August 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(What The Fast?!) #221

Guys…I have a question.
I’ve been doing this ADF style fasting, usually breaking at 39-42 hours…but the thing is, when I break, I want to eat ALL THE FOOD. Like, I’m a garbage pit. I’m tracking macros and trying not to go over around 2300 calories (my maintenance calories are probably around 1600-1800, but I know it’s cool to eat a little more on feasting days).

Does this happen to anyone else? It’s like…oh, I’m eating today and I want all the foods. I might feel “full” after a meal but then I’m hungry again like 30 minutes later.

I’m keeping an eye on this because in the past, fasting has caused some disordered eating patterns for me. In the past, it’s been more like - I feel guilty for eating ANYTHING if I’m not doing a super tough workout. This time around, it feels more like a scarcity mindset - like…okay, I get to eat food today and my body is like - when will this happen again? FILL UP. EAT MORE. GIVE US THE FOODS!

(Meegan) #222

4 days in. Broke my record of 3 days. Felt terrible yesterday but increased my salt and now I feel great!

Weird thing is that I have NO hunger. I’ve never felt like this before! No food cravings. Don’t feel like eating. And unlike my earlier fasts I don’t feel like I’m going to binge when I break the fast. I’ll be straight back into keto!

You’re all so inspiring :pray:

Congrats!

I’m presently at 97 hrs., but will be breaking my fast tomorrow night at 6:00pm, for 120 hrs. (Also my first 5 day) :slight_smile:

(Jane) #224

Good job!!!

(back and doublin' down) #225

Agreed! Some strange nirvana, eh?

@Janie I think I’m learning towards keeping up a weekly 3 day fasts rather than the every 3rd day fast. I’ve noticed a rhythm of cooking for a few days, then having leftovers for a few days. Kitchen gets deep cleaned. fast. back to cooking.

I’m a bit like that I must admit! I think that’s why I suffered with the dodgy stomach after breaking fasts, I would eat too much too soon! I’ve done ADF but 24hr fast, 24hr eating in the past to lose weight, I’m not quite so bad feasting then. I don’t have a very healthy relationship with food anyway, I am all or nothing, so I think if I’m going to be like that anyway, I might as well make the ‘all’ spells shorter, & have the ‘nothing’ spells as planned fasts, at least I can maintain better. At least with keto, it’s cut out a lot of my trigger foods for eating way too much… but I’m getting a bit of a butter addiction instead!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #227

I had that for a long time. especially after longer fasts 3-5 days. The worst thing? I would not be hungry but i would still stuff my face past satiety. Until i feel horrible and need to lay down before doing anything else…

That is why I am experimenting with shorter fasts, not having snack foods around, 24 to 36h are perfect for me right now. funnily enough i am better able to keep most of the loss from the fast.

also i keep telling myself: I will not starve, I have plenty of food in the freezer should an emergency occur, no need to worry.
I feel satiated, I have enough nutrients. I can nourish myself with my reserves.

should you not feel satiated, try to switch up/ tweak your protein and fat macros. see how that makes you feel? Maybe add bulk with green veggies?

(Allie) #228

I get the same, if I go over 48 hours. This is one of the reasons I like to break fasts in the evening, I can eat then start my night time routine and go to bed with just one meal and wake up feeling fine.

(What The Fast?!) #229

Yeah I think I need to start breaking in the evening too - OMAD instead of TMAD.

I have this. It was bad enough that I stopped fasting for almost a full year even though I was loving the fasts themselves and looking and feeling great. There was just an out-of-control wanting to eat that I didn’t know what to do with.

I started fasting again this summer (one 3-5 day fast each month) and my current plan is just to keep doing that and see if my mind calms down a bit each time. I’m trying to be really careful/kind to myself in the day or two after I break the fast: preparing yummy food, taking time to eat it calmly, checking in frequently, taking care of myself in other ways. I’m ok with genuine hunger and eating whatever it takes to satiety; I just don’t like the feeling of almost bottomless desire to eat (and the bottomless feeling is odd… it’s not exactly hunger or craving, more like an emptiness, like I can’t ever get full). I figure that once I have a few more of the monthly fasts under my belt I’m going to re-start my 2x/week 24-40 hour fasts.

The other part of my plan is a bit like the Optimizing Nutrition link you posted above: I check my inches 1x/month and my goal is to maintain for the next year. If I go over a certain total, I’ll add more fasting days to get back to my maintenance number but I need to keep an eye on this post-fasting pattern and make sure it’s going in the right direction…

(Jane) #231

Well, you will get the added benefit of autophagy with 3 days in a row, which is my primary reason for my 3-day fasts. Any weight loss is just an added benefit to keep my weight off in maintenance.

Well, I finished my fast at 120 hrs. and had a bite to eat a little over an hour ago, and all’s well so far. :upside_down_face: As I said above, I actually wanted to eat something tonight and it tasted great, but my stomach said it was enough about 3/4 the way through. And it definitely knows better than me! :upside_down_face: (First 5-day fast in the books!)

Good luck to everyone still rolling along!

Wow, copied my post from the other fasting thread and I guess my head got big! Well, both from the images! :slight_smile:

(back and doublin' down) #233

Thumbs%20Up

(Jane) #234

Well done!!!

I haven’t done a 5-day fast yet so I am impressed!

That’s too funny! … Turning that up-side down is cute. :slight_smile:

I honestly don’t know how those two faces got big, and only one was turned up-side down in the other post?

@Paendora @Janie Thanks again ladies! :wink:

(Allie) #236

Well done @Digital_Dave
I remember how happy I was when I managed 120 hours as it had been my goal since I started this IF / EF journey.

(Alexia Falcone ) #237

day 4 in and feeling pretty good… I decided to go just water this time and cut out black coffee as well … I saw an interview with Jason Fung where he said that we can’t be totally certain of coffee and it’s impact on autophagy… OMG the migraine ! It lasted about 24 hours and I even threw up bile :nauseated_face:… It has since passed and I will continue on caffeine free :blush:… I will break my fast next Saturday with a bulletproof coffee and wow will that be a treat!!

(Allie) #238

I’ve just made myself a de-caff fatty coffee… so I have no idea who’s this day so going to go :joy:

Well done, 120hrs, brilliant!

(David S ) #240

ketoaid?

water and salt maybe?