Chaffles

(Mame) #484

I know! it doesn’t really make any sense to me but since I was not getting good-tasting chaffles before I wanted to report accurately :rofl:

We’ll see this weekend if it was a fluke or if it can be replicated…

(Failed) #485

I made chaffles for the first time, a big batch of 12, yesterday. After the first few overflows from putting too much batter, I discovered that if I wait several seconds before closing the lid, the edges set up just a bit and that mostly eliminates the overflow, unless you really overfilled the bottom.

Some of the larger models do. Mine is a Cuisinart panini press that has plates for a panini, flat griddle, and waffles. I pop them off and rinse off a couple times but eventually throw them in the dishwasher.

I just made my favorite Chaffle yet. (I used the little Dash waffle maker since I was experimenting.) I wrote this down though just in case I liked it. The Chaffle itself has the pepperoni inside so it could be eaten by itself, maybe even dipped in marinara! (Darn it, I didn’t even think about that at the time! Phooey!)

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 slices Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Provolone
  • 1 egg (only used half for one chaffle)
  • 1 slice deli-sliced sandwich pepperoni (these are almost as big as a provolone slice but could probably use regular pepperoni)
  • Dash of Italian dried spices
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Dash of onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. almond flour

DIRECTIONS

1. Heated up the waffle maker.
  2. Mixed the whole egg with the spices and beat it until completely mixed.
  3. Laid a whole slice of provolone down onto the waffle maker.
  4. Poured about 1/4 of the egg mix on top of the cheese and let it spread out.
  5. Laid a slice of the big pepperoni on top of the egg.
  6. Poured another 1/4 of the egg mix on top of that.
  7. Laid another slice of provolone on top and closed the lid.
  8. It was done when it was done steaming.

I cut it in half to make it into a sandwich. I put more pepperoni and some mustard inside. (Next time, I’ll do pepperoni, a little cheese, and dip it in marinara!) Be warned, this was very crispy, but didn’t taste at all like it had egg in it. I could have let it go a little less time to make it softer but I like it crispy.

I may try some other full slices of cheese to see how the different types work out.

I’m also cooking for one, though it is pretty big. It makes four waffles. I typically only use two of the wells for the waffles and the other two, I’ll sometimes put whatever I’m putting in my chaffle sandwich to heat it up… rotisserie chicken, ham, deli meats, brisket, etc. (Only stuff that’s already cooked through of course.)

(KCKO, KCFO) #491

Posted this in the keto in the wild thread, had it for breakfast at a restaurant this AM.

(Steve) #495

Hollandaise sauce is so easy to make… You can do it.

(Jane) #496

I tried these this morning and also the traditional chaffles with cheese and egg. I added a pinch of baking soda and almond flour to the cheese version.

My husband liked the cheese-less one better and I liked the cheese one myself. Spread with butter and chive cream cheese on one and butter, plain cream cheese and everything-bagel seasoning on the other

I found a Faberware with removable plates that makes 2 square waffles. They are a bit thicker and larger than those made in a Dash, but the convenience of removing them to wash is worth it. Think it came from Walmart.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #499

Cheese on toast for supper! Was making chafflewiches for our packed lunches so thought I’d make extra chaffles for our meal this evening.

JUST the right amount of crispy cheese-on-toasty chewiness… yum yum yum!

(traci simpson) #500

Picked up a waffle maker from goodwill for $6! Had an egg sandwich for lunch. Yum

(Ashley) #501

I found some chive cream cheese with very little ingredients and it’s amazing!

(Jane) #502

:grin:

Pumpkin-Cranberry Chaffles

I used the recipe for Pumpkin Bread Chaffles I gave earlier in this thread, except I increased the almond flour to three tablespoons and I added about a quarter cup of frozen cranberries (no need to thaw first; could also use fresh cranberries).

I was really hungry when my husband and I went to Sam’s yesterday evening, so I felt extra tortured by all the special holiday foods they are stocking now. But knowing I could make pumpkin-cranberry chaffles today really helped.

(Failed) #504

I made a big batch today, 10 in all. Pizza for dinner, and the rest will be for whenever.

25348420-259F-4C67-A02A-D03505D0A65E

And yes, I have two of the Dash minis. I just picked up a second one this morning at Target, they’re the only place I found around here or online that are still selling them for 10 bucks.

I won’t be able to make these this week but thought they looked good and wanted to share if anyone else has a chance to:

(Bunny) #506

You have a lot of chaffels to play with, check out this recipe! Mmmmm!

The chaffel dome architecture is interesting.

Oh my goodness that looks delicious!

(Susan) #507

I have bookmarked this, Bunny, thanks, that looks awesome. My birthday is in November and I think this would be a great idea!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #508

I’ve got into a good routine of making lunch chaffles while doing my morning chores like emptying the dishwasher, making coffee and getting breakfast sorted. These are for Mr S and me to take to work.

Looking back just a couple of weeks I’ve changed my chaffling technique massively! To start with I seemed to need a whole egg per chaffle… but now I’ve perfected my pouring technique (and started using a spoon to reach the corners - why did THAT take me so long to work out?!) these two sets of chafflewiches required only two eggs, not four!

In the picture, the cross-section of the chaffles looks really dry - trust me, they’re not! They’re like gorgeous soft bread.

(Failed) #509

Which recipe do you use?