Brownies seriously good enough to fool carb eaters: 666 brownies

(Steak and iron) #1

Ok so I’m not a huge fan of keto substitutions for junk but my wife is easing into this lifestyle and needs transitional foods. One thing that is required is a nice fudgey brownie. This is something I honestly believed would be impossible to replicate in a ketogenic way.

I was wrong.

So without further ado, here’s my keto friendly “666” fudge brownie recipe.

you will need:

• 6 eggs
  • 6 ounces butter (melted)
  • 6 ounces 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese (warm)
  • 2.5 ounces sifted cocoa powder
  • 5 tablespoons erythritol
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3.5 ounces baking chocolate or 85%+ dark chocolate chopped fine. I used a Lindt 90% bar
  • liquid sweetener to taste
  • 1-2tsp extract of choice (vanilla, almond, maple, etc.) [optional]

Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.

Melt butter and combine with cream cheese with hand mixer. Once well combined, add eggs and mix well. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into baking pan and level with a spatula. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. Cool before serving. I cut it into 12 brownies. Macro breakdown is as follows:

• 245 calories
  • 21g fat
  • 5g net carbs (8 total, 3 fiber)
  • 6g protein

So I made brownies and ice cream

Would it work with full fat cream cheese?

(Steak and iron) #3

I’ve done it both ways. Works great! Full-fat cream cheese curiously enough has more carbs so that’s why I didn’t use it.

(Larry Lustig) #4

Only Philadelphia brand.

How do you process the chocolate so it can be mixed?

(Steak and iron) #5

The chocolate bar remains in pieces, like chips. I just meant until all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.

(Peter Bursky) #6

Another one of those recipes that you see and know you have to try ASAP. So i did, got my ingredients ready …

… mixed it all up, lined up the baking try, poured in the mass…

… and in to the oven with it! When it came out, it looked just beautiful :grin:

and didn’t taste bad at all! :wink:

A few observations though.

1. I think the cocoa powder i’m using is … different. I noticed all recipes i make using it come out fairly stiff and heavy (i think). Might try a different brand next time.
  2. Once the stuff was all combined, i though there was a bit too much of it in the tray. Because of that, the middle seemed to be still runny when i checked after 20-25 minutes, and ended up leaving it in for almost 45 minutes before i was happy that it’s set enough, and the toothpick i was testing it with was not wet any more.
  3. point 2 leads to this one, where it tastes great, but the brownies are just a bit on a drier side. Might try half the dose next time and bake it for a shorter time.

I made it and definitely could have fit a 13x9. I ended up putting some in muffin pans.

(Steak and iron) #8

You overbaked it. Like regular brownies these are best if they’re slightly undercooked. The fats in them will set up when it cools down and make everything awesome!

(Peter Bursky) #9

Thanx for the insight! I’ll keep it in mind next time i’m doing this…
:+1:

(Peter Bursky) #10

Had another go at the brownies yesterday, first off, not sure what the difference was, but this time the mixture was a bit more runny than i remembered it from last time. I also followed @stupidrobots’ advise, and only baked the brownies for the time specified. When i took it out, it was still a bit “wiggly”, but after letting it cool down, and leaving it in the fridge over night, it has a much better consistency this time. It is definitely more moist, and it’s best served slightly heated with a bit of whipped cream on the top :grin: My better half approves of it as well! :sunglasses:

(Jim David) #11

On the topic of carbs in cream cheese. I have investigated this as I want both full fat & less carbs. The solution is 365 Cream Cheese from Whole Foods at 1 carb per 2 tablespoons (half of the carbs that Philadelphia & other brands have) & at $1.79 for 8oz, it’s a good deal! So if you ate the whole bar, that would be 8Grams of carbs instead of 16! You can get their organic version for $1 more with the same ratios. Enjoy!

(roxanna) #12

Good price! I was able to get the new Philadelphia Cream Cheese with 1 carb for $1.33 each on sale at Sam’s. I may have bought 30 packs, whose to say? I do like the lower fat one with 0 net carbs as well, but I go for price over minimal carbs :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #13

I’m just going to sit here and drool over this photo until I’m dehydrated.

(MooBoom) #14

Thank you for this, all carb loving family members were fooled and asked for the recipe!

(Dwayne Macek) #15

Just ordered my erythritol to make this. Thanks for posting!

(Tim W) #16

Holy hell these are good!

I made them today, under-baked them a hair (still ate a couple though the middle was pudding like). I put the rest back in for an extra 10 minutes then turned off the oven and let them set inside, pulled them out a few hours later to wrap up and they could not be more perfect. These are better than ANY sugar burner brownie I’ve ever eaten the cream cheese and butter together… just… damn.

I did use a full 8 oz of cream cheese, didn’t see any sense to reduce the 2 oz from what comes in the package.

Thanks for the recipe, nice work!

(MooBoom) #17

@VLC.MD

In reference to your post about stress treats- try this. I’m having a half serve right now with cream that practically needs to be carved out of the tub and am in heaven.

@stupidrobots have to thank you for this brownie recipe, it’s saved me more than once! Love it :+1:

l

(Randy) #18

Lol, I was thinking the same thing when I saw 666 brownies. Or maybe a recipe from Headbanger’s Kitchen.

(Jason) #20

I’ve made this twice now turns out like a wet greasy uncooked meringue, like a wet uncooked sponge doesn’t taste great. I followed the recipe to a t double checked it even have it twice thinking something hadn’t gone right… Any suggestions?