Chaffles

(Jane Reed) #576

Another YouTuber is Serious Keto, who has many chaffle recipe in video. He also has a recent vid for stuffing chaffles which looks promising. The chaffles were finely chopped, wetted with chicken broth then baked. Worth trying once I get all the ingredients assembled. To me, stuffing isn’t stuffing without celery, but a bunch would go to waste after the use of only a couple stalks. Curious, how an ingredient is indispensable in one dish but unwelcome in any other.

(Jane) #577

I agree stuffing must have celery. But celery make a great support for stuffing with cream cheese, pimento cheese or chicken salad so wouldn’t go to waste at my house!

(back and doublin' down) #578

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. By about the 200th message, I was on Amazon. Those little waffle irons are now $15. Will be here Friday, experiments planned for Saturday.

And how I have I missed pimento cheese as a keto friendly food?!?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #579

Make sure an check the label, many are not. Look our for seed oils, like in cheap mayo. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jane) #580

I make my own mayo from olive oil and grate some sharp cheddar, add a sprinkle of onion powder and chopped pimentos and voila- pimento cheese!

(Jane) #581

And baked Lavash bread as crackers make a great vehicle for pimento cheese!

This dip is wonderful as a spread to put on a chaffle:

https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Marketside-Jalapeno-Artichoke-Dip-16-oz/803856854

Especially with a slice of tomato and/or a slice of roast beef or pastrami.

(Bob M) #583

That uses soybean oil. It’s unclear how much PUFA you’re getting, though.

I made a batch of egg loaf the other day, so I decided to try some of the batter in my Dash Mini Waffle maker. Delicious.

• 8 eggs
  • 8 ounces of cream cheese
  • 4 ounces of butter (a stick)
  • Various flavorings – Vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, sweetener, …

My first attempt didn’t go well. My usual chaffle is layered – 10 grams shredded cheese + 25 grams beaten egg + 10 grams shredded cheese. I don’t typically do batters. So I put 45 grams of my egg loaf batter (a relatively thin batter) in the waffle maker. It overflowed all over the place and made a terrible mess.

About 35 grams of batter worked best. Because I didn’t layer the cheese top and bottom, the egg loaf chaffles were very soft and fluffy. I actually liked them better than the egg loafs I made, because the waffle texture was an improvement.

But it’s much easier to make a batch of egg loafs, than to make one chaffle at a time. :slight_smile:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #585

I love this idea!

I’m a ‘batter-er’ rather than a ‘layer-er’, because I love the white-bread texture and neutral non-egg, non-cheese flavour I get from the resulting chaffles - and I like the idea of these little loaf-lets/muffins!

I don’t have a mini waffle maker (the Dash isn’t available in UK) - so I use a standard 2-waffle gadget - which actually means I can make a sandwich-worth in one go.

(traci simpson) #586

I’m confused. You take the ingredients below

• 8 eggs
  • 8 ounces of cream cheese
  • 4 ounces of butter (a stick)
  • Various flavorings – Vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, sweetener
    and bake them?

Yup. I just throw all those ingredients in my blender and blend them together. Then, for egg loaf, I divvy the batter up between my silicon molds. They rise up like souffles or Dutch babies, but quickly deflate after coming out of the oven. I tried some of the batter in my Dash Mini-Waffle maker.

It’s really just the recipe for cream cheese pancakes except butter is added. I usually do my cream cheese pancakes in the microwave:

Microwaved “Big Bowl of Custard” (based on cream cheese pancakes)

Ingredients :

• 3 Eggs
  • 3 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • EZ-Sweetz as needed

Directions :

• Blend all ingredients together (I use a Magic Bullet)
  • Pour into a microwave bowl
  • Microwave for 60 seconds, stir, 60 seconds, stir, 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until mixture is set.
  • Top with whipped topping, fruit, or syrup (as if they were pancakes).

(Steve) #588

White Bread Chaffles
This is our new go to for chaffles, super easy and no egg or cheese taste. They are great for eggs benedict, grilled cheese and burgers. We pour the batter out of a measuring cup onto the hot iron, after they poof up like a real waffle and the steam stops it’s ready. The sweetener is optional.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #589

Question: mayo is basically egg and oil. Have you tried adding more egg, and oil, instead of mayo? Or it would not work this way?

(Steve) #590

Mini Chaffle Irons
For those of you looking for a mini iron there is a great Black Friday deal on right now at Kohls.com for a final price of $2.14 after the mail in rebate of $14.00
Free delivery on orders over $25 so I bought two. There is a limit of 5 per household.
I’m in Florida

(Steve) #591

Just add a little more cream cheese or Greek yogurt, it is so forgiving.
I’ll try it tomorrow

(Full Metal KETO AF) #592

I’m in California, no Toastmaster waffle irons on the Kohl’s website. In fact the link leads to stores not web shopping. Maybe that’s the problem. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Steve) #593

Another option is Bed Bath & Beyond, they sell the dash for $9.99 and I used a 20% off coupon.
Still a great deal for 8 bucks

(Daisy) #594

I tried the baffle recipe a couple times last week (bacon, egg and collagen powder). The first time, I was in love! The second day it actually made me super super nauseous seconds after eating it.
So, then we tried chaffles yesterday. One plain with mozzarella, one with a harder cheese, and one glazed donut. My daughters thought all 3 were absolutely gross lol. I have to watch mozzarella, so I preferred the hard cheese and only took a tiny nibble of the donut one, as I try to avoid sweetener. It was eh.
I would really like to make a garlicky one, as I have this expensive garlic butter from Sams and I’d LOVE to have a grilled cheese sandwich.
I have a regular waffle maker that I’ve been using, but we had bought the girls a couple minis for Christmas a few weeks ago (before I ever saw this post). I just looked and they’re the dash minis! :joy: so after Christmas I will have 2 at my disposal lol

(Steve) #595

David, Does this Kohls link work for you?

Kohls Black Friday mini waffle iron - $16.14 with a $14 rebate.
Order two for free shipping, I can’t see why they wouldn’t ship to California?

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3779506/toastmaster-mini-waffle-maker.jsp?prdPV=4

Here is the $14.00 rebate form. You can buy up to five with the final price at $2.15 each.
https://www.kohls.com/rebates/11.28toastmaster14.pdf.pdf