August Fat Burnin'

(Jeanette Villanueva) #41

That sounds intersting. I think im gonna try this one!

(Doug) #42

Jim, thatā€™s great. :slightly_smiling_face: Throughout my life a lesson has sunk into me - that ā€œOften, the best parties are not planned ahead of time - they arise spontaneously, soaring on the particular mix of people present.ā€ I think it has some application here - hey, if one ā€œfeels itā€ or it just works out that, way, a fast can begin, for better or worse, and itā€™s usually for the better!

(betsy.rome) #43

Iā€™ve never heard of metformin knocking a person out of ketosis. - ?

(Jim Russell) #44

Iā€™ve never been much of a planner. :slight_smile: To think that just 4 months ago, I had difficulty fasting even 24 hours. Now 4 days is pretty casual.

Spontaneous fasts are pretty neat.

(Doug) #45

I hear that! Change for the better. 4 months ago I was still on ā€œthe old way.ā€ Ten days after that, diabetic for real, and thatā€™s what scared me enough to change.

I wouldnā€™t swear by it, but it seemed that way. I read Metformin could have that effect, or heard it on a podcast maybe? I did change my eating in that I had to have two meals (to take the medicine with) whether I really wanted to or not, but I kept it high fat/low carb/moderate protein. Yet I went out of ketosis, or at least to a much lower level. It wasnā€™t just that I slipped from 2 or so to 0.6 on the meter, but I also was having brain fog, low energy, and gained three pounds. I am feeling better already not taking it today, and fasting. I found an article about some possible downsides of Metformin that I posted here: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/arguments-against-metformin-and-pro-vitamin-b1-thiamine/16705/3

I think this is where I got the idea Metformin could inhibit ketosis: https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/63346-metformin-ketosis/

(Doug) #48

Metformin and ketosis - on one hand, I could see Metforminā€™s action of making some body cells more sensitive to insulin resulting in more blood sugar going to fuel those cells, causing less ketones to be needed for fuel.

On the other hand, Metformin suppresses glucose production in the liver, and reduces the amount of glucose the liver sends into the bloodstream, no?

(Sonia A.) #49

At the 24 hour mark, I put bone broth in a bowl to eat with the rest of the family. Dinner has always been a social event in my home, we talk about the dayā€¦ So I donā€™t want to disrupt that.

Migorstmarseille,
You are at the half way point for the week! How are you feeling? Are you hitting an energy hot yet? Hope today is a fantastic one for you!

Jeremy, how is your fast going? Hope you are still going strong.

While I imagine working on the road has a number of challenges it probably is a liberating time in terms of being in control of your eating patterns. Our family life is one of the greatest hurdles to making and sticking with a healthier way of approaching food. I know it has taken a lot for me to feel empowered to say no I will be fasting today. And my husband is supportive. But it still feels like you are violating some rule for eating. No thank you I donā€™t want the baked potato, or pasta, or whatever carb ladened side dish is being planned. I guess I am a people pleaser and still a member of the clean plate club that my mama raised me in.

Jim,
Great way to take charge of your week! Hope you are still going strong today.

Wednesday August 2nd here. I stopped at 62 hours yesterday and had good keto lunch and dinner. My bg is still too high but I really felt I needed a couple of meals. I plan to fast again today and will do either 36 or 42 hours before feasting again. How are you doing today? Fasting or feasting? Every day is a day of progress along your life. Enjoy it!

(jilliangordona) #55

Depends on the day, I feast and eat as much as I can to up my metabolism on weekends. I eat all three meals Wednesdays, but they tend to be smaller meals then what I eat on the weekends. And then Mondayā€™s/Fridayā€™s I only eat dinner. This is a new protocol for me so it may not be great! We shall see

Historically Iā€™ve done water/tea/coffee only fasts however as of lately Iā€™ve been having an issue of headaches which I am trying to resolveā€¦ so I think I may supplement some fat into my fast and see if that helps.

I am still an OCR noob, but I am hoping to make it a regular event in my life. I did one with little training last year and LOVED it!

(migorstmarseille) #56

Hey @irishred, thanks for asking. Iā€™m feeling really good. No hunger, though I had some mental hunger at my normal meal time day one and day two (I usually IF 20/4 or 18/6). Iā€™m not sure what an ā€œenergy hotā€ is, but yesterday I had two curious phenomena. 1) I was in my office most of the day, and found myself almost shivering cold by dayā€™s end. A little outside time in the sunshine set me back right. 2) When I got home, I had this amazing blast of what I can best describe as ā€œnervous energyā€. I spent 10-15 minutes doing suspension bodyweight exercises to failure and after that, I felt calm. Been there since then. I even drank two small cups of coffee last night about 7pm and had no problem going to sleep at 10pm.

Hi Darcy,
Yes, I agree with the right to change plans! But, yes, in all seriousness, I am amazed at just how energized I feel when fasting.
I too got knocked out of Keto when I was still adapting no less. I had far too much protein/nuts and cheese. The next day my FBG was 116. So I started a fast last Friday, then went to a sort of ā€œfat fastā€ for about a day, and then more of an egg fast for a couple ( still with some IF). Finally, yesterday I had only decaf and water (and salt and Mg!). I was thinking I should break my fast today and feast, butā€¦I feel so good, and not really hungry.
I hope your fast will pan out well for you, and try to hang in there remembering that the 3rd day is when you usually feel the energy change.
Best wishes for you!

(Jeremy Storie) #58

Iā€™m creeping up on my 72 hr mark and feeling good. Lost about 6 pounds so far. Hopefully Iā€™ll keep it off and then some with the egg fast :grin:

I wish we understood more about how it works. The dudes mentioned drinking alcohol can pause ketosis. Maybe other agents that act on the liver, such as Metformin, pause ketosis also. If I have to choose, I prefer to stay in ketosis because I feel so much healthier this way.

Thanks and all the best to you as well. Sounds like a great plan. I know, I have to watch the nuts and cheese too. Avocados are pretty high in carbs too. :persevere: Did you watch Megan Ramosā€™ talk from Ketofest? She recommends two 90-minute eating windows for her patients on eating days. I think that will be my plan between fasts. For now my fast is water and pink salt, plus a caffeine/b-vitamin sugar free energy drink called Berocca (I need caffeine to avoid headaches and canā€™t stand black coffee). I have found this helps me feel best and see blood glucose lowering sooner in the fast than if I do broth or tea.