Chaffles

(Bob M) #282

I hate to say this, but I think the amount of cheese I’m eating with chaffles is getting to me. I will likely limit my chaffle intake, as it’s too much cheese at times. That’s why I rarely eat Fat Head Pizza, as it’s cheese to which you add more cheese. Similarly, for me, chaffles are cheese and then I add more cheese. I went from eating small amounts of cheese per week to a lot more with chaffles. I’ll do more testing, but alas, my initial exuberance about chaffles might have to be tempered due to the effects of cheese.

(Kristen Ann) #283

I’ve had to lay off the chaffles for several days now because the eggs were getting to me. Eggs are inflammatory for me…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #284

I haven’t made Chaffles but I have an immune sensitivity to casein above a certain threshold I start getting inflammation on my skin, psoriasis rears it’s ugly head and makes my head ugly too!

:cowboy_hat_face:

So just make a waffle, using something else in place of the cheese. I would think almost any “muffin-in-a-minute” batter could be baked in the waffle maker.

For example, Keto Connect has a protein powder waffle:

Ingredients:

• 1 scoop (30g) protein powder
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
  • liquid (water, almond milk, flax milk) to thin out the batter

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #286

Just made tomorrow’s lunchtime sandwich chaffles - they are crazy yellow compared to today’s, so I wondered where I’d gone wrong.

Then I remembered I’d used the eggs from her hens that my mum gave me this morning.

So I hadn’t gone wrong at all - I’d gone right!

(Polly) #287

Fresh mozzarella has been working OK for me. I have been using a stick blender to combine the egg and mozzarella which gives a good batter for cooking.

That’s good news! I was worried it would be soggy. Cooling it off before stacking and wrapping probably key, right? The sandwiches look refreshing and light somehow. Hurray for mayo! :slight_smile:
Thank you for the update!

Not sure if it’s quicker but it may be easier.
While still warm, take a soapy wet sponge and wipe the whole thing from the center and just push all the goop off the sides onto the counter. Then wipe it down with a clean wet towel For me, it’s much easier to clean the counter.

Or you could do the same thing with paper towels under the edges to catch the stuff. I used to do this with my George Foreman grill. Way easier than scrubbing it after everything has dried on there.

(Belinda Conklin) #290

I make them in a sandwich press to be more a sandwich substitute. Works great :blush:

I just mix everything. No whizzing.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #292

@jeanbar Happy forum anniversary! :smiley:

I joined r/chaffles, I bookmarked this topic and I’m making chaffles this weekend!! It will be a rainy weekend, perfect for experimentation :slight_smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #294

Yesterday I made a chancake, because I don’t have a waffle iron. It wasn’t pretty, but I could see it working out with some tweaking. Letting it cool on a rack seems to be key.

(Steve) #295

Very Crispy Chaffle Burger Buns

1. Preheat your greased iron I use a silicone brush to get the oil into the waffle divots.
  2. Measure out 30 grams of shredded cheese or a half cup and sprinkle on the bottom iron plate. I have been grating a block low moisture mozzarella (pizza cheese) and keeping it in a Tupperware container for fast chaffles.
  3. Pour on 38 grams of beaten egg, enough to cover the waffle divots. I beat up enough eggs that I will use in two days and store it in an empty water bottle for easy pouring. You can also use egg whites to cut down on the eggy taste. (38 grams is perfect for my iron, you will have to work out what is the right amount for you own iron. One whole egg weighs 60 grams which is to much for my iron.)
    4 Cook for 7 minutes All waffle irons are different on time! To be consistent and produce a perfect chaffle every time, measure your ingredients and time how long it takes. For my double waffle iron, 7 minutes is perfect.
    5 Steam out your chaffle to crisp it up When the chaffle comes out of the waffle iron rest it on a bakers rack to get rid of the hot steam and to crisp it up. Start another batch and so on.
  4. Serve with the cheesy crisp side out and the softer side next to the burger

This is a basic crispy burger recipe and it can be built on as you advance in chaffle making. The key to a crispy chaffle is to lightly grease the iron, all of the cheese on the bottom plate, egg on top and steam out and rest the chaffle to firm up.

(Susan) #296

Thanks for posting this, Steve!! I cut/pasted this to a wordpad note for my Keto folder on my desktop! I am sure many of us will find this very handy!

(Steve) #297

Thanks Susan
I really like the simplicity on this basic recipe, egg in a pourable bottle and cheese in a Tupperware for a quick chaffle. That’s great that the kids are interested… maybe they will want to branch out to experiment?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #298

Double-decker bacon chaffles with creamy mushrooms. Heaven!

Cooked 6 rashers of bacon, chopped them and stirred them into the chaffle batter just before cooking. Mushroom mix is just mushrooms, butter and cream.

It’s probably too late an answer, but I just use a George Foreman grill (that I already have) rather than a dedicated waffle maker. Not as pretty an outcome, but works just fine. I know other Aussie low-carbers who simply use their old jaffle-makers or panini presses.

(Steve) #301

What is a jaffle maker? I wondered about the George Foreman grill, glad that it works even though it’s not pretty.

My first chaffles :slight_smile: learned two things: 1. brush with coconut oil between rounds and 2. get that other, harder mozzarella.
I think I need to put more egg and I just remembered I have some unflavored whey protein powder that I can use to try Ketoconnect’s protein powder ones…