Carnivore info please

I started to eat liver lately and I was surprised too :slight_smile: It will be so easy to go over 20g carbs on carnivore for me, not often but I love liver and at least sometimes plan to use it as meat, not some tiny extra on my egg sandwiches (though I do that too) and itā€™s only one carbier staple item of mineā€¦ And it will be perfectly fine. Carbs arenā€™t the same and an occasionally higher intake is fine for me (even if plants are included. near carnivore seems so better for me than ketoā€¦ I feel if carbs makes things not ideal but I never noticed my eggs or liver did any bad at all. in the contrary, they did good). If someone finds out they need to be stricter, that is another matter but stressing about numbers without a good reasonā€¦ I find that unnecessary.baseless stress I think.
I am with Fangs here, at least in my own case that I can experiment with: itā€™s enough to do carnivore, we donā€™t need to enforce some super low carb intake too. Animal carbs not from lactose are fine. It seems itā€™s true for me but we all should figure out what specific style is for us.

(Elizabeth ) #144

I started ZC almost 3 years ago after 2 years strict (20gm) keto. Still had about 5-6 weeks of adaptation (extreme exhaustion, cravings etc.)

(Laurie) #145

When I worked in fast food, it was explained to me this way: They canā€™t serve medium or rare patties because the long holding times allowed for too much bacteria growth. At the time, the patties could be held for 10 minutes, and the hamburgers (with bun, etc.) for another 10 minutes. So thatā€™s 20 minutes between cooking and serving.

I donā€™t know the policies for other kinds of restaurants.

Iā€™m sure the laws donā€™t apply to ground beef you cook at home. If you like it rare, go for it. Just make sure you follow safe storage and handling guidelines.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #146

Boy, can I identify with that! :rofl: They usually have to take my BP at least twice, to get a good number, lol!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #147

Not only that, but I found from a stay in London years ago that the cuts are different in Britain and the U.S. Talk about confusing! :grin:

(Scott) #148

My wife has white coat so I bought a logging BP cuff so we can back that up.

(Edith) #149

I think the idea is that if you eat a solid piece of meat, any pathogens on the surface get killed by the cooking. Ground beef is all mixed up. Surface pathogens get mixed in around due to the grinding, so you want to cook ground beef to at least medium to kill all the microbes.

There was a question about percentages earlierā€¦ Sometimes I wonder how people do this, especially under certain circumstancesā€¦
Itā€™s easy for me now as I have a smallish calorie intake, fatty protein sources and my body is fine with lots of protein and lots of fat alike. My 65-70% fat (calories) works finely. And I have this percentage as my typical food always have this percentage, it suits my taste. If I eat leaner meat, my fat percentage drops a little.
Well, I couldnā€™t care less about my fat percentages or fat grams. But I want to avoid eating very high protein especially all the time, it would be a waste in my eyes and probably a burden too. So I plan to eat fattier when I will bulk on a more active lifestyleā€¦ Itā€™s not a stressed, number enforcing thing, I just shift things and embrace added fat I pretty much avoid now. I use it if I mustā€¦ But thatā€™s a tiny amount or even zero if I want. I depend on my fatty protein sources for fat, it can provide more than enough of it.
Enforcing, for example, 75% now would make me miserable, itā€™s not natural to me so I never tried that. It doesnā€™t matter. But some poor unfortunate souls try or do force themselves into it because they read that. Itā€™s for keto, though, I donā€™t remember if I saw percentages associated with carnivore (except the 80% for therapeutical carnivore but thatā€™s another matter. the 75% or sometimes 70% is so very often pop up for non-therapeutical keto. Why people love fixed numbers even if they matter little? Generalizations too.)

Some people doesnā€™t care and some people simply feel better having a fattier diet. Surely some people love lean meat or isnā€™t get used to more fat yet so they eat less fatty than I - they shouldnā€™t overdo it but I canā€™t say a fixed percentage or grams as it doesnā€™t work that way, there are too many variables. I am sure most of us simply eat the way they like and the ratios and grams fall into place and all is well (itā€™s not like our body needs very specific grams, we have wriggle room and we should feel if we are very off). It may be not forever, see my thoughts about my hopefully glorious future when I will eat way more than I do now and may need a little conscious push. Maybe it would change automatically, who knows?

Itā€™s fine to have our grams and percentages vary a lot if that is what feels natural and right for us. My calories canā€™t stay put either and that is fine too (last week I had 2 very fine days, 2 days apartā€¦ only close to carnivore, not real ones but I do feel the benefits of pretty much dropping plants anyway. One was 1100 kcal, the other 2500, vaguely, fatty meat makes tracking even less precise as usual but that is fine too, I donā€™t need to track, I am just curious). My percentages tend to stay in their usual range due to my preferred fat content so my protein goes from barely adequate to OMG-so-high when my calories do their things. But my average is good and my more extreme numbers happen sporadically, I feel okay with high protein too, I eat as much as I want and always like my foodā€¦ So what to worry about?

Name of cutsā€¦ As far as I know, we Hungarians donā€™t even have ribeye on any name, at least I didnā€™t find it :smiley: But we have separate names for tiny special partsā€¦ But I am really not familiar with beef cuts yet. I will learn more about them later.
But if itā€™s about fowlsā€¦ Leg means only the bony foot part for us (many Hungarians LOVE that. I canā€™t imagine why. they adore it, they make a stew only from those horrible meatless things onlyā€¦). We call both the thigh and the drumstick ā€œthighā€ but if we say ā€œchicken thighā€ (just in Hungarian, of course), we more often than not envision a drumstick, not the ā€œupper highā€ that is actually the real thigh.
Well, there is a dish called pork nail stew so we do this in the opposite direction tooā€¦

(Ethan) #151

Yes. I remember one part in particular (I can only say, not write it) growing up we called translated to ā€œBishopā€™s Delightā€

(Marianne) #152

Very interesting. Itā€™s hard to beat those benefits!

I am going to researh a little more and get a sense of the things I could eat.

Thank you.

(Scott) #153

Just finished supper and for the last three days have been carnivore , doing well and carbs are around 3-4 if I have eggs or cheese . The thing is my calories are only atn1300-1400 but Iā€™m full . I donā€™t want calories to low

(Laurie) #154

Scott, I eat about the same amount, maybe even less. (Iā€™m 5ā€™6", female.) Theoretically I should eat more, but Iā€™m full too! I guess weā€™re all different.

(Scott) #155

Yes I am getting a grip on snacking . It is boredom . Driving in car would be small bag of chips or in front of tv watching sports . Cutting those out so far has made big difference . Still
Get the urge even though full , mental game

(Edith) #156

I believe that it takes a while for your body to get used to only meat. You will probably find you start eating more after the first month.

(Alex) #157

I just wanted to pop back in and give a balanced summary of the benefits/drawbacks I experienced for keto vs zerocarb. My engineer brain has been grumping at me for not presenting a balanced case.

It is certaintly impossible for me to deny the impact going zc has had on my health. I did a 30-day stint earlier in the year and despite it not going perfectly as I ate mostly aged steak and bacon so had a lot of histamine problems, I remember saying to my partner that I felt more human than I could ever remember feeling in my adult life.

FYI - even on zc if I eat too much histamine I get a headache, acid reflux, nausea, itching, brain fog and grumpiness. Taking an antihistamine helps and my body clears it within 12 hours. My histamine intolerance is tied to stress levels so Iā€™m hoping this will reduce as zc is improving my stress tolerance. In the meantime I get my locall butcher to make ground beef for me from meat thatā€™s only 1 or 2 days aged rather than the typical 2 or 3 weeks.

When I did keto, I came from doing the Autoimmune Protocol and stuck to the guidelines ( no nightshades, eggs, seeds, nuts, grains, pulses, artificial sweetners, or dairy other than butter/ghee). On non-AIP keto I experienced flareups in chronic pain/fatigue and increased neuropathy, which is unlikely to be the case unless you have autoimmune issues.

Summary of AIP Keto benefits/drawbacks (n=1).
Benefits - No more panic attacks, decreased mood swings, eliminated pms and period pain and stabilised my cycle, improved view of self, weight stabilised, improved eczema, reduced chronic pain.
Drawbacks - moderate depression and anxiety remained, intermittment weakness and dizziness, needed to manage electrolytes carefully, cravings were constant and sticking to the plan was a daily mental battle.

Summary of ZC/carnivore benefits/drawbacks (n=1).
Benefits - Less symptoms of depression, negative self-talk seems to have gone and I can easily be kind to myself, less general and social anxiety ( I donā€™t feel overwhelmed anymore and I find that I take things less personally and am less impacted by the moods of others), I can be bothered to do things even the tedious or difficult stuff (highlighted this as itā€™s been lifechanging as apathy was the most difficult symptom of depression to cope with), I have the energy to do the things, my brain fog is steadily decreasing, more restful sleep,. improvement in eczema and skin over-sensitivity is gone, and my need for additional electrolytes is greatly reduced.
Drawbacks - Transient soreness in feet/hands/arms every few days (possibly an oxalate thing? lasts about 10 seconds), excess energy (need to walk everyday or I get restless), less low histamine options to choose from.

Definitely do your own research :slight_smile: In terms of things to eat it gets simpler over time. I hated ground beef before I started but now I honestly look forward to eating it, itā€™s funny how your tastes change. But having a solid list of things you can eat and enjoy to start with is definitely helpful at the start.

Good luck going down the rabbit hole :smiley:

(Alex) #158

Itā€™s definitely a mental game at first but the voices shouting for carbs get quieter over time :slight_smile:

(Scott) #159

Thank you

(Ethan) #160

One of the biggest differences for me (and yes, I know I still eat an occasional pickle, black pepper, and avocado every month or so) was in migrainesā€”especially with an aura. For 25 years, I suffered from roughly 3-10 migraines per month that almost always began with a visual aura. This particular phenomenon is called a cortical spreading depression wave. Basically, itā€™s a wave of hyperactivity that starts in one part of the brain and spreads throughout. As the wave passes, the brain cells on the other side of it become relatively inactive. This causes some die off of brain cells. The condition is common prior to migraines and epileptic seizures and you experience it as a visual sensation, beginning as a dot than expands. In my case, the dot becomes a ā€œCā€ shape, filled with flashing lights. The shape expands and opens up until it blocks most of
my view within about 30-45 minutes before leaving my visual plane. Afterwards, inexperience terrible pain for hours or days and take medication (Celebrex) to help.

I used to get these auras about 3-10 times per month. Keto didnā€™t help it. Since going ā€œcarnivore,ā€ Iā€™ve had 1 in about 2 years

(Marianne) #161

First, thank you for your comprehensive response. I appreciate your time.

Above is exactly how I feel most of the time, although since I have been on keto, itā€™s better than it was when I was very overweight and eating lots of carbage and feeling hopeless and out of control. Itā€™s hard to get motivated to do anything, although I find if I do one thing, no matter how small, I am usually okay and move on to other things (law of inertia, I guess).

Whether I do zc or just continue with keto, I really should give up alcohol. That is proving to be another challenge.

Thanks, again! I am glad you are seeing such great benefits with your program.

(Alex) #162

Interestingly enough, knowing I needed to give up alcohol forever is one of the reasons I went carnivore. I listened to Matthew Crews on the carnivorecast and was intrigued at the possibility of reducing addictive behaviours in general.

I am suprised that it has actually helped. I had stopped drinking a while ago anyway, but now like with sugary food the cravings feel more like suggestions. It doesnā€™t feel like a constant battle, which leaves more room in my mind for the nice stuff.