Chaffles

(Susan) #262

Happy Forum Anniversary, Mary =).

(Susan) #263

That looks delicious, I love avocado.

That’s what I’m thinking… although I never have any left over!

I have added some fat (butter for sweet or bacon fat for savory) and beef gelatin to get that crunchy fried taste. Egg whites do reduce the eggy taste.

Best results with: egg, cheese, coconut flour, baking powder, beef gelatin, salt, a pinch of xanthum gum, butter/fat, onion and garlic powder or vanilla and stevia. Mix everything together. Tried to add the cheese separately, but it just made a mess and burned. This mixture is an even dark gold. Have used a Dash and a full size waffle maker. The Dash is crispier.

Sounds complicated but pretty fast. And they are consistently crunchy on the outside without being dense or eggy.

(MooBoom) #266

Ok folks, what are your top tips for cleaning your waffle makers? Mine is a beast with deep waffle wells, and huge ‘teeth’.

I was painstakingly wiping it down, but sometimes the pools of grease and residue just get shoved around.

So I experimented, and the most effective way I’ve found to clean it is to pre-heat fully, turn it off (at power point too and unplug) then gently add warm water. It froths and bubbles and lifts most of the residue away. Wait until it cools enough to be able to scrub with a toothbrush, then carefully tip the water into the sink and wipe down thoroughly with paper towel. Sometimes I’ll quickly heat it a bit to evaporate any water remaining.

If anyone has a quicker method I am all ears! Cleaning the waffle maker is proving to be a bit of a PITA.

(Susan) #267

Thanks for the tip of reheating it, that is great, Monique.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #268

@MooBoom White Vinegar cuts grease and loosens crust. You could try that with your current way, maybe it will be easier. Let it soak a bit. :cowboy_hat_face:

(MooBoom) #269

Legend!!! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Thank you kindly :blush:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #270

@TimeForMe here’s an update - it’s just past breakfast time and I’ve just taken the Chaffle sandwiches out of the fridge to pack for our lunches.

Turns out that the top one in the stack keeps its size waaaaaay better than the squashed one underneath!

Slight lack of common sense was happening when I put them in the fridge yesterday afternoon!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(MooBoom) #271

Easier to eat :rofl:

(Steve) #272

Beef gelatin, I’m going to have to try it. Do you whiz everything up or just stir and pour on by weight?

Can I use grated cheddar? Otherwise what mozzarella exactly do people buy in the UK?

(Steve) #274

Absolutely, cheddar gets nice and crispy and has good flavour
Try all kinds of cheese to see which ones you like best. I can’t help with what mozzarella to buy in the UK but I would start with a pizza mozzarella to see how you like it.

(Diane) #275

Fresh mozzarella has a lot more moisture than the firmer “blocks” I get here in the states. I don’t think it would work very well.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #276

I use ready-grated from Waitrose. Works a treat!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #277

Verdict for @TimeForMe: a little drier than the ones I’ve eaten immediately, but not unpleasantly so! Besides, that’s what all the mayonnaise is for…

Update: Mr S obviously liked his too:

Thanks for that. Will use cheddar. I actually always grate a big slab when I buy it as I seem to use grated more than anything else.
So just made some. Worked fine mixing together. Everybody decided they wanted my chaffles (having taken the mickey out of me for buying a waffle maker!) So by the time it got to my own they were a lot better looking!! But mine took about 15 mins to cook so not a quick process.
But OMG it was delicious and so filling. Had it with bacon, a cheese slice and just cooked liver pate.

So could I make a load and keep them in the cupboard/fridge/freezer to cut down on time?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #280

Based on today I like them ‘just made’ better than stored, but it was definitely acceptable to make them the day before to take to work. I think I’ll stick to working just a day in advance rather than stockpiling - mind you they’d be nice warmed up back in the waffle maker!

Thanks