Chaffles

(Doug) #324

Holy ****, OgreZed, that looks good.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #325

Just made and wrapped these for our lunch tomorrow. Can’t wait!

UPDATE: The batter for this batch was unusually thick, and having just tidied the kitchen I’ve realised why - I’d grabbed the tub of xantham gum instead of baking powder! Assumed at the time I’d simply measured out too much cheese - should’ve realised when I found I needed to spread the batter out with the back of a spoon, rather than just letting it flow!

They look pretty good regardless - I’ll report back tomorrow if they’re awful/incredible/about the same! My first batch of chaffles had gum in them and they were okay, so we’ll see…

:rofl:

(Susan) #326

Those look delicious.

(John) #327

I am gonna have to try this out.

My local Target sells the little Dash mini waffle makers for $10.

(Carol) #328

@Sharon_E I love peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! :heart_eyes:

@TimeForMe I made the churros and took them to pilates to celebrate a couple of birthdays. Everyone is so health conscientious and they were a hit even though they were no longer warm. l froze the leftovers and reheated in toaster oven and it worked very well. I’ve been to the Low Carb site and their FB page - unbelievable what everyone is coming up with! I’ve made the “wonder bread” recipe and it works well for sandwiches.

I have read posts that people are actually doing this!

I’m trying to pace myself on chaffles. These can be addictive and I want to make sure I get a variety of nutrient-rich food but my imagination is running wild - almost everything seems to work as a chaffle. They are so easy and a great way to use up bits of leftovers.

That’s awesome! I’m so glad you shared that. It’s nice to know how the other people like our Keto food!

(Carol) #330

Yes, especially since a lot of people hear “keto” and think butter and bacon fat. At Christmas a friend and I host a luncheon and this year I’m going keto. A nice chicken/pesto/tomato/cheese entree with an everything-in-it-salad and a garlic/cheese chaffle. Outside of one 84 y/o woman who does keto, no one will know it’s all keto until we tell them. :laughing:

(Mame) #331

So going by the pictures I think we might have the same size waffle maker. May I ask how much egg you are (both) using?

My first couple of tries I did not have enough egg, the chaffle was all holes. I had success yesterday but it took two eggs! Which made it uber filling, very hard to eat two for a sandwich.
It tasted fine but did not thrill me.

I am using duck eggs which may also make a difference…much less white to them…

Had leftover hot Italian sausage so I sliced it thin and stir fried it with peppers, onions and a little marinara, stacked it on top of a chaffle and sprinkled with mozzarella.

(Having trouble posting to the What did you eat/Trilogy thread so this is a Chaffle thread exclusive!) hehe

(KCKO, KCFO) #333

Hey Guys, thanks for this idea, we always have whey protein powder around but we often run out of Mozzarella cheese.

I weighed one, 15g, and then eyeballed the other…i think I have to pour more egg but I’m scared it will overflow as it bakes. I’ll have to test again and prepare for a messy kitchen :wink:
Mine came out thin, crispy though, but in no way sandwichy like others’…

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #335

One egg per chaffle, for this batch. The whole batter had four eggs.

When I’ve used three it’s been fine, but it means if I want to put mayonnaise in the sandwiches the holes in the chaffles make for a rather too messy eating experience!

(Bob M) #336

I made an egg and cheese sandwich for my daughter…who did not like it. But my wife ate it. I find the small maker to not get that hot and too much is added with the 30/38 g recipe. It puffs up too much. So, I may have to adjust this downward.

I still use the big maker, as it gets a lot hotter, and you make enough for a sandwich with one go. I do eat this, but limit them to one (large one, two small) per day to avoid too much cheese. And the only time I make them is over the weekend, anyway.

(Steve) #337

I use the 30/38 ratio in my large double waffle iron and sandwich iron. The smaller Mini Dash is 20 grams cheese and 25 grams egg. You can either try the crispy method 10 grams cheese on the iron first then the egg and top with the remaining cheese or simply mix it all together. Some people blend it all up with a stick mixer too for a smooth constancy.
Bob, have you tried using cream cheese in the chaffle, it’s really good!

(Mame) #338

wow did this happen to me yesterday! I was determined for it to be hole free, mission accomplished. LOL

it surely does!

so yesterday we had seafood chowder and I made plain egg/romano chaffles to eat with the chowder. I used 2 chicken eggs and accidentally added more cheese. There was some overflow/wastage.

…but the taste was just all right to me. (my wife liked it a lot)

I don’t have dry mozzarella to use at this moment…other cheeses to use up…I would have thought that using a cheese I like for a savory application would make them yummy, but romano (which I love) does not seem to be working for me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #339

This is starting to look like a record thread, 336 posts already and everyone full of new ideas daily. :joy::rofl::joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

These are the savory flavored ones we used for bison burgers, done on a George Foreman with waffle plates, we cut them in two and had nice flavorful bread for our bison burgers. These can get addictive, I’m a recovering breadaddict :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #340

Hi Steve, I have not tried any of that yet. Over the past weekend, I made my daughter the egg sandwich with the little maker and my own chaffle with the large maker. We have been painting and doing other housework, so I haven’t been able to do any testing.

In the past, I used the cheese/egg/cheese method on the large maker, and it was almost too crisp, if that’s a thing. :grinning: I’ll test with the small maker, maybe this weekend. We’re trying to get the whole family going low carb, which means the kids need something they like to eat. It’s been a struggle just to get them to add cheese to eggs (with or without a “sandwich”), let alone meat or even chaffles. The younger they are, the more it seems like “I haven’t seen that before, so I refuse to even try it” is prevalent.

If I find something that works for the small (aka “cute”) model, I’ll report back. I’ll try cream cheese too.

(Steve) #341

Try this for the kids:
2 ounces cream cheese
Beaten egg
1 Tbsp almond flour
Splash of vanilla or 2 tsp coco powder
1 - 2 tsp sweetener
Mix it all together and pour on to a hot oiled iron
Top with butter and cinnamon if you like?
It looks like this.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #342

I was worried that I would find chaffles either too eggy or too cheesy. But it seems the cheese deletes the egginess and the eggs delete the cheesiness!

I blend the batter - there is no sign of cheese in my chaffles, and the texture is very breadlike. Try your kids with this (makes enough for four standard-sized waffles):

4 eggs
8 dessertspoons grated mozzarella
Half a tsp baking powder
A knob of butter
(All whizzed with a stick blender)

I did something similar yesterday when I was stuck in the 'burbs wanting some breakfast, so I got a Burger King croissant sandwich and dumped the croissant. Good thing I had two chaffles in my purse!

When I’m on the road, I always carry extra chaffles.