Bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese RECONSTRUCTED

bagel
cheese
cream
smoked
salmon

(bulkbiker) #21

Can I ask what size is your dish? I just tried with double the ingredients and it didn’t rise very much (my baking powder may be a bit old…) It remained about the thickness of when I spread out the batter… great taste tho…did it in the oven at 350 F

I used the standard 9 inch square pan size.

Did the bottom of yours look like photo #8? If not, my guess is the baking powder potentially.

(bulkbiker) #23

It stuck to the glass dish I used so had to scrape it off even though I had buttered the dish well before putting the mix in…
I’ll get some fresh baking powder and give it another go…

(Jessica) #24

Idk maybe use more water? I used very fine flax seed flour and had to use 9 tablespoons to get it to a soft consistency.

Mine didn’t rise a lot, but that didn’t make it less delicious.

(bulkbiker) #25

I found I only had to use 6 with double the flaxseed after doubling all the ingredients…
@Fiorella is your batter quite wet? It looks quite stiff in the pictures… mine was wetter but still not “flowing” in the pan…

I’m going to try this recipe in my silicone donut pan!

The grind size of the flaxseed will have a huge impact on the viscosity of the final batter. The finer the grind, the thicker the paste. This is because with finer grind size, there would be more surface area to react with water.

The batter you see in my photos above did not flow at all, it had to be spread with a spatula. It was like peanut butter, but not as stiff.

Interesting…I’ve done it in a conventional oven, but the baked dough never stuck to the pan.

You need to evenly coat the sides of the dish…any glass part of the pan that does not have butter coating will stick (guaranteed) to the flaxseed bread.

(bulkbiker) #29

I did use avocado oil as we’d run out of EVOO… do you think could have made a diff?
Will give it another try when I get some more baking powder and will double butter the dish… Made a great bacon sandwich anyway…! Thanks for the help
Mark

ok - hope it turns out! Any oil should work.

(eat more) #31

@Fiorella - thanks again for posting this…i’ve made it a number of times…deconstructed (i.e. not rolled) lol
i think the flax i have is super fine…this last time i even added some almond flour to get the proper consistency (and no water)
it’s a most excellent cream cheese delivery tool with my eggs and bacon :blush:

(bulkbiker) #32

Just made the second batch wth fresh baking powder and we have risen!
Also put more butter in the pan and it didn’t stick… just cooling it now… the mix needed very little water so I added in some ground almonds as well which stiffened it up a bit. Tastes good too… this time I used some walnut oil that has been hanging around but can’t really taste the difference.
Waiting for it to cool before I get out the butter and cream cheese… might even try and slice it in half for a proper sandwich! Thanks again for the recipe and the tips.
M