4 slices bacon, chopped in chunky bits
½ c onion, chopped
1 T garlic, chopped

(mix together spices)
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp cayenne (or less if you don’t like spicy)

Prepare

Line frying pan with bacon. Top with chopped zucchini. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until zucchini is soft and bacon crispy. Place cooked bacon and zucchini in blender. Blend until smooth. In reserved liquid, sauté onion and garlic. Add spices and form into paste. Place zucchini mixture back into pan and simmer until thick, like a refried bean consistency. (approx 30 minutes)

I threw in some shredded cheddar (out of Jack chs) when done for creaminess. If you try it, I hope you will find it enjoyable like I did. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #366

I just looked at this as I was curious as to what a chaffle was. I’m glad I looked :joy:

New to Keto - Aims and Early Approach
(Wendy) #368

I introduced Chaffles to my grand kids. Now they are giving me ideas!! Funny looks like I’ve got them hooked! :smiley:

(Steve) #369

How about ordering online and having it delivered to the store?
Amazon, E bay, Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart (not sure if they are Australia?

(Steve) #371

I have 3 waffle irons. A double square iron for savory (my favorite iron). A triangular sandwich iron for sweet chaffles and a mini that I don’t use much.
Chaffles aren’t going away on the Keto diet so I highly recommend a quality iron if it’s in the budget.
Hopefully a big burger/sandwich corporation will catch on to the chaffle craze and offer it at the counter as a gluten free low carb choice. A commercial ‘bun shaped’ waffle iron could crank them out in no time.

(Kristen Ann) #372

There are mini waffle-bowl irons! This would be great for chaffle tacos and a bazillion other things!

I’m poor right now, so can someone buy this so I can live vicariously through you??!

(Steve) #373

Wow that’s really cool with a ton of ideas!
Again some big corporation should pick up the idea and fly with it. Hello Chipotle?

(KCKO, KCFO) #374

:joy::rofl::joy:

I could see a waffle bowl full of fried chicken made from that thing.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #375

Am SO IMPRESSED with your waffle iron count!

I’m very pleased with mine - just over 20 quid on Amazon, and I’m glad it makes oblong ones as they fit my lunchbox perfectly!

(John) #376

Went to the local Target store yesterday and got one of the Dash mini-makers for $10. Picked up some finely shredded mozzarella on sale at the grocers on the way home.

So today I made my first Chaffles! They fluff up a lot more than I thought - one egg plus 2 tbsp of cheese is a bit more than needed for a single 4" chaffle.

I also made one with a little almond flour mixed in. Also good.

Anyway - turned out really great! Light and fluffy, very waffle-like in taste and texture. I just ate them with some butter. You’d think they’d taste like a cheese omelet, but nope.

I can see a couple of these making a perfect grab-and-go breakfast, with very little clean up needed.

Glad I skipped breakfast today! I am all chaffled up now. I ended up making 4 of the things. Seems like 1 egg, 2 tbsp grated mozzarella, and 1 tbsp almond flour makes enough batter for two of the little 4" chaffles that the Dash makes. Using a whole egg for one ends up with it being really big and puffy and pushing the lid open.

I had the first two just with a little butter. The last two, I thin-sliced one strawberry each, and topped with a little whipped cream (actually store-bought almond topping). Felt like I was having a huge cheat meal, but very low carb overall, maybe 3 or 4g total.

Yes I think that’s the general recipe for two of the small waffles. Otherwise it’ll squish out all over the place. I think @Momof5 may have some experience with this. :wink:

(Susan) #378

Yes!! The first time I made them it was very messy!

(Wendy) #380

My first shot making Chaffle- Pizza!!
I will make it agian!!:stuck_out_tongue:

(Edith) #381

I make chaffle pizza for my girls and they like having it cold in their lunch.

(Wendy) #382

Just Love all the choices! Such a great bread substitute!

(Susan) #383

That looks very yummy, Wendy =).

(Wendy) #384

Thanks! Was pleasantly surprised how good they turned out. I tried the Cauliflower crust,and yuck. Was a mushy mess. So this was Great! Love the Avocado sandwich also!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #385

No pic, but we had cheese on chaffle when we got back from yoga tonight - grilled to perfection - even nicer than actual cheese on toast!

I think what we Brits call ‘cheese on toast’ is what is known as ‘grilled cheese’ in the US - anyway, with a chaffle as the non-toast substrate it’s flipping yummy.

(John) #386

These things are stupidly good. I am still experimenting with different ingredient combos. I whisked up two eggs, 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella, 1 tbsp almond flour. I made 3 mini-chaffles with that but I should have portioned it out into four. They puff up more than I tend to expect. Great quick and easy breakfast. Only hassle with the mini-maker is waiting in between each one.