Chaffles

(KCKO, KCFO) #536

Bob, Did you mean A2 milk? I haven’t seen anything on K milk.

I don’t drink milk, only use it occasionally in cooking when cream is too much for a dish. Never liked it, not intolerant or anything I just prefer cheeses to liquid milk. Yogurt is a staple in my diet as well.

(Bob M) #537

Sorry, A2 milk. That’s what I get for responding while trying to do many things over the weekend.

One could make cheese from A2 milk. If you’ve done any research into this, though, it gets confusing. Which cows actually have A2 milk? And what happens to those proteins for cheese?

Like you, for dairy, I eat cheese and some yogurt. I try to avoid yogurt, as I always overeat it. It’s like dessert. I have been eating it lately, though. I have cream in my coffee (when I’m not fasting) and sour cream. That’s about it for dairy.

The problem I have is that people say “dairy”, but don’t say what they mean by that, which makes the word useless. Similarly, people say they get “inflammation” from dairy, but then never say what that “inflammation” is or how they know it’s from dairy. So, dairy often gets maligned, for reasons I’m not sure are actually the fault of dairy.

Oh. My. This looks amazing.

I have not tried chaffles yet. I keep reading about the recipes!

(Steve) #539

Thank you, It is really easy to make a simple hollandaise sauce.
Chaffles are fun too with so many variations, try it.

(Susan) #540

I am doing dairy free until the end of November (perhaps past this but atm I am still going to use butter but no other dairy). Soooo what I am wondering is, is there any Chaffle recipe that is dairy free?

I was wondering about mixing an egg, some butter, a bit of almond flour and baking powder? I made Chaffles with 3 tablespoons of almond flour one day and I really didn’t care for it, but if I use less maybe it will be okay. I have always used cheese making them, so looking to substitute the butter for it, will that work?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #541

If it’s from casein I think it manifests as skin issues most commonly. Eczema, psoriasis, dandruff, dry flaky skin on the head, (cheeks, nose, scalp line, eye sockets), joint inflammation etc. gut issues.

If it’s lactose gastrointestinal issues are most common. And most people know because of obvious reactions when they eat too much or the relief when not eating it. If I overdo it I am in the casein sensitivity group. I can tolerate a 2-3 oz of cheese but drinking milk brings it on! If I overindulge in Cheese for a while it happens too. :cowboy_hat_face:

If I use HWC in anything I’m two pounds heavier the next day. I stay away from it the next day and the two pounds disappear. I consider that inflammation. I also get a certain puffiness whenever I consume dairy. I went gluten free in 2013, haven’t had beans or legumes since 2016 and did Whole30/paleo off and on for two years before I started Keto a few months ago. I know dairy causes inflammation in me due to process of elimination. I still eat cheese but it’s the next thing to go.

This is from the creators of Whole30 and there’s more detail in their book It Starts with Food.

*I’m not pushing Whole30 on anyone but I do Keto with a heavy Whole30/paleo influence. I try to limit my consumption of anything that comes in a package or can, I don’t touch soy or carageeanan and I wouldn’t eat a Vienna sausage if you put a gun to my head.

(Bob M) #543

@David_Stilley That’s the main thing I’ve heard, too, casein. I must not be sensitive, as I have none of those issues.

@scoakley13 I also tried Whole 30, and that’s how I decided that hot peppers or other hot foods cause me instant allergic symptoms. I don’t weigh myself, so I wouldn’t know about that. I alternate between using cream in my coffee and not using it, and can’t tell a difference (other than cream makes coffee taste better).

(KCKO, KCFO) #544

@ogreZed posted this recipe above, butter and egg but not dairy milk, even water works in it.

Ingredients:

• 1 scoop (30g) protein powder
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
  • liquid (water, almond milk, flax milk) to thin out the batter

(Susan) #545

OKay, thanks, I have no idea what protein powder is though, does it have any artificial sweeteners or carbs? Can I omit it from the recipe maybe?

I did have MCT powder from Amazon when I first started Keto but it was flavoured, and had some artificial sweetener in it, and I don’t eat those.

(KCKO, KCFO) #546

I like to use soy protein powder from Bob’s Red Mill, via Amazon, can’t find it locally anymore. Just isolated soy protein and soy lecithin. You can use plain unflavored whey protein, but if it is the whey you are trying to avoid that isn’t a good choice. Not sure what your reason for getting off dairy is about, so do which ever sounds better for what you are trying to do.

You can find protein powder almost anywhere – health food stores, Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. Just be sure it has no carbs, or as few carbs as you can find.

I use the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder. I’ve enjoyed the Dutch Chocolate, Cookies and Cream, and Banana Cream, and use the unflavored for breads and biscuits and pizza crusts and such.

If you’re going dairy free, you can replace the butter with coconut oil.
MCT powder would be fats, not proteins, so you could even substitute it for the butter.

(Susan) #548

@collaroygal

Quite a few people feel that the reason I haven’t been losing any weight, (with no cheats, and even doing a lot of fasting) might be because of dairy, so I am avoiding it for now and also beginning a different protocol for eating on Monday. I still have over 100 pounds to lose, so trying all suggestions is all =). Thanks for the information about the powder =).

@OgreZed

I had MCT powder but it had artificial sweeteners, so I had to stop using that, as I stopped using them all in June. I will look up the Isopure kind, thanks for the information =).

(Jane) #549

I made the ones with 3 Tbl almond flour and my husband liked it better. I didn’t.

And I also thought about cutting the almond flour in half as an experiment. If you do, let me know how it turns out.

(Susan) #550

I will try tomorrow for lunch and let you know =).

(Elizabeth ) #551

I ran out of cheese, so I made chaffles with almond flour, but I think it was less than 3 tablespoons. Maybe you could also add some garlic or something? I added chocolate to one of mine. :grin:

(Susan) #552

I am doing dairy free for now (except still allowing butter at this point), so no chocolate, but I will try your idea tomorrow, thanks Elizabeth.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #553

Getting ahead with tomorrow’s lunches! Soft breadlike chaffles with chopped salami/lettuce/mayo mix spread on each ‘slice of bread’, sliced Gouda in between and then sandwiched together.

Do I have to wait until lunchtime?

(Wendy) #554

I have heard to try 1 oz of Mayonnaise, with the egg and Mozz. Well it was really Good! Seemed to tone down the eggy taste! Benefits: adds more fat to the meal!
Will probably use mayo from now on!!

(Susan) #555

I made Chaffles today (2 large ones, with my new Waffle maker that is the round kind with 4 sections). I used for the two:

2 large eggs
2 tbspns almond flour
1 teaspon baking soda
2 tablespoons butter

They were okay, but next time I am going to omit the egg yolks and try it with some Avocado Mayonnaise.

I am doing dairy free until the end of November except for butter, so I wanted to find a recipe not using cheese, or the protein powder (as I don’t have any of it and I looked it up and it is really expensive so I am trying to avoid the added expense).