Chaffles

(Mary) #303

Thanks @buxomlass - we’re traveling, however, and arrived in Australia 7 weeks ago with 2 backpacks. No GF grills or jaffa makers or panini presses :grinning:. I bought the waffle maker that @ChrisW recommended and it works just fine, plus it won’t break my heart to pass it along to another mad keto chaffle maker when we head to NZ (or the UK or wherever).

(Elizabeth ) #304

I love this thread! Going to try the cleaning tips - the grease struggle is real.

(Steve) #305

Brushing the waffle divots with coconut oil makes it a little more crispy. Pour in just enough beaten egg to cover the divots. They look really good! Oh and if you want them really crispy rest them on a baking rack while still hot to blow off the hot steam.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it :slight_smile:

(Kristen Ann) #307

I made chaffle crab cakes. They were amazing, no picture bc they just looked like thick chaffles. Crab meat, pork rinds, almond flour, parm, old bay, egg, mayo, Worcester sauce, and yellow mustard powder.

(Steve) #308

What a great idea, I never thought of that! Maybe served with a spicy aioli

(Kristen Ann) #309

Yeah the first time I made them I put a garlic mayo on them. The second time, I made a tiny bit of crab dip to top them, then put mozzarella on top of the crab dip, broiled and dusted with old bay. It tasted like crab bread from MD.

(Steve) #310

I’m putting this on my chaffle list
Thanks

(Susan) #311

I used Avocado cooking spray that I bought at Costco and this works well too; totally Keto so all good.

(PJ) #312

The smoke point of MCT oil is 320. Does anybody know the max heat of a waffle maker? I would like to add a little, along with the jack (I don’t use mozz, as jack is higher oil and lower carb) for more moisture in the chaffle esp. if I’m adding some kind of meal/spice to the mix.

(Will knit for bacon. ) #313

I’m experimenting with making thin and crispy cheddar chaffles to scoop up my chili. My first two are still a little chewy in the middle but I think I’ve nailed it with the third and fourth one. The trick seems to be use half the usual batter and leave them in the iron extra long.

I use pre-shredded cheddar and whirl it around in my food chopper for a bit so it’s like coarse crumbs. I get a smoother batter that way and the chaffles come out nice and crispy.

(Diane) #314

It can depend on the brand of waffle maker and some have variable temperature settings.

(Steve) #315

Have you tried oiling the iron before pouring the mixture in and resting the chaffles on a baking rack to steam them out?

(Will knit for bacon. ) #316

I do cool them on a rack. I haven’t tried greasing the iron. I’ll play with it and see what happens. The ones I made are pretty good, with bonus pockets to hold the chili.

(KCKO, KCFO) #317

Now I know what all the fuss is about. Did chaffles, using a double recipe on my George Foreman grill with the big waffle plates. Made them savory to go with bison burgers they were really good. I’ll be doing more of those in both savory and sweet versions.

Liked them even better than keto buns which we had been doing for burgers, so much quicker to do and they come out perfect sometimes the keto buns have a gummy center, ok when toasted but still no perfect.

Learned they can be made in a skillet on the stove if you don’t want the waffle pattern or just prefer round breads to square ones, like a traditional waffle maker does them.

(Doug) #319

Wow, this thread really took off… :star_struck:

Some waffle irons go over 400F. I wouldn’t generally use MCT oil for cooking anyway, and would certainly be very leery of using it on a waffle iron. Safer to go with solid coconut oil which has a lot more lauric acid and therefore a higher smoke point.

(KCKO, KCFO) #321

The George Foreman grill that I used says to cook waffles at 450F for 8 mins. I would certainly not be adding any oils to it especially one with that low of a smoke point.

I would think other waffle irons would be heating to around that temp too, @Rightnow

(PJ) #322

Thanks you guys. I don’t normally get MCT near anything hot, but put it in stuff where I can. The 320 smoke points was much higher than I expected for it, which just got me wondering about the temp of the waffle irons. I did figure it might exceed that, sounds like it definitely does.

Someone on Reddit posted their version of a McChaffle – two McDoubles, without buns, put inside a pair of chaffles:

713 votes and 98 comments so far on Reddit

Sounds like something someone should suggest to corporate? Anyone going to be bringing along chaffles when they go out for fast food? :slight_smile: