August 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Jane) #181

The longest I’ve fasted is 4 days so far. I’m with you - don’t really see the benefit of longer than 5 days at one time myself. I would have a hard time fasting longer than I do now from a social standpoint.

Oh, ok. Guess I never paid attention? :slight_smile: Thanks

And yep, I too prefer to fast during the week as well. This gives me more time on the weekends, for making meals, creating recipes, etc. Plus, I only have a handful of hours in the evenings, by the time I get home.

(back and doublin' down) #183

Yep…that’s me too. Makes the work day sooo much easier when I’m not having to pack lunch or figure out what to eat.

At 51 hours and having a cup of bone broth. Since I’ve made it three days in a row now without the BPC, maybe it’s time to cut that out for awhile. I think I’m drinking more water as a result.

Also liked your comment about switching things up. I’ve been doing that all along. Keeps things interesting for me. @Janie that sauna moment sounds wonderful. Good for you doing some self care! I built a fire tonight, sat outside. Came in to a clean kitchen.

Not sure about tomorrow. Fasting means less to pack for work.

60hrs now for me… feeling a bit jittery & woke with palpitations in the night, so I’m not getting the electrolytes right. Out this morning, don’t want any stomach mis-haps, so will eat at lunchtime. 1lb off getting back to my target weight after holidays, I’ll probably throw in another 36hr fast tomorrow…

(David S ) #185

48 hours down! going for all day tomorrow as well! longest fast for me! woohoo!

Plus, by fasting during the work week, I feel better and never like the full feeling you sometimes get. I can also work the weekends better as far as switching up meal times. - Of course, most people while at work, still use the clock to dictate their eating time, and I’m not one to do this. To me, 12 Noon does not mean it’s time to eat. :slight_smile: If I do eat something during the day when not fasting, I just get something whenever I get hungry. So my lunch can be 10am, or 2 or 3pm.

60 hrs. in, but did have some leg cramping this morning. So drinking a ketoaide before getting ready for work. (I usually drink one before heading out anyway, but just up a little earlier since dogs wanted to go out.

(Frank) #187

60 hrs in with only black coffee in the am and water during the day. Lots of salt too. I woke this am not feeling hungry as much as foggy and weak. I will be breaking my fast with a bpc (insert debate) and then eating a full meal this evening. This fast was meant to be a reset for me as I’ve been on a plateau at 190ish for the past 2 months. No home brew beer this month and a 60+ hr fast will hopefully help me get rid of that last 5 pounds. I weighed in at 190.6 Monday am and 184.4 this am. Obviously some of that will come back upon refeeding but I’m hoping to at least jump start things a bit. Looking forward to the sensation of chewing food tonight and drinking some beer September 1st. #goals. Ha

(back and doublin' down) #188

Great job! you and @Digital_Dave were just the posters I needed to read this morning. Inspiring me to continue my fast. At 60 hours and facing a long work day. Thinking I can make it another 36 hours before breaking the fast.

By fasting first of the week, I only know the long term net effect because I won’t be near a scale again until next Monday. I might be disappointed to see the scale go back up and get worried about how much it goes back up when I start feasting.

@ketooahu Congrats David on your new milestone!

Lovin’ that empty yet satisfied feeling so I think I’ll KCFO!

(Frank) #189

You go girl!

(Jane) #190

Congratulations! It’s a good feeling, isn’t it?

(Jane) #191

I woke up with some cramping in my left leg this morning in spite of lots of ketoaid yesterday.

Sipping on some more this morning and added a bit of pink salt to my coffee.

KCFO!

(Jane) #192

Same here - I’ve never fasted when I am home and near a scale so I have no idea how much it drops and then bounces back - just the net effect. And I’m good with that, too!

(Central Florida Bob ) #193

FWIW, what seems to be working for me is upping my magnesium. I recently switched from 500 mg of magnesium oxide to a glycinate/lysinate chelate. These are 100mg/capsule. “They say” the oxide form is poorly absorbed, only 9 or 10%, while the chelated forms are much better absorbed. I figured even if I’m only getting 20% out of the 500, that’s still 100mg, so I’ll take 200/day. After a few days of leg cramps getting worse, I started taking a third (300mg), and it seems to be stopping the cramps.

This is in addition to 1/4 teaspoon of salt in water before bed.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #194

Oxide will have me running to the bathroom like crazy :joy::sweat_smile:, and I would not absorb it well at all since no matter how much I took, I would still cramp.

Citrate did it for me. tried the chelate but never felt much of a difference between that and citrate…

(Central Florida Bob ) #195

Yeah, that too. I was trying to figure out why I always had the runs on the day after a fast and finally tracked it to that 500 mg Magnesium, by taking half a dose. That was what made me order the new stuff. So far, so good on the new form, taking 300 on the fasting night.

(back and doublin' down) #196

I’ve been having a teaspoon or so of Calm in hot water with my potassium pill in the mornings. Y’all have me wondering if this is the best sort of magnesium supplement?

(Jane) #197

It shows to be the citrate form, so you should be good if it is working for you.

I have a bottle of the magnesium maleate I am trying - another form that is supposed to be better than the oxide. Haven’t been taking it long enough to have an opinion yet.

Thanks, Bob. I will look into that. … I think I’m going to try adding an additional extra 1/2 tbsp. of Magnesium Citrate to my evening KetoAide. I did last week when my stomach was bothering me some, and it seemed to help. I also threatened my stomach that if it didn’t work, I was going to take the whole bottom and start over! :slight_smile:

I’ve actually done this many times over the years before Keto, so I’m quite familiar with MC. If I ate something that caused me stomach aches or if I just didn’t feel right for say 2-4 days, I would take a whole bottle of MC and clean my system out. Usually took care of whatever the problem was. Sometimes it can just be something you ate, or something you stomach just doesn’t like? But I only did it when I could stay at home, and wait it out over the next 3 or 4 hours. …Not saying it’s fun, but it works. - Or I can just break a fast with eggs, which apparently seems to have the very same effect on me! :smirk:

(Frank) #199

Made it through mid am and then had to eat. Had a couple fried eggs bacon and handful of raspberries off the vine. Was feeling pretty crappy weak with a mild headache. 65 hrs was the longest I’ve ever gone on black coffee and water alone. I will say this. The closer to goal weight the harder this seems to be. Definitely not as many reserves as I used to have. 2-3 day fasts may be in my past possibly. I’m gonna feast tonight!

(Central Florida Bob ) #200

Magnesium citrate is powerful stuff. Pretty sure that’s what they gave me as the prep for my colonoscopy years ago.

I think I generated positive thrust on the toilet. I needed seat belts to keep from lifting off.