APRIL 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Herb Martin) #41

We are close enough together to call it the same Hardrock_keto_chick and damgal.

My wife (also Carol) and I started about 31 hours ago; I usually just count days so we just getting well into the 2nd day. She’s asleep, sleeping soundly I hope which will get her to 36 hours or so.

I frequently wake during the night, but will go back to bed soon.

As mentioned above it’s her first water fast so she’s not sure how long but is testing this out.

I’ll almost certainly stay on for 3-7 days though I don’t usually decide more than a couple of days into the future.

I am sort of hoping to break 200 lbs which would
take at 7 days plus or minus a bit. (217.5 now.)

Damgal, consider taking waist, arm, thigh measurements so you can see “inches” when the scale wants to argue.

Wish we had done that sooner. My body is remodeling on days even when the scale jumps up or down, or freezes. Having those measurements sooner would have given my Carol more motivation and reward while waiting on the scale.

Good health everyone. Happy fasting!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #42

I’m 34.5 hrs into a what should be a 72hr ish fast. Yesterday was my easiest first day fast ever. Had some hunger but was crazy productive at work doing technical project work, even with taking 3 or 4 short breaks to be in the sun.

I’m trying to get some daylight exposure these days that are warm enough. I work in a windowless basement. Probably won’t be out much today because it is below freezing now and going to be breezy and rainy.

Going to the gym in a few minutes and will do the hot tub after doing my lower body resistance training. Here is hoping for my easiest 2nd day.

(Herb Martin) #43

And Eric, too :slight_smile: we’re all at about the same spot.

I need to get our home gym setup – about 75% complete on clearing the room of boxes and junk, then have to wrangle that thing in there.

(That’s the resistance gym that was involved when I fell out of the moving van onto the concrete couple of weeks ago. Still in the garage.)

The sun is a really good idea Eric. I need to add that too.

(Robert Desrochers) #44

Hi everyone I’m at 48 hours into what I hope to be an EF as of 4:30AM I’ve been feeling Nauseous with some dry heaves I. Am drinking black coffee with a little salt and water
This is my first EF I have done a few 24 hours but this one is tougher
I’m also T2 and off all meds accept metformin and strict Keto as of January 16
My goal here is to clean up my liver and lose some weight
I have been monitoring my Bg seams to be running high in the beginning but coming. Down the longer I fast
Good luck everyone
Bob

(Tamela Robinette) #45

Nausea is not a good sign Bob, please be careful. Good luck on your journey!

(Tamela Robinette) #46

I am just under 56 hours into who knows how long I’ll go? Really considering breaking around 5 or 6 p.m. this evening which would be around 68 hours. Currently not hungry and feeling fine. Sleep is not going so well. I was really amped up yesterday and couldn’t fall asleep. I finally did, but woke up at 3:30 and couldn’t fall back asleep so I got up at around 4:15. The main reason I wanted to do a longer EF was to see if it would help some tendonitis I have been dealing with in my foot for a few years. It’s really been bothering me the past week and hindering my exercise routine. Well let me tell ya, I can feel it throbbing in my sleep! It’s never woke me up at night & it’s not what I call a true pain, it’s more of a burning, tingling annoying sensation. So my thought process is maybe it gets worse before it gets better? Really hopeful that is what is happening. Happy fasting everyone!

(Robert Desrochers) #47

Seams to have subsided with having added some salt in my coffee
This also happens at the end when doing a 24 hour fast

(Tamela Robinette) #48

Well that’s good news. If you’ve dealt with it before I’m sure you know your body. Glad it subsided!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #49

Thanks Herb,

Good to hear your wife has started down the fasting path. Mine is maybe 6 months behind yours. After 5 plus years of going to the gym and keto now for 9+ months I can lower myself onto my knees without any support and can rise as well. I don’t even have to use my hands at all.

I can’t remember when I could do this before, ever.

(Tamela Robinette) #50

I’m about to hit 60 hours. I can not believe this! I feel fine. As a matter of fact I just finished walking 6 miles and doing my yoga routine. I’m down 3 pounds and I can definitely tell I’m in full blown fat burning mode. Hoping for some autophagy. I’ve been binge watching IDM videos on fasting. One in particular with Megan Ramos and a lady named Eve who did a 10 day fast just after the holidays. Fascinating stuff. I’m learning so much.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #51

Checking in at 36 hours. Day 1 of no coffee went just fine!! No headache!! :sunglasses::dancer::muscle: Yesterday I had 2 keto-aids and lots of water and green tea.

I had trouble staying asleep last night and feel a little off this morning. My cycle started on Sunday and even today my weight is up 3 lbs over the end of last week. I’m trying to give my body all of the salt and water that it seems to want to hang on to right now. That should make for a nice whoosh later in this fast :slight_smile:

This week is busy, but not stressful, so everything seems to be in place for me to break my fasting record of 76 hours. I’m hoping to go for at least 100 :boom:

Hope everyone is well today!! I love how chatty this thread is already!! :purple_heart:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #52

Heeey, we are in sync… XD
Preparing by loading up on b Vitamin rich foods has had a huge impact on my cravings, they are non existent.
Still feel sluggisch though… But I don’t even want food at all… hope on 60 maybe… one more day…

(Herb Martin) #53

In my limited experience (and quite a bit of reading and forums), nausea from the fast is not common so watch that closely.

Consider these:

1. If you took medicine (or supplements) on an empty stomach that you usually take with food this can be hard for some people and that will definitely produce nausea in many cases. (high does B vitamins, B 100mg x ALL, and Omega/fish oil are worst for us in this regard.)

2. Be careful of SALT only if you go a long fast or drop a lot of weight/water. Potassium is at least as important as Sodium salt on the longer runs, and many of the docs say that “keto flu” is really dehydration/electrolytes, sodium first.

So many people are accustomed to avoiding salt, it’s easy to overlook that with no food you are missing something on the order of 4 grams your body receives every day. Add big weight drops to this as the carbs unload and you can lose even more.

My ‘water fast’ is really an ‘electrolyte fast’ (no sugars etc if I use commercial or I just make my own) with plenty of Na, K, and Magnesium and other electrolytes.

daddyoh Eric, my wife had both knees replaced, and one should repaired almost replaced, and both my knees and hips are replacements. I was starting consider both shoulders for repair/replacement after several years of 3 x year steroid injections when the pain would return.

Then I started carnivore, most for the weight loss, and because Jordan Peterson looked 10 years younger than he had 4 years earlier after doing it about a year. Without any expectation, neither should has ever twinged again, and I am over 1 year out from the last steroid injections.

Told my shoulder surgeon (walking through the office with my wife for her post-op knee check) and the immediate response was: “Carnivore, that’s an anti-inflammatory diet.”

Still say they might have mentioned that BEFORE the 3 years of pain and injections.

Not sure if I can get up and down without hands (easily) but that’s mostly due to the weird feeling (no pain) of putting a numb knee on the ground. I can get up without bending either knee or touching either knee to the ground (basically a push-up, then pike to downward dog and up, but I could do that the post- op week of my bilateral replacement.)

Robinette71Tamela, at 60 hours you are cooking along (forgive the allusion please. :slight_smile: )

Your photo shows you as pretty trim but for people with a lot of fat like me (maybe 40 lbs left and maybe being male), weight really started dropping away between the 3-7th or later days.

It was almost scary fast the first time. 22 lbs or so in 12 days, then almost 30 lbs in 14 the next time. (I gained a lot back but the fat wasn’t there, the gains were mostly water, and I did end up with real weight loss as well.)

Right now I am down about 4 1/2 since 2 full days ago, and we’re only just past 1.5 days on this fast.

You are doing fantastic, so enjoy as long as you feel good and want to keep going.

[andesite] Way to go. Especially with the no coffee. What’s a keto-aid? (I’ll google.)

If you feel good, do go for the 4 days (:boom: 100 hours :boom:) as long as you are having fun.

As to weight, you just have to factor in water retention as not very important to true weight loss and only an issue for how you feel.

Our scale tries to show water composition (along with weight and fat percentage) but it isn’t very good at the water though I think it’s pretty good at %fat.

Chat away – when you have time with your busy schedule. We love to hear about both your successes and challenges.

Hardrock_keto_chick If you are feeling Ok, you can go as long as you choose.

FYI Folks: My wife is sleeping better than she has in weeks or months (I think, since she isn’t even up yet and went to sleep about 10-11 hours ago.)

I was up most of the night – one issue for me is that fasting brings on the energy so I sleep 4 hours and then never got back to sleep so she didn’t seem to notice when I went back to bed, and then left again. (But I am stealthy and quiet like a ninja and got the dogs out very early so they wouldn’t wake her up to potty.)

She’ll be at 38 hours even if she gets up now, so sleep is a doubly good thing for her.

I found some really good sites for AFIB that I need to check out today. Mine is under control but I’m still taking medicine and now I have a mild (Type 1) left bundle branch block so I want to get off more medicine (because it could well be the anti-arrhythmic drugs or the blood pressure meds causing the heart block, or it could just be low magnesium etc.)

Carol has dropped 3 serious meds as of now and has several targetted for reduction as soon as we are sure she’s stabilized without those others – and she take a LOT of different meds for a variety of significant chronic issues (5+).

I’ve dropped 3 (one still tentative), and I’m in the process of reducing the blood pressure meds as the weight disappears and my body heals.

Need to get my cardiologist to prescribe and EXA Test (magnesium and other minerals) – hard to figure out why she never did this or similar since she is quite good. (Probably saved my life in 2011 though a bit conventional probably.)

Happy Fasting and Good Health to everyone whether you fasting now or just lurking in preparation…

Stay safe out there folks.

Hi, all i have been keto for 3 months , 5 weeks IF with 3-72 hr. EF. Im currently in hour 36 of my first 120 hr fast. (Hopefully). I’m really excited for this fast, i planned better all the previous were broken for social events. Which I’m ok with, but there is nothing on my calendar to break this one.
I have been naturally weaning myself off my coffee with a splash of cream and drop of stevia. I just dont want it anymore, i think i just carry it around in my travel mug for comfort.
I am so happy to have found this place for support and help. I read everyday on here, and several times a day during my EF. I love fasting, i was telling my husband that i think I’m addicted to it. It is so empowering to not eat and control myself to that extent. Especially because I’m a chef, and i have a large family i still have to cook for daily. I love it!!!
Anyway, thought i would finally say hello and thanks to all the expert advice i have read.
GO APRIL FASTERS!!!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #55

hmmm, you motivate me to try and go further :heart_eyes: welcome!

I know, right?? Everyone here has motivated me without even knowing it. I always hate day 2 then BOOM day 3 and i feel awesome, but sadly never made it past that only because of social gatherings. I just keep telling myself… im not in this to win anything, and its not a race. And i think its so important to enjoy life so i break my fast BUT am very proud to say have never cheated on keto. Only because i feel i may be weak and binge badly. So no cheating even on social gatherings.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #57

Thanks! Here’s the link to Brenda Zorn’s Keto Aid.

(Jennifer) #58

More IF/TRE this week. I’m trying to fix my gut, so I’m going Carnivore for a couple weeks. Not sure yet if I’ll extend much beyond 24 hours this week, but we’ll see. I feel good, and I’m not looking to drop all the weight right now.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #59

Jennifer - let us know how that goes. I’m considering doing the same but am still on the fence.

(Jennifer) #60

I thoroughly enjoyed my fatty pork chops last night, but found myself envious of the broccoli salad I’d made for the rest of the family. I love my veggies, but I want to feel better. I’ve had various gut/IBS issues all my life, and it’s gradually gotten better with cutting out wheat, then going low carb, etc… Hopefully, this will help me determine a culprit, if there is one.