Chaffles

FYI – The “Serious Keto” channel on YouTube has several interesting Chaffles videos where he tests out some basic variations on the recipe, many based on comments to earlier videos:

IIRC, one of his favorites was adding Quest’s Cinnamon Crunch cereal protein powder, and another was adding nutritional yeast (for a more cheesy flavor).

I wasn’t fond of his almond flour vs coconut flour comparison, because he shouldn’t have been using equal measures for them. Since coconut flour is so absorbent, he should have used 1 Tbsp of almond flour vs 1 tsp of coconut flour.

If nothing else, he just shows how versatile the combination of cheese and egg can be. :slight_smile:

(Steve) #102

Bob
I started a Gravy & Sauce recipe thread, step by step basic gravy.

(Bob M) #103

Thanks.

I have not been a fan of “fake” foods, like “fake” keto bread. However, we had chaffles last night and made pulled-pork sandwiches. I have to admit that we’ll add chaffles to our repertoire. I’ll still eat some foods without them, like burgers, as I usually eat 3+ burgers at a sitting, so I’ll still use lettuce leaves for those. But when having a single sandwich, these are great and easy to make. It’s helpful to be able to pick something up and be less messy.

I won’t get my small waffle maker for a while, but the benefit to having a large waffle maker, as we have now, is we can make one chaffle and have enough for one sandwich. With the small one, I’ll have to make two chaffles.

(Wendy) #104

(Jane) #105

Ok, headed to Walmart to pick up some things for Chaffles this weekend when I get home. At least non-perishable items like everything bagel seasoning. I’ll be home all next week so can experiment with the Chaffles.

So far I plan on eggs benedict with my fresh hen eggs and everything bagel and cream cheese. I don’t have a mini waffle maker so will make them in my 8" round and cut in 4ths for the bagels and just use one large one with 2 eggs on it for the eggs benedict.

Can’t wait!

(Steve) #106

I used the old sandwich maker for grilled cheese this morning.
Sprinkle 10 grams of mozzarella, 30 grams egg, 10 grams mozzarella and cooked 6 minutes.
Pulled the chaffles out and layered Swiss cheese, capicola more Swiss.
Put the top chaffle on and back into the iron for 45 seconds.
Outstanding flavour and crispy crunch, better than grilled cheese on bread.

(Susan) #107

That looks awesome.

(Steve) #108

Thanks, You will get your mini soon and grilled cheese should be on your list. My wife wouldn’t stop talking about it lol

(Susan) #109

Happy Forum Anniversary Steve!

I have always loved grilled cheese sandwiches so that will for sure be on my list of things to make when it comes!

(Steve) #110

Thanks, I was wondering why I had a pork chop by my name

(Jane) #111

I gave my sandwich maker away too soon! :upside_down_face:

Glad I kept my waffle iron.

(Steve) #112

I was in a thrift shop the other day and they were selling them for $5.

('Jackie P') #113

Ahhh! Never 'eard of it! But it sounds delish! I was thinking good old English gravy!
Mmmmm… I am going to say something now and then disappear. Don’t try and find me :sunglasses:.
There are 5.98 grams of carbs in 1tbsp of plain flour. 1tbsp of plain flour when mixed with meat juices and stock makes enough (English) gravy to serve 3 people. By my reckoning thats about 2g carbs per serve and not worth agonising about gloopy gums and claggy flours!
About 5 times a year I am just so dirrrrty :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jane) #114

I’m on your side. I calculated how much flour needed to make gravy and it wasn’t worth messing with substitutes.

I made chaffles as hamburger buns today. Loved it!! I haven’t had a bun with my burger for a long time. My husband loved it as well. The kids even tried and said “it wasn’t discussing”.

(Bob M) #116

Kids are tough.

(PSackmann) #117

I use cream cheese and cream for my sausage gravy, it comes out delicious and very filling. Also very easy.

Oh my gosh I have one of those! I haven’t used it since my son was little. Here we go again! I’m pulling that thing out tonight! :slight_smile:

Ditto. My hang up is when foods or recipes are named after the original dish they are imitating. Like zucchini noodle recipes being called “spaghetti.” Or how my ex-boyfriend (a vegan!) would shop for “Chik’n Nuggets” made from soy. That was very frustrating and seemed somehow hypocritical.

Talk about a fat bomb with the cream, cream cheese, and sausage.

That’d have to be an OMAD meal for sure! A deliciously delicious meal.