Chaffles

(Susan) #387

Yesterday for my lunch I made 3 fried eggs, 6 pieces of bacon, and 2 Chaffles that I cut up to use as my “toast” for the eggs. It was a delicious lunch, I really enjoyed it, and I am not a fan of eggs in general, but I prefer them fried to scrambled.

(Bob M) #388

I’ll give that a go. This might fly with the 12 year old, but the 9 year old is tough. She’s addicted to fruit. And she’s too smart for her own good. :wink:

I keep having one chaffle per day on the weekend, to make a sandwich for my breakfast/lunch, around 10-11am. I have had to dial back the amount of eggs/cheese for my large maker (about 7 inches wide), used 70+55 I think. That helped limit boil-over, which creates some oily looking substance that gets under the maker.

Due to painting and working all day long on the weekends, I haven’t had time to do anything but this modification.

(Steve) #389

Bob, Our youngest only ate frozen bagged vegetables until she was 12. If they thawed she wouldn’t eat them, they had to be rock hard. Talk about awkward around company pouring frosty peas onto her plate… lol
How about trying a blueberry or strawberry chaffle for your 9 year old with some chocolate mousse or whipped cream on top, no kid could turn that down?

(Steve) #390

How are your chaffle supplies holding up, you must be ready for a restock?

(Jane) #391

Good Lord, I don’t need another kitchen appliance :expressionless: but I have room and I found a little red Dash waffle maker at Target for $9.99 so I ordered it to pick up after work.

I’ve been using my regular 8" waffle maker and not totally happy with the results. One egg is not enough and you get large holes or it cooks too crisp and 2 eggs they are too thick. Mine is the Belgium style with the large pockets.

That’s what I get for surfing food and chaffle threads while fasting! :rofl: I’ll be eating again by the time I get home to try it out.

The cheese is holding up fine, but as of yesterday, I have two more 18-packs of eggs in the fridge. A lot more expensive this time. The price has gone from $0.08 to $0.13 per egg. Nobody had them on sale this week either.

I did fill my shaker cup with 8 eggs yesterday, for use as chaffles.

And, it does use up 8 eggs when I make egg loaf. I plan to do a batch again sometime this week.

(Jane) #393

I am going to try @OgreZed’s method of setting my Dash on my digital scale and scrambling a few eggs at a time and keep them in the fridge. My hens lay variable sizes of eggs, so I alway weigh one egg and proportion to cheese but I won’t have to if I use his method.

(Steve) #394

Maybe try beating up a few eggs, store in a shaker bottle or empty water bottle. Pour on what you need to cover the iron divots, it works great. As you know eggs really vary in size.
Personally I use the scale all of the time for a perfect consistent chaffle

The 10g + 25g + 10g combination works great for the Dash mini-waffle maker.

From time to time, I get 30g or more of the eggs. That’s when I get a mess, when it overflows out of the waffle iron and onto the scale. So, now, if I get too much, I cut back on the top cheese just a bit.

One time when I was weighing while breaking the eggs into the shaker cup, they were giving me between 47g and 52g per egg, overall average of 8 eggs was 50g each on the nose.

But it only gave me about 14+ chaffles, because some of the beaten eggs stays on the side of the shaker cup. And I tend to get just over 25g of eggs in each chaffle. It never really fully covers the waffle iron surface, but more than that is too much. In any case, everything fluffs up nicely.

I sometimes put a tablespoon or two of coconut flour or protein powder into the mixture of 6-8 eggs. But then I have to shake and tamp down the sides, multiple times, to get everything mixed up well. Otherwise, the powder tends to clump up or cling to the sides of the cup. Coconut/Almond milk or HWC could be added to use the same amount of eggs for more chaffles.

(KCKO, KCFO) #396

Tried the protein powder variation without cheese, worked great. Really more of a true waffle. I added some cinammon and vanilla extract to the batter. Thanks for the idea. We eat tons of cheese and DH wants to cut back on it, he is starting to have some stomach issues. These really did the job.

(Wendy) #397

What kind of protein powder do you use? I look at the label’s and most have some “secret” sugar ingredient.
Please give me some suggestions. Thank you

(KCKO, KCFO) #398

We use Bob’s Red Mill whey protein powder, no hidden sugars, only sugar is 1 g per serve because it is made from milk.
https://www.bobsredmill.com/whey-protein-concentrate.html

(Wendy) #399

Thank you! I have seen that one at the store. I will pick some up and try it out. My husband isnt crazy about the eggy taste of the Chaffles. So this might be a good chance to try something different.

(Jane) #400

Since it is a 3-hr round trip to the nearest Target from where I live… I plugged my little Dash maker in to make sure it heats up and shuts off while I am still in Ft Worth. It did.

That little thing is so CUTE! I can’t wait to make some chaffles topped with butter, cream cheese and everything bagel sprinkles. I don’t miss bread and sandwiches all that much, but I really miss having a loaded bagel in the mornings! And it was the butter and cream cheese I enjoyed so much but I still need something “bread-like” to hold it and chaffles do the trick.

(Diane) #401

Me too!

I just got my dash waffle maker (the only one I could find has a pumpkin embossed on one side, but I don’t mind. I probably won’t break it in until this weekend.

The everything bagel substitute sounds like a winner for my first foray. :blush:

(KCKO, KCFO) #402

If you add a bit of almond flour to the basic chaffle cheese and egg, it will be less eggy. Just a tablespoon of the almond flour should help. Depending on your egg you might need a drop or two of extra water when adding the flour.

(Failed) #403

Has anyone tried the Dash griddle for these? It looks the same as the waffle iron, but the plates are smooth.

I use the Dash griddle mainly to cook eggs now, and it does make decent buns too. But I find I prefer the waffle chaffle because the nooks and crannies are what makes it super crispy.

(Failed) #405

Thanks, I wondered if being flat would change the crunch-factor.

You could:

1. use only egg white instead of whole egg (seriously reduces the egginess),

2. add a spoonful of almond meal, and/or

3. use a cheesier-tasting cheese, or a mixture, rather than plain mozzarella - the end effect will be a more cheesy-toast taste.