Chaffles

(Steve) #21

Too floppy, it might be the heat as the mini waffle makers are only 350 watts. How about going a little longer and resting on a rack to steam the chaffle out before moving into the topping step? It looks like a lot of cinnamon, pretty powerful stuff. I’m going to give this recipe a go when I get a chance.

(Steve) #22

I noticed that our current eggs are very large and overfill the waffle maker so I have a new method for making chaffles to make the measurements more accurate.
I’m using a 4" square waffle iron which runs on 650 watts. The mini is only 350 watts, a big difference. The 4" iron will be my control for testing.
Chaffle Recipe by Weight
2 net carbs per chaffle
38 grams of beaten egg
30 grams of mozzarella cheese shredded
Pour the mixture into the preheated waffle iron.

I have found that 8 minutes on this particular iron is perfect for a golden crisp firm crust but still bread like and fluffy on the inside. It will hold up to a good sandwich or burger. I rest them on a rack or T-pee style for a minute so they don’t steam out and get floppy, Just like when you bought french fries from the chip shop and brought them home, opened the box and they were limp.
I go 7 minutes for a more delicate chaffle when using them for eggs Benedict. Tacos are the same 7 minutes so I can get the perfect bend and hold them together with a wooden skewer after they are filled. I’ll get some pictures next time.

Let me show you how firm the chaffles are and how they hold up with this recipe and style of making them.
The lazy way of firming them up but I recommend a baking rack.

This is very moist meatloaf in two plain chaffles with all the wet fixings.

I also go 7 minutes when I make a batch for the freezer, just pop into the toaster. Yeah… I found a use for the old girl.

I am drooling at the idea of a meatloaf sandwich.

I have a Cuisinart panini press with removable plates. I bought the waffle plates last week. I am doing this today.

Couldn’t wait.

I tried two versions.
Cheese then egg then cheese.
Mixture of cheese and egg.

I weighed out using the measures given by @OgreZed for both. This is going to be a quest to find what method works best for my waffle maker, with which ingredients, at what temperature, etc. so it was a great place to start.

The Cheese-egg-cheese came out crispier on the outside but I clearly had the temp up way too high and burned the cheese. Though, I admit I love some burnt cheese. So that’s not a problem for me personally.

The mixture version came out with a nice crispy, good looking cook/finish on one side but the other wasn’t as crispy, totally due to other variables I have to figure out.

My waffle size requires a little more mixture to reach the top iron so one side didn’t get as toasty as the other. Both versions tasted great and both held shape and neither were floppy at all.

Here are photos of the results and a delicious mayo BLT. Even though imperfect, this was a tasty success. GAME CHANGER.

(Steve) #25

Nice job!
You will just have to figure out what temperature is best for your iron. As for the egg/cheese mixture bump it up but not too much or it gets messy. For my waffle iron 38 grams of beaten egg and 30 grams of shredded mozzarella is perfect. 7-8 minutes cook time.
I place a bowl on the scale press tare.
Add egg to 38 grams then press tare.
Add 30 grams of cheese. So fast and simple as I have a bunch of cheese in a container in the fridge beside some pourable egg mixture.
I bet you nail it in the next go.

(Jane Srygley) #26

I tried a sweet chocolate chaffle as my first one. It turned out pretty good texture-wise, but you could definitely taste the mozzarella and that just didn’t mix well with the sweetness… so my next one will be a pizza chaffle :slight_smile:

(Steve) #27

Here is my Eggs Benedict Chaffle with a lemon dill hollandaise sauce. It was outstanding. We are still full from breakfast and will skip dinner tonight.

(Steve) #28

That’s pizza Friday for us. I make the chaffle then load it up and hit it in the oven with some good heat.

Here’s a chocolate chaffle recipe that subs cream cheese for the mozzarella. Haven’t tried it yet, but will report back soon!

Please take pics!

(Steve) #31

This chaffle will be a lot softer with the cream cheese. I think I’ll give it a go minus the ice cream. Thanks

I like using cheddar with either bacon or sausage in the middle.

I used some mozzarella last night and had a pit of pesto and ricotta as the filling. It was good, I probably will season the mixture with garlic, salt, and Italian seasoning next time.

That sounds delicious!

I ended up adding some mozzarella cheese to the outside to make this one crispy. Worked great! Made ice cream sandwiches with homemade keto ice cream.

(Kristen Ann) #35

This thread might have changed my life. It’s hard to say for sure because I’m recovering from a cold and my taste buds aren’t cooperating. But I can say the texture was lovely at least!

Man, I am totally hooked on the glazed doughnut version with my morning coffee. It IS life changing…

The cost of chaffles

I was putting together a grocery delivery order for Walmart, trying to decide how many eggs and how much cheese I’ll be needing in the next few weeks (or month).

• Four 18-packs of eggs = $5.68
  • Four 1-pound bags of Finely Shredded Italian Blend Cheese = $10.24
  • One 1-pound bag of Finely Shredded Mozzarella = $2.56

I won’t use them all for chaffles, but that would be enough eggs for 128 chaffles, and enough cheese for 112 chaffles. And I’m getting a lot of sliced cheeses for other things. :)

In the end, I figure the cost is about $0.16 per chaffle. Each is about 5 times the cost and 3 times the calories of a slice of plain old white bread.

I hope I did all my math right. :)

(Steve) #38

It’s totally worth it, cost and calories! 128 chaffles and there is so much you can do with them.
Nice job
White bread is killer sugar carbage, never again.

(Steve) #39

I modified my Pizza Chaffle last night with great results. My wife said it was the best pizza since starting keto a year ago. We have made so many fathead crusts, mug bread, cauliflower and oat fiber crusts in various forms. We both agreed this fast simple chaffle was the most satisfying.

Pizza Chaffle
38 grams beaten egg
30 grams mozzarella cheese
Pour into the preheated waffle iron, cook for 8 minutes
Rest cooked chaffle for a few minutes on a baking rack to steam out and firm up.
Precook/saute toppings (You want them quite warm as it won’t be in the oven too long)

Add homemade keto pizza sauce

Load on the warm toppings in mixed layers (I nuked the topping plate just before loading)

I cooked these pizza chaffles at 400 for 8 minutes then turned the broiler on for one minute

Just curious why the waffle shape for sandwiches. I see the dash mini maker comes as a griddle in addition to the waffle style. I think I need one, wondering which to get. Thanks!