 400.00 Pro 24.28 Fat 32.60 Cho 2.64
Powdered Parm-blend (green can stuff): Cal 453.60 Pro 45.36 Fat 34.02 Cho 15.76
Cream Cheese: 4oz: Cal 396.00 Pro 6.96 Fat 39.04 Cho 6.24

While I’m at it:

Usually half a cup of fine-shred is about 4oz. So I’m baffled at the recipes on other sites that have 1 large egg and half a cup of mozzarella and say it has 1 carb. That would have 3.52 carbs. Seriously, I don’t mean to be pedantic, but the math here is numbers under 10, it shouldn’t be hard. :grin:

Jack is more mild than Mozz and works better for anything sweet
Jack melts far better than Mozz
Mozz does have a bit more texture/firmness when melting as a result though
Jack is much lower carb higher fat
Pepper jack is barely more than the regular jack stats, works great for anything mexican-inspired (but gives me a slight gluten reaction probably due to whatever they coat the pepper-bits in so they don’t stick, prior to selling them to the cheese makers. Sadly this happens even with really good brands like Tillamook).

I find no real diff when blending egg-cheese-meal and baking (nonstick ceramic baking sheet in oven), between the end results, except that cream cheese will be a bit less firm, and will make a messier Ninja (food processor where I mix it all together including reducing the cheese big blocks to crumbles first), but aside from that they all bake up about the same.

Oh, well, and the trivia that for whatever reason, I cannot eat any such thing made with cheddar or colby that does not make me feel like I am eating a giant Goldfish Cracker. :wink:

My favorite adds have been trader joe’s “everything bagel” mix; and a blend of things like dried celery and some other herbs, which make my disks taste totally like a “veggie cracker.” Also, blend of italian herbs and red pepper flakes for pizza stuff, and a tiny bit of garlic powder (little goes a long way) and charnushka seed for anything savory.

My disks, which are thin from a cast-iron tortilla press, I can cut up after baking with a pizza cutter, and toss in the dehydrator for crackers. Bit of experimentation required and they are never quite as crispy (a different kind of crispy, more like hard so they break, instead of light and airy; when lighter, they are slightly more bendy).

But here’s a guess: you could probably chop up these waffles just a little, make them initially with a little salt, dehdrate them a bit (optional) – and then use them kind of like chips in nachos. Ideally, cook your nacho toppings, dump over it, and then use that great idea from Steve higher up this thread about sodium citrate to reduce your cheese to more like a melty nacho sauce

You could also toss your pepperoni into a good food processor and mix it right into your base, for a good start on pizza

Trivia: Everything-bagel seed/onion blend has a nutrition label that lists 5 calories and 0 everything for 1/4 tsp. It would be fair to allot a little of that cal to carb (let’s say 0.33 cho + 0.33 fiber (so .66 cho total), 0.33 protein). Because all of these things done separately (the seeds and dried onions) are 1-2 carbs per tsp. But usually I would want to use about 1 Tbsp of the stuff – which is 12x the 1/4tsp. So at best, assuming 0.33 carb per 1/4 tsp, then 1 Tbsp of it is about 3.96 net carbs. Yes this is an estimate. It could be less. But I would not want someone to innocently stick 2-3 Tbsp of the stuff into a couple of these and eat a sandwich or two with it daily and not realize it might be affecting their macros that much. If you only have 20g net to start with, little things can matter. :slight_smile:

My waffle iron is an economy Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker (currently $21.82 at amazon with Prime shipping, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JKZN/ ) Steel and nonstick which is the norm. 120v 1000w with 5-browning-settings. Manual suggests 1/2 cup batter poured on middle as ideal quantity and setting #3 for ‘golden brown’. They are about 7 inches diameter and probably about half an inch thick. (I second others’ suggestions to check thrift stores which often have waffle makers!) The reviews on this one vary widely from fabulous, to horrible, to ‘ok for the price’ so I guess YMMV. :slight_smile:

I got rid of my panini grill long ago. I still have a foreman grill – that might “reheat” these crispy if a toaster didn’t or using the waffle iron again was a bother. (Does a toaster make these crispy if they are fridged or frozen??)

I will do a whole experimental series with different cheeses, settings and process this weekend and post pics and details.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

PJ

(Steve) #130

The crispiest chaffle so far
I crushed up pork rinds into a panko bread crumb consistency and added half to the bottom layer with the cheese. Wow, I’m thinking that I can make a super crispy chaffle and cut it into small squares to use as crackers or croutons. Maybe some garlic salt, sesame seeds…
I’m using the double chaffle iron square 4" x 4" so my weight measurements are different than the mini iron.

Oil a preheated chaffle iron
Half the cheese on the chaffle iron.
Add half of the crushed pork rinds
pour on the egg
Add remaining cheese and pork rinds
Close the lid and cook till golden brown
Rest on a baking rack to crisp up

(Polly) #131

Wow! That does sound good!

(Jane) #132

Not necessarily, which is why weighing is best. According to Chronometer, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated is 0.9 net carbs and 4 oz is 3.5 net carbs. The difference is depending on how fine you grate the cheese, the more you can get into 1/2 cup.

I had leftover smoked sausage and roasted peppers. Sliced the sausage into very thin coins and chopped the cooked peppers. I used a mix of cheddar and mozz for the chaffles and also mixed in a tablespoon of mayo into the beaten eggs. (I’m not sure why except that I used to use mayo on the outside of my grilled cheese instead of butter when frying it so maybe something… I dunno.)

Anyway, I layered the ingredients in:
cheese then egg then stuffing then egg then cheese. Cooked them on high for about 10 minutes.

Then I dipped them in sour cream and habanero salsa and relocated them into my tummy. They were so good. I don’t even remember it.

You know when you drive to work and you get there and you don’t recall the actual drive? That’s kind of what happened.

(Steve) #134

We just happened to have the old school waffle iron hanging around just to be thrown out until the the chaffle came along. I like how we can cook two chaffles at a time. The mini is fast but if you are cooking for a few people or need a top & a bottom for a burger bun it’s not as fast.

(PJ) #135

Right, that was my point indirectly – I can grate things to 4 different sizes, plus I usually Ninja them into granules instead. Weight should always be used in recipes like this. :slight_smile:

(PJ) #136

I watch videos at 1.25-1.5 speed. Just went through a ton of them on chaffles. This guy is my fave, he’s quick and compares a lot of different approaches:

Six chaffle recipes compared

4 viewer submissions tested:

6 more viewer submissions tested:

(Mandi) #137

@Jamboribs. I made these tonight. Classic waffle maker, one egg, half cup pre-shredded bold cut mozzarella. Had it in for four minutes. I have read that these should be pretty neutral in flavor, but I found them very salty/cheesy in taste. I don’t know how I could make these sweet based on what I tasted. Just hoping for your professional Chaffle opinion. Thanks!

(Jane) #138

Could you try Jack cheese instead? It’s the mildest flavor cheese I can think of

(Kristen Ann) #139

creative idea.

(MooBoom) #140

Geez all I’ve seen for the last week is chaffle this, chaffle that, and hot DAMN they look good!
So I’ve been madly researching waffle makers and we finally got one today.

And yes. Chaffles really are everything they’ve cracked up to be! Light! Crispy! Tasty! Customisable! Perfect substitute for toast- doesn’t leak or go soggy!

I am a chaffle convert.