August Fat Burnin'

Love that last bit about the counter-cultural act of NOT eating! I know just what you mean.

Otherwise, I hope you will sail through these next four days and that those BG readings will continue to “wow” you!

Thanks Helewisa! I did have another “wow” today, a 137 this afternoon. I had been hoping to get something below 140 soon - it is a little milestone. Very encouraging.

I think I’ll try for a 5 day fast starting on the night of August 17 and running through until at least the night of the 22nd, and perhaps go for 6 days and re-feed on the night of the 23rd. That will be the first night of my vacation, and then I may be back to 20:4 routine while vacationing.

I wish the chocolate shops sold ultra low carb treats! I’ll be bringing my ingredients to cook my own desserts and meals at our rental anyway, but just wishing for more options in the great big world.

(Jeremy Storie) #264

Yep, I’m 25 1/2 hrs in now and going strong. It’s not been too bad so far today.

Broke my fast last evening at around 54 hours. Today I am planning one 90 minute feeding period. I am picking my son up when they are dismissed at 11am from their first day of school and going to take him to the state fair. I checked the food vendors out last night and my plan is to have pork chop from the pork producers tent. If I want more than I think a cheeseburger minus the bun will be the follow up. And lots of water in the August heat.

(Doug) #266

Thanks, Irishred. I agree about A1C, with its effect of looking back over some months. What I would do is back way off the booze, eat less and sleep more before seeing the doctor. Probably had lower blood pressure, heart rate and blood sugar than normal. There was a real feeling of trying to get by, to evade the doctor’s authority over me, as if he actually had any.

It was like a kid, wanting to be able to continue some behavior, and aiming to put a good enough face on things that the parent won’t take action. And I had always gotten by before…

Never lost my sense of humor, though, and have had some good laughs at myself. Look in the mirror and shake my head, “You silly old bastard…”

(Jeremy Storie) #267

Just broke my fast at 46 hours. Just started feeling crappy. Figured I would listen to my body. It was saying FEED ME! :joy:

(Jim Russell) #268

36 hours in. All good so far.

Boy did I come close to breaking the fast this evening. I am trying to make it to Friday afternoon, which will be 7 days.

First of all, today I was really feeling it, having GI issues, pretty strong hunger (though it came and went), and some lightheadedness (as usual it was as my bg was dropping over a couple of hours, it went from 175 to 136 between noon and 2 PM. By the way I started the day at 176, another new record low.)

Also, today is a solemnity for us Catholics, and the priest reminded us that we should be feasting today. He jokingly told us to buy our kids ice cream, which my kids heard loud and clear! :slight_smile: They will get their treat later. I really debated if I should use this solemnity as a reason to break the fast. We were on the way to the store to get dinner stuff for the kids, and I had planned what I needed to pick up for my favorite soup. But as we drove along, I just knew I wasn’t going to break it today. I was feeling a lot better for one thing. (I had to push aside the weak feeling and be pretty active playing the organ and singing at church; when I got home my bg had gone back up to 176, maybe a cortisol thing. Might be why I was feeling less light-headed, just stabalizing at that number.)

I had a feeling that God will understand me not feasting today, same as when I fast through a Sunday. My treat to myself is keeping my blood sugars down and getting better! That, and a diet A&W cream soda. OK, I had to do a little something to participate in the feast. I am taking it day by day, hour by hour, but I am shooting for Friday. I will take my daughter to a tutoring appointment at 2:50 PM that day, and afterwards, I will break the fast. That is the end I have in mind.

(Doug) #270

Very encouraged. Doctor said, “You’re kicking ass.”

Age 58. 4 months keto with sporadic fasts:

A1C 7.3 --> 5.7

Weight loss: 52 lbs. / 23.6 kg. / 3 stone 10.

Blood pressure was 120/82, no medications the last two days.

Insect bites, etc., especially on lower legs, that did not use to heal well (symptom of high blood sugar), all healed.

Mental health: yeah, well… “Doug - can be a nice guy, but too bad about his brain…”

Let’s get serious department: Okay, whew - I was really worried about insulin resistance and my poor abused pancreas. Making real progress, so now I feel like it was not too late. The early weight loss is the easiest, and most of it was subcutaneous fat - demonstrable difference there. But wow - I am so THICK, still - long way from my backbone to my belly button. My paternal grandfather was built that way, too - don’t think he was ever actually “obese,” but he was very thick from front to back. Worst kind of fat (visceral), and I have a long way to go.

Keto and fasting seems to be having good effects; much heartened by the A1C declining to 5.7.

(Jim Russell) #271

Way to go Doug!

Yay, Doug! This is fantastic :smile:

Wow, great improvement in that A1C, (called it! lol) Great progress all around. Truly encouraging.

(Sonia A.) #274

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I’m so happy for you, Doug. You’ll see, it’s only the beginning.

(Sonia A.) #275

Yesterday, I was doing OMAD like always, but at dinner I wasn’t hungry. So I skipped dinner and today I skipped breakfast (well, it’s been 3 years since eating breakfast regularly).

Now I’m 40 hours into my fast, so I decided to continue as long as I can. It’s funny, 2 days ago I wasn’t ready for a longer fast and now it came naturally :blush:. All we can do is follow our body’s signals.

Darcy,
I believe that you are giving honor to God when you take care of the body you were given. You are doing great this week. It is cool how the bg keeps creeping down like small stair steps moving you closer to the land filled with gold and beautiful aging gemstones. Keep your eyes on the prize. Hope today is a great one!

Doug,
Got confused when you said THICK and thought you were still rambling on about your poor mind :rofl: Okay, sorry for my momentary senior lapse. You know us old people, no filters left at all.
Your results are absolutely fabulous! Seriously celebrate with an extra slice or two of :bacon: Remember you are not your grandfather. You are becoming a lean keto fighting machine that all of us little old ladies are going to be wolf whistling at! (to bad we can’t have audio emojis).

Sonia,
I am beginning to believe the natural fasts might be the best for us. Everything seems to go smoother when the body is ready.

I ended up yesterday having 2 eating periods, but chose to fast while at the fairgrounds. It was so bloody hot and humid that all I wanted to do was chug water. Luckily my son was satisfied with the carnival rides and ready to leave after only 3 hours. Today I have another all day meeting. I plan to fast but drink water and have a lovely cuppa of either hot tea with co or maybe take some broth. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

How is life treating you today Jeremy? We have to listen to our body’s cues. It is the only way to make if a realistic part of our ongoing lives. I think to be successful it is the balance we find with keto, if, and the little adjustments that make it blend into our overall lives. Have a great day today!