Chaffles

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #61

Thank you, they were!

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #62

Croutons! What a great idea!

(Steve) #63

Vegetable Chaffles
I used sauteed mushrooms and broccoli for this one.
A little butter in the waffle iron, add the veg, close the lid and cook for a couple of minutes.

Pour in the egg/cheese mixture with a little salt & pepper.

I cooked this one for 7 minutes

Veg chaffle with an old cheddar/jalapeno sodium citrate cheese sauce

(Steve) #64

Sodium Citrate Cheese Sauce
For those of you that have never tried the sodium citrate cheese sauce, here is how I do a basic sauce.
Sodium citrate will turn hard cheese into a silky smooth cheese sauce similar to the old Velveeta cheese. It’s great for pouring over eggs, meats vegetables and as a nacho dip too. I purchased an 8 ounce package from Amazon (5.99) a year ago and still haven’t put a dent in it. This is my go to last minute really fast sauce. I measured this for the first time as I normally just eye the amounts.

One ounce of extra old aged cheddar and One ounce of jalapeno jack cheese sliced.
3/4 ounce of water.
1/2 tsp sodium citrate.
I put the above ingredients into a saucepan and turned up the heat while stirring constantly. We cook on an induction cook top for fast high heat. This sauce from turning on the burner to being finished took a total of 90 seconds for a smooth creamy sauce.
Add water or liquid as necessary to keep it creamy.
You can also use different liquids, spices, herbs and peppers to flavor the sauce.

I served this cheese sauce on broccoli/mushroom chaffles

That’s exactly what I did. Not dissimilar from the idea presented earlier in the thread where you start with cheese then add the egg atop that and then another layer of cheese. The crispy outside is my favorite part so I may continue that process. Just have to get the timing and volume right.

What’s the approximate size of the pan you were using?

(Steve) #67

8” egg pan.

(Kristen Ann) #68

I’m thinking about using an air fryer to make chaffle croutons… Making soup now, so I will test the croutons tonight!

(Tammy) #69

Thanks, for this post. It got me to try chaffles for lunch today. They made the perfect sandwich. Gave my husband, who is not Keto but is more consciousness of his about his carbs these day, a bite and he loved it. Fortunately, it was super easy to whip up a second chaffle.

(Steve) #70

We also thought that we could serve chaffles to non Keto company.

(Steve) #71

We made avocado chaffles for the first time, yummy! Next time they would be really good served with a fresh salsa and a dollop of thick sour cream. We will definitely make them again.

I added a little Parmesan cheese to the iron on the left for extra crunch.

For some reason they really puffed up extra high, maybe I beat the eggs a little more?

I made one for my “breakfast” just now. Standard cheddar and egg mix and had a sausage patty and some more cheddar to make it better. :laughing:

I listened to a 2KD episode in which the recipe was chicken parmesan. I may try to make some chaffles with mozzarella and Italian seasonings for a chicken parm sandwich later this week.

(Will knit for bacon. ) #73

I bought a Dash mini waffle maker today. First I made Oreo chaffles with whipped cream. They tasted like a Suzy-Q! Now I’m making a couple of basic ones using cheddar cheese. My plan is to stick them in the fridge until tomorrow morning and then crisp them back up in the waffle iron and have an egg and cheese sandwich.

To heck with mug cakes, this thing is awesome.

(Ashley) #74

Oreos?

(Will knit for bacon. ) #75

(Susan) #76

That looks amazing; have bookmarked that, thanks @Marlitharn

(Ashley) #77

I’ll have to try it sometime :slight_smile: not doing much sweetener these days but on a rare day I’ll try it :slight_smile:

(Susan) #78

I haven’t used sweetener since early June myself; either, but I have been making recipes that call for it and just omitting it and it has been fine. I guess because my taste buds have adjusted? I might try adding a tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter instead though… will change the taste a tad but might be yummy =).

(Ashley) #79

Sausage and gravy chaffle from earlier today!

yummm

(Susan) #80

Such an adorable doggy, he is very photogenic and seems to love being in the pictures =)… and smiling for them all =).