Avocados - net or gross carbs?

food

(JT23) #1

Should you count net or gross carbs in an avocado? 12 grams of carbs with 10 grams dietary fiber. 12 or 2? Thanks

(Carl Keller) #2

63% of forum voters say net. 37% say gross (total).

I say net.

(Cindy) #3

Depends on you. :wink: Personally, I don’t count any veggie carbs because I stick to keto friendly ones. Cabbage, celery, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms…those the are the ones I eat the most.

Yes, I realize avocado is a fruit, but it’s NOT high in sugar and it’s good for you. Most keto experts will say to eat 1/2-1 only per day.

So I don’t count my avocado carbs at all. But then, I don’t count macros of any type…just make sure I try to eat as few carbs as possible.

(Running from stupidity) #4

Not counting them sure keeps that down, yes.

:slight_smile:

(Cindy) #5

LOL, yes, but that’s not really what I meant. :wink: I know that avocado is a high carb fruit, so I wouldn’t eat an avocado and other “higher carb” veggies in the same day. I don’t eat a lot of veggies anyway, but even if I did, I think I’d figure net carbs on those because of the fiber content and other nutritional value.

Now, for things that don’t have real nutritional value in terms of fiber, vitamins, etc, I do look at total carbs. Knowing that HWC has 1 g carb per serving, or erythritol has 1 g carb/packet, those types of things I do pay attention to.

Now you see why I don’t track macros? :smiley: I like to do my own thing too much! But it’s working…clothes are all looser.

(Running from stupidity) #6

Oh REALLY? :wink:

I don’t eat a lot of veggies anyway, but even if I did, I think I’d figure net carbs on those because of the fiber content and other nutritional value.

Yeah, exactly the same here.

But it’s working…clothes are all looser.

No distracting from the important things like macros with irrelevant piffle like that.

(Cindy) #7

Doesn’t it drive you a bit crazy? The “Oh, I’m sleeping better, joints feel better, A1C is down, off my T2D meds, losing weight, not feeling hungry…but I’m not HITTING MY MACROS! What am I doing wrong?” :smiley:

(Running from stupidity) #8

Not “a bit” as such :slight_smile:

The earlier writings of Phinney and Volek used Net Carbs (20g was the speed limit).

Where: Net Carbs= Total Carbs - fibre. All in grams.

In the yellow and green cover “The Art and Science …” book that’s what was hearing.

So you’d count that as 2 out of your budget of 20g.

But at another time - it seems they have switched to Total Carbs (as per the blue covered “The Art and Science … Performance” book - there the speed limit is 50g Total Carbs. So you’d count it as 12 out of 50.

Most of us use Net Carbs, with the 20g limit.

Hope that helps.

(New Keto Friend) #10

Eat a few avocado’s… Wait a hour of 3…or 4…measure your blood ketones… Are you in ketosis? Then it shouldn’t be a problem… I always opt for a practical solution, lol

(less is more, more or less) #11

And I say TOTAL carbs, though I agree carbs are gross, regardless. As in “Grody to the max.” for you oldsters.

Raw polling is interesting, but if you were weight the voting by the inscrutable sophistication and erudition of the polling participants, you’d surely see the numbers skew my way.

<sticks tongue at @CarlKeller>

(Carl Keller) #12

I’ve straddled both sides of the poll, but I can’t deny your inscrutable sophistication. Only you can make eating butter look perfectly posh. :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

So what am I? Chopped chicken liver? :grin:

ETA: Or is it simply that my sophistication is entirely too scrutable?

(Carl Keller) #14

No offense but when I think @Screenack, I think of butter. When I think of you, I think bacon and that can’t be a bad thing. :slight_smile:

Both of these associations stem from something you two said in some of the first posts I dove into, here in the forums. If you want to settle this butter thing with screen, I suppose we can set up some kind of butter eating contest where style matter. The cream always rises to to the top. Heck, Kerrygold might even go so far as to sponsor this

(less is more, more or less) #15

If the scrutable fits, sophisticate it? Something like that?

In such a contest, we all udderly win.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Sugar alcohols like fibre are technically carbs but are not absorbed by the digestive track. So I believe that you don’t need to count erythritol carbs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

(Damn it! Why didn’t I think of it first? :grin:)

(Carl Keller) #18

Let’s just say let the butter man win.

Apologies to the OP and his avocado thread. The dad’s are starting to show their dairy air.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Distracting puns aside, you are, of course, absolutely right. #BACONISLIFE #LIFEISBACON

(Running from stupidity) #20

I’m not asking…