APRIL 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

I would research it some TBH. I just recall reading something about it, and have heard some here mention it. I just play it safe and do water only. … Plus, I like that I remove ‘all flavors’ during Fasting, since it makes everything taste so much better when I do eat. :wink:

(Tamela Robinette) #22

Yeah I think I’ll attempt water only next time, too late now. I have reduced my full strength coffee intake down to 1 cup a day then I switch to decaf if I have another cup or two (which I usually do lol.) Maybe I’ll attempt to skip coffee tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Just concerned about caffeine withdrawal and the dreaded headache.

(Doug) #23

Feels like a good time to fast… Oh wait - I’m in New Orleans with my wife and today is our anniversary. 19 years. Heh - the fasting is going to have to wait.

:smile: … Awe, just go ahead and eat something Doug. … Ice works. :laughing:

Happy Anniversary too! :+1:

(Tamela Robinette) #25

I found the answer Dave and I’m relieved.

Apparently coffee (black) consumption, regular or decaf, increases autophagy! Woooo hooo!

(Christiana) #26

Hi All! Happy to see this thread. I’m a long-time extended faster, although these days I’m having to limit my fasting to 24-36 hour fasts since I’m nursing an infant. I’m mixing it up a lot these days. Today I enjoyed a 24-hour fast, and a fasted power lifting workout that went super well. Happy April, and looking forward to chatting fasting with you all!

Welcome, Christiana. :slight_smile: You have found a great forum to join, along with some fantastic folks. :+1:

That would be very cool indeed. And yep, I’ve read that similarly somewhere too, and V actually was asking me about this not a couple weeks ago. But as I told her, for every article I found that said it was good, I found one that said it wasn’t? So baring on the side of (I really don’t know?) I just played it safe and stuck with water only Fasting. :smile: … But the article V pointed out said just drinking Coffee itself would also help when taken before a workout. (May be the same article?) … But I wish they did know for sure. :slight_smile:

:heart::heart::heart:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #29

I’m back into fasting this month
Got a bit confused for awhile there so using it to focus on losing that last bit of weight
I did a 92 hour fast last week with a 10.2lb loss, I refed on Saturday and begun another Sunday night.
Currently 38 hours fasted, this is my schedule until all the weight is gone then I will be 1MAD.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #30

Wow, you are jumping right in. Coffee black is supposed to stimulate autophagy. There are pubmed papers that highlight that. I’ve seen people state that ACV does top autophagy and that because it reduces insulin might stimulate it. So the jury is out on ACV.

(Tamela Robinette) #31

Thanks Eric. I was pretty certain the ACV would since it contains trace amounts of protein so I will just avoid it until proven otherwise. Giving up my coffee is a whole other battle. I gave up my HWC a couple of weeks ago, which was pretty hard in and of itself. I’d be hard pressed to give up my java lol.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #32

Try cutting back on coffee when not fasting. Last time I did that I did not get a headache. Maybe I’m lucky. I had my last cup this fast at 10 hrs (4:00 am) and then stopped. I do drink black and green tea while fasting. But I’m mostly in it for the weight loss. Wouldn’t be cool to have a pee stick to tell us if we are in autophagy?

(Tamela Robinette) #33

Yes it would! I might try to skip my usual cup in the morning and see how I feel. That’s the whole problem though, we really don’t know if we are or we aren’t? I’ve read some stuff that says autophagy kicks in at 16 to 18 hours and some that say 42? But IF supposedly promotes some autophagy so who knows? I want full on autophagy to heal this old body! Hahaha

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #34

Blockquote first glance, I actually read this as Meatless Monday! I was about to scream… WHY???

Same here :wink:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #35

It seems like there is uncertainty about everything but water and black or green tea, so I’m sticking to water and green tea. I’m with you on the need to heal! Also I’m getting some sagging skin from my weight loss, so would love to give that a chance to tighten up :slight_smile:

I went back and blurred everything.

Re: snacking… I’m not snacking. I’ve been trying to start an EF for a week now and every day I would cave around dinner time and had to have something.

I was successful today in not eating. Going to try to get through tomorrow and after that I’m hoping for clear sailing.

(Heather) #37

You can do it! :muscle: Those first couple of days are the hardest.

(Herb Martin) #38

My wife and I are now into the start of Day #2 of an extended water fast – her first, and I am so delighted with her progress and excellent spirit.

She’s off to bed so she’s good to go until morning in all probability.

It would really be lovely for her to achieve 3 days but I’m being very careful to be supportive but not pushy.

Interesting how helpful it has been for me to have heard and answered so many questions from beginners that have come up for her also.

(I’m lucky to have come into extended fasting from half a year of carnivore diet so never really had a difficult time getting started and really wouldn’t have known what a beginner should expect without all the good people here, on Facebook, and Twitter who went through the first few days.)

My ketones are just starting to rise from the bare minimum 0.4 they had leveled out to after 10 days of carnivore following my last (14-day fast.)

0.7, not much, but it’s officially ketogenic. I was up at 6 to 7+ for the second half of that last fast.

I’ll definitely stick with her as long as she wants to go for it, and will likely start working towards 7 days in any case.

(I don’t really plan the exact length, just go as long as I feel good and don’t get too bored.)

It would be very nice to break 200 lbs this time and I’m at 218 right now.

Hope you all are feeling well and having SOME FUN with your FASTING.

The more fun you can make of it the easier it becomes – I try to “make it a game” as much as possible for that reason. (Without taking the game seriously.)

(Carol) #39

Hello fasting friends! You’re all getting ahead of me. :slight_smile: I left the house early and got home late so am impromptu fasting at 28 hours. I won’t know until I wake up tomorrow if this is a short one or maybe 72ish? I like that lighter feeling even if the scale likes to argue. Happy health everyone!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #40

33h in I am fatigued but not hungry. A little melancholic, but that will pass. I was almost caving in and said “you are not hungry, you have your reserves” I am having my morning coffee black. Should I not feel better in an hour I can have a tbsp or two of coconut oil in my coffee. But the fasting high will hopefully kick in soon…