Chaffles

(Bob M) #221

Here’s one for $30 in the US:

Three times the cost of the waffle maker, though!

Also, if you buy a transformer, you need to get one that will handle 350 watts, which is a fairly high amount of wattage.

('Jackie P') #222

:confused: just ordered the one I was thinking about in the first place. I hope I like these ruddy chaffles!
I will be able to return the adapter at least@

(Becky) #223

Well when it rains it pours…today was a rainy day, dishwasher broke, washing machine went out, dropped my huge crockpot and it smashed into a bazillion pieces…but as they say, every cloud has a silver lining!! My silver lining comes in the form of a perfectly working waffle iron…I ate chaffles while my handy hubby handled the other :poop: :rofl::rofl:

What a cool idea. You could add sage to make it taste more like stuffing. Mmmm

(Carol) #225

Curiosity got the better of me and I jumped on the chaffle wagon - these things are talked about everywhere I look.

So for chick-flick-keto-snack Friday I decided to surprise my friend (and me) with a variety of chaffles. This little thing is a hoot. Here’s what I’ve tried so far: basic chaffle, bagel type with cream cheese, cinnamon with icing, chocolate with chips, peanut butter with dill pickles and two different styles of pizza (the best one has the toppings on top and put under the broiler). I can’t remember when I’ve had so much fun with a kitchen appliance.

Chaffle on. :yum:

(Tessa) #226

What recipe did you use for the cinnamon and icing chaffle? I’ve been wanting to make that exact flavor combo.

(Carol) #227

@KetoGal01 I used this one:
Cinnamon Chaffle
• 1/2 cup mozzarella
• 1 egg
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tbsp almond flour
• Sprinkle of cinnamon (or to your liking-I bet I used a tsp for one chaffle)
• Mix together and cook until chaffles are crispy. – Tiffany Y.
The icing was the standard one I see often:
Equal amounts of cream cheese and keto powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla.

The sweetest thing I’ve had in a year is Mio so this was a real treat. Hope you enjoy!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #228

We really enjoyed our lunch today - the waffle maker arrived this week, and we’d saved Project Chaffle for Saturday lunchtime.

Mix for 2 standard chaffles was 2 eggs, 1 dsp ground almonds and quarter of a tsp xantham gum. Each savoury one also had 1 dsp grated mozzarella on each side - so that was 4 dsp for 2 chaffles.

Another chaffle for pudding. This one omitted the mozzarella but included a tsp of Splenda, then served with lemon and Splenda, just like on Pancake Day.

TBH the pudding one was a bit eggy - I’m out of vanilla extract but next time I’ll add some to the mix. Still delicious, though! New-to-keto Mr S is in chaffle heaven!

I guess the pudding one didn’t count as a chaffle, given the lack of cheese. Will probably do the mozzarella thing with sweet ones next time!

(Steve) #229

Nice job on the chaffles!
How about using beaten egg whites to cut down on the eggy taste?
We also use extract oils like these for flavoring.

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

Dang, it really was Friday the 13th for you!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #232

Ooooh what a lovely selection! It did cross my mind to add some flavouring (well, vanilla) - I have orange extract and caramel extract in the larder - but it didn’t occur to me to use those, as I was too busy being cross that I haven’t replaced my vanilla!

I reckon orange with a tsp of cacao would make an AMAZING orange chocochaffle… watch this space!

Thanks for the egg white tip! Other thing I want to try in the mix is baking powder so they don’t go so floppy. I liked the xantham gum and smidge of ground almonds, though - they gave it a lovely doughiness like Yorkshire pudding - perhaps not altogether desirable in a waffle, but (coughs) I don’t remember ever having an actual waffle before, so that doesn’t matter a jot!

(Becky) #233

@Sharon_E
Well now it all makes sense lol I didn’t realize it was Friday the 13th lol. Good news is the washer is fixed, my mother in law had a spare slow cooker and the chaffles were delicious! I can always wash dishes by hand for now lol.
I’m so incredibly cheap I refuse to buy another one right now.

I have made sandwich chaffles with Belgium waffle iron, but my old “thin waffles iron” makes pretty great tiny chaffle pizzas

Hey Chafflers!

I wanted to share this recipe with y’all. If you end up having any extra Chaffles sitting around and want to give this a try, I’d love to know how it turns out! (I’m fasting this weekend or else I’d happily do it!)

Note: only okay for those good with sweeteners!

(Steve) #236

I made something very similar to this last week and it turned out great. I used coconut oil on the iron plate too for extra crisp.
A keeper for sure!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #237

Wow, I’d love to try this, but I fear I’d struggle with this bit:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Susan) #238

I am glad that you got the washing machine fixed (the times I have had mine broken in the past was a night mare with 5 kids, and mine and hubby’s laundry) and awesome that your mother in law came to the rescue with the slow cooker. I have almost always washed all my dishes by hand all 29 years of marriage.

The first 3 years we lived in 2 diff apartments without them (they are much more common to have them now then they were back then) then the first house we bought had one included but it broke after about a year, and we never bothered repairing or replacing it (because money wise we didn’t want to, budget wise) and then this house we bought 21 years ago, same thing, was included but when it broke I took it out and scrapped it but the space is still open all these years later… and I am so used to doing them by hand that I probably will never get another one.

Chaffles are amazing though, aren’t they? So awesome and versatile.

(Bob M) #239

I just made some pizza chaffles. Made one, put it in a wire rack over a sheet pan, made the second, added to the wire rack. Added cheese to both, put in 425 F oven (fan on) two minutes, took out, added sauce then cheese for one, same but also pepperoni for the other, three minutes more. I liked them, the kids did you, my wife thought the sauce could be improved (Sclafani marinara).

(Mary) #240

Australians, where do you get your waffle irons? The whole chaffle thing has exploded since we’ve been here (not that I could’ve brought mine with me from Canada :blush:) and I’m desperate to make them, but can’t find an iron for less than $100 (the little Target cheapies are sold out everywhere).