Bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese RECONSTRUCTED

bagel
cheese
cream
smoked
salmon

There are a variety of bagels out there…but the REAL bagels are from New York!! They are made from a yeast dough, and then boiled after being formed into a bagel shape…followed by baking in a brick oven. The result is a nice chewy texture and delicious nutty flavour, thanks to the sesame seeds.

BUT…they are ultra high in carbs. So…here’s a recipe that will give you that New York style bagel taste, chewy with sesame seed goodness, and with the classic pairing of smoked salmon with cream cheese.

By the way…this recipe is stupid easy and stupid fast. Done in ten minutes!!

First I started out with these ingredients: ground flaxseed, baking powder, extra virgin olive oil, water and an egg

I added 3 rounded tablespoons of ground flaxseed, half teaspoon baking powder, one tablespoon olive oil, 6 tablespoons water and one egg. Be careful with adding water. The ground flaxseed is a variable product. Some need more or less water. Add one tablespoon at a time until you get the consistency shown in the photo.

I greased a glass baking dish with butter

And then I transferred the batter to the dish

I used a rubber spatula to evenly spread out the batter

And then I sprinkled some sesame seeds on top

I nuked the dish in the microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes

The baked dough was then removed from the dish - I inverted in onto a cutting board

Some cream cheese was spread on top

I added some thinly sliced shallots. If you don’t have shallots, you can use chopped green onions, or sliced red onion, or even a sprinkling of onion or garlic powder instead.

I then added some capers

And then a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper

I then layered on smoked salmon slices

I rolled the whole thing into a log. At this stage, you can wrap it in plastic, and store in the fridge if you want to eat it later.

The roll was cut into wheels and placed of dish

Close up - reconstructed bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese

The perfect bite

The 'Give us this day our daily bread' thread - aka theology of keto
(Jacquie) #2

OMG, lox and bagel sushi! Yum. :grinning:

“sushi”…hey…excellent thing to name this!

Wow. Thank you. Some of you guys are amazingly inventive cooks. There’s really no need for a boring diet is there? I think my body troubles all started with bagels. I used to live around the corner from this amazing bagel shop. Like two minute walk around the corner. I’m going to try this soon. Bagel, cream cheese, onion and salmon. One of my absolutely favourite food combos.

(Bacon for the Win) #5

yes I need this too. You know what else this forum needs? The function to print recipies. You know how you go to a blog, say Nom Nom and after reading the recipe there is a printer friendly version? That’s what we need. Because I need to make damn near everything I see here.

what a great idea!!! :bulb::+1:

(eat more) #7

i so wish i was hungry right now!

Hahahahahah…a good problem to have! :wink::joy:

(Bacon for the Win) #9

can the powers that be make this happen? pleeeease? and thank you :smile:

(eat more) #10

right?
and it’s a NSV that i’m not in the kitchen making it anyway because it sounds good :blush:

edit: sesame seed bagels were my jam a lifetime ago…pre pre pre keto

@NelleG, here is the link to the “site feedback” section. Post your suggestion there. This is so that it can get funneled to the right people, and requests don’t get lost in other parts of this forum.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/site-feedback

Hope this helps! :grinning:

Yeah, same here. I’d prefer those over sliced bread.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

done. thanks for the tip.

(bulkbiker) #14

Any idea how long you would cook this is a regular oven? Assuming it would work… Don’t have a microwave but would love to try although with bacon and cream cheese (my all time favourite thing in a bagel…)

Yeah, I’ve tested this before in the oven. It takes about 12-15 minutes at 350 deg F. It’s a very forgiving batter. If you open the oven to stab it with a fork to see if it is done, you will not deflate or ruin it. If you use a glass pan to bake it in, you can lift the pan to see if the bottom is completely baked or not.

(bulkbiker) #16

Excellent many thanks for that… just need to order some flaxseed now…

(eat more) #17

?
mine looks like water not batter :sob:

Add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed. It’s a variable product…depends how fine the grind is

I’m going to adjust the recipe details to say “add as much water to get consistency in photo”. Thanks for bringing this up.

(Jessica) #20

So good! Sorry, no pic, had to eat them right away :grin: