Chaffles

(Steve) #41

I use three different waffle irons that we have had hanging around over the years, the square regular, sandwich and the mini.I can also make two chaffles at once on the square iron which is handy.
I like the square one for burgers, dogs, sandwiches, pizza etc…
It holds hot dogs and sausage nicely too. I guess it’s personal preference for heat, size and shape. My square iron is 650 watts and the mini is only 350 watts.

(Bob M) #42

That looks great. What a good idea.

(Steve) #43

Bob you have to try the chaffles for your kids sandwiches

@Jamboribs

(Replying here instead of the food trilogy thread.)

I used your measures as my starting point and have been working up from there at equal ratio.

I have this panini press/grill/griddle with waffle plates, which make four deep Belgian waffles 4.25” x 3.5”. How large are your waffles?

(Steve) #45

It’s 4x41/2 but very shallow as you can see from an above picture

(Bob M) #46

We tried it this morning. We have a 1000 watt, 7+ inch round waffle maker. I had to double the recipe. The waffle maker has a temperature control from 1-5. I used about 4 and my wife used a little higher. We both did around 7 minutes. We cut the disk in half and made sandwiches. Mine was sliced baked ham, heated in butter, with cheese, tomatoes, mustard. I also had a similar “sandwich”, without the chaffel. I like the chaffel and think it made for easier pick up. My wife made a BLT:

We asked the kids if they wanted to try one, and of course they said “no”. We will continue to experiment and see if we can get them to like a sandwich with them.

(Steve) #47

Outstanding Bob. Maybe start them on pizza?

You know… just when I decided in my head that I was going to fast the rest of the day… you say “pizza.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Never mind. I don’t have pepperoni.

Wait… I do have pesto, mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms and bacon though! Maybe I’ll just do 16:8.

Hahaha! Kids are funny creatures. My son (now 22) wouldn’t even say “no.” He would just look at me with a special look on his face, staring at me as if to say “seriously, Mom? Um, no, no way.”

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #50

I made my first Chaffle yesterday. I did the very basic recipe. I agree - Game Changer!! I can’t wait to do more experimenting!

(Steve) #51

Nice, show and tell please

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #52

Blueberry Chaffles! Worked out very well (except I made my syrup too sweet!) I am sold on Chaffles!

Here’s the recipe I used (though I tweaked it slightly - I powdered my cheese and used 1T plus 2 t Almond flour and 1t coconut flour)

(Susan) #53

The cheapest of these waffle makers I can find on Amazon.ca are still like $30 so I will ask for one for my bday in November, I cannot risk spending that much atm, but I will ask for a present =).

(Kristen Ann) #54

You might be able to find one at Goodwill if you’re in the states!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #55

Try a thrift store, usually some there. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Steve) #56

I have seen them at the thrift store for $5 Canadian

(Steve) #57

Wow, they look delicious
Thanks

(Susan) #58

Okay, thanks everyone I will check at Good Will in the fall if I can get a ride there =).

While I was making meatballs, I thought they would make a perfect Chaffle sammich!

For four waffles, I used three eggs, 1-1/2 cups of mozzarella, 1/2 T of almond flour, 1/2 T of flaxmeal, garlic and onion powders, oregano, parsley and basil. Mad scientist.

Set it on medium heat, let it go for about 8 minutes then turned it up to high for 2 minutes. (Mine has low, medium, high, and sear as the temp settings.) they looked done but were too soft so I sprinkled a little mozz under them and on top and let the cheese brown. I think for the meatballs, this was a good choice. They were very crunchy on the outside, like a toasted meatball hoagie roll.

It was yummy!

(Steve) #60

That’s a great idea! So I gather you let them cook until they will lift up or peel off then sprinkle cheese underneath and on top. Close the lid and crisp it up?
Brilliant! I think I will try that for my croutons too. I make a chaffle then cut them into crouton size, fry them in a good olive oil and garlic salt, the cheese will help for the extra crisp. I’m still experimenting on this one.
Float them on chicken vegetable bone broth soup or use them in salads if you don’t eat them all while cooling. Thanks